This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Knucklebones magazine

edited December 2007 in Board Games
Anyone here get knucklebones magazine? It seems my game made it on the cover of the January issue but I have no idea what they wrote about it.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the 'wanna be a game designer' article.

Comments

• I'm guessing it has something to do with the 'wanna be a game designer' article.
    Maybe they think it's a good stocking stuffer?
  • I'm guessing it has something to do with the 'wanna be a game designer' article.
    Maybe they think it's a good stocking stuffer?
    I thought about that but the game in the back is a bit large to fit in a stocking.
  • You would think they'd make sure you got a copy if your game made it to the front cover.
  • You would think they'd make sure you got a copy if your game made it to the front cover.
    I contacted them over the weekend and they offered to send me a few free issues. I'll probably get them by the end of the week.

I also received a preliminary offer by an online game company to turn it into a flash-based web game. I'm a bit leery of that one as I have heard from too many game designers getting screwed on those deals. The game site offers to pay a share of the profit the game makes and then they give the game away for free.
  • Would it be that hard to pay someone on the forum to do it for you and licence it out?
  • Would it be that hard to pay someone on the forum to do it for you and licence it out?
    The problem comes down to money and exposure.

The game is not a hard game to "computerize" but once it goes digital it is out of your hands. I already have one company that has purchased the license to make a "hard copy" of the game with world-wide distribution rights. Any online version of the game would have to compliment hard copy sales not eviscerate them!

It's mostly about market penetration. Going with a company that says they can get your game on Xbox Live is far better than a company that will just code up a flash game that will end up on every flash game website on the web.

When you bring a product to market there is so much more to consider than just the cost to manufacture the product. You also need to know how the product will get to consumers. You can have the most kick-ass product out there and still die in obscurity.
  • If you want to make money from a flash game, kongregate.com is not a bad deal.
  • Anyone here get knucklebones magazine? It seems my game made it on the cover of the January issue but I have no idea what they wrote about it.
    Congratulations on (1) getting your game published and (2) getting it on the cover! I subscribe to the magazine and have that issue lying around somewhere. Which one of those games is yours?
  • Quartile is mine.

So, what's it doing in the magazine?
  • Nice looking game. The tiles and game box look gorgeous. Good to see that Vasel gave you a good review, for what that's worth. ;)

It's in an article about party games you can play with kids. Yeah, for some reason, they think it's a party game, although they do qualify that by saying, "If you want something a little quieter and more thoughtful" or words to that effect.

Sorry for not replying sooner. I guess I should check the forums more frequently than once every 10 days....
  • Yeah, for some reason it has been classified as a party or kids game by a few reviewers. I think Major Fun did that article.