This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SiCKO

edited December 2007 in Movies
I just finished watching this movie and it is pretty disturbing, I had thought I might move to the US in a few years but I didn't realise that your Government has such a poor Medical system. The Australian system is much like the British and Canadian systems but doesn't go to the extreme lengths of the amazing French SOS system.

I think I'm just fine staying in Australia as having the best of both countries and less of the crappy aspects of both countries (the US part is conjecture based on the movie and what my Aunts and Godmother describe, as US citizens, but I've lived in Britain for 4 months).

How misleading or accurate is this film to others in the US?

Comments

• I had thought I might move to the US in a few years but I didn't realise that your Government has such a poor Medical system.
    Well, calling it poor is a little misleading. It's poor for the poor, but it's fantastic for the moderately wealthy. Pretty-much any middle-class job will give you enough insurance to cover most problems, and skilled doctors are plentiful.

I'd say that overall, the majority of Americans have adequate insurance coverage and medical access. The problems that exist come from two main sources:
    1. The system cannot easily handle the very poor and uninsured.
    2. People here do not fully understand the issue, and aren't willing to do the "cruel math" required to solve it.