This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

edited December 2007 in Movies
Just thought I'd put up a thread to say that I am REALLY excited to see Tim Burton's movie version of Sweeney Todd, which comes out on the 21st of December. Oh man, you guys have no idea how stoked I feel. :D

I've been a fan of the original musical and of Sondheim works in general for years now. I think West Side Story is the only other movie adaptation of a Sondheim piece that I've ever seen. The last Sondheim piece to be adapted into a movie was A Little Night Music, back in 1978, so he's long overdue for another work of his to be adapted. And what better to adapt than one of his most popular (and what must be his darkest) works of all?

Here's a summary of the plot from IMDb, for those who don't know it already: "Benjamin Barker, a skilled barber with a lovely wife who is pregnant with their child, suddenly loses everything. He is sent away on a trumped-up charge to prison at Botany Bay, by the nefarious Judge Turpin, who has designs on his wife. Fast-forward some years later, when Benjamin escapes with help from the steadfast friendly sailor Anthony Hope. Returning to London and taking the name Sweeney Todd, he seeks to find out what has happened to his family. Mrs. Nellie Lovett, the widow who ran the bakery downstairs from Barker's shop, (and always had a crush on him), tells him of their horrible fate, which sends Barker/Todd over the edge into madness, consumed by the thirst for revenge against the Judge. Ever-practical, with the possibility of murder and mayhem afoot, Mrs. Lovett thinks of a fiendishly clever way that they can both make a killing...literally. But she hasn't been forthcoming about everything, unbeknownst to her new partner, and the engines of Fate begin to grind and roar, bearing all the parties involved to an unexpected and devastating denouement..."

I was dubious at first of seeing Burton's usual visual style in the early promotional photographs, and I didn't really like how "fake" Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter looked in their costumes and make-up. But now, after seeing the trailer, a behind-the-scenes featurette, and long clips of the music, I am far more pleased with the work that's been done for this movie. My worst fears are gone - Johnny can actually sing, the lead actors don't look too young for their roles, and the Burton style really works for the material better than I initially thought. The art direction and cinematography look spectacular, and there seems to be a TON of thought behind every decision made from the costumes to the sets to the make-up to the way characters are portrayed. I also now realize that the reason behind everyone looking a little bit "fake" is that they were trying to emulate the look of characters from silent horror films, which I think is really smart now.

The most heartening thing that I've heard, I think, was Stephen Sondheim himself praising the work that Burton has done. Also, he stated that he much prefers "actors who sing rather than singers who act," so he's probably not that put out by the fact that some of the singing voices (HBC's especially) are a little less than spectacular at points. So long as the soul of the character comes through strong and passionate, a little flat singing here and there won't hurt.

In short: OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGSWEENEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!111!1!!!ELEVENTY111!!!!!

Comments

• Johhny Depp is the most versatile actor around today. No one even comes close.
  • Oh, look. Another Tim Burton movie starring Helena Bonham Carter. I wonder how she got the role.
  • Johhny Depp is the most versatile actor around today. No one even comes close.
    This man speaks the truth. Listen to it.
  • edited December 2007
    Johhny Depp is the most versatile actor around today. No one even comes close.
    This man speaks the truth. Listen to it.
    Agreed. He's one of my favorites.

Plus I'm really looking forward to this movie too. I love most of Tim Burton's stuff.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Oh, look. Another Tim Burton movie starring Helena Bonham Carter. I wonder how she got the role.
    From what I understand, she actually auditioned for the musical composer, and he agreed that she was the best choice. Link
  • I am really excited as I am going to see this tomorrow night. Tim Burton is the shizz!
  • D'oh! >.<

I didn't know that was coming out this weekend. Unfortunately, I plan on seeing The Golden Compass first. It looks pretty damn cool, and I'm all about the sexy Daniel Craig. ^_~
  • edited December 2007
    Oh, look. Another Tim Burton movie starring Helena Bonham Carter. I wonder how she got the role.
    From what I understand, she actually auditioned for the musical composer, and he agreed that she was the best choice.Link
    Yeah, I was raising an eyebrow of the choice of HBC too, at first. Then I heard that apart from Johnny Depp, who came attached to the project whether Sondheim liked it or not (and Sondheim ended up liking Johnny in the end), everyone else had to audition for Sondheim and he ultimately made the choices about who would be right for all the parts. And oh man, outside the two main characters, I'm especially pleased with Sacha Baron Cohen as Pirelli. That could not be a more perfect choice for such an over-the-top, dialect-heavy role. Holy man, if you don't believe me, check out this clip.

Also, from song clips I've heard on the official site and the Amazon soundtrack listing, the kid they have playing Toby sounds fantastic, and so sweet! :D
    I am really excited as I am going to see this tomorrow night. Tim Burton is the shizz!
    Wow, you have an advance screening going on already? Lucky! D:
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Yeah, its not coming out this weekend, my school (Chapman University in Orange, CA) is hosting an advance screening of the film. Actually my school has had many advance screenings. I recently saw Juno, the new comedy from Jason Reitman (director of Thank You For Smoking). It was fantastic and I would encourage all of you to see it when it comes out. And just last night I saw The Bucket List, with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It comes out on Christmas, so it was only 3 weeks advanced, but still. That film was also great and you all should go see that as well.

I am a little dubious of the choice to not use Danny Elfman music, but I'm sure the music from the stage show will be great (as I have not heard any of it yet). I am also really really interested to see how Tim Burton films a musical, it is something that he has never done before.
  • Tim Burton is my favorite director, so I am really looking forward to this movie.
    I submit Christian Bale.
  • edited December 2007
    If anyone is curious, here are the videos of the behind-the-scenes featurette that I saw. This is what really made me confident that this movie will kick some major ass. :D

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZcHNmFdiuQ
    Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXpVu3R8rw
    Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmZWp1W9Pk
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Just like I said in the anime utahime forum.

OMT I'm not the only one! *does the para-para.*
  • Well, I saw it last night and it was less than amazing. Many of the songs should have been removed. There were at least 4 scenes that I can name specifically which would have been better without the singing. Technically the movie was brilliant: the cinematography, the editing, the direction, set/costume design, and the acting were all top notch. It was just the damn singing. I am not the biggest fan of musicals to begin with, but I understand why some are great. The songs in this one, for the most part, failed to engage me in any way. I think I would still mildly recommend the movie to people, especially fans of musicals. My final score would be 7/10 for the film as a whole.
  • lol, if you hated the abundance of singing in the movie, you wouldn't like the original musical either. Like many Broadway musicals, there is a lot more singing than talking going on all the time. That's just the nature of that genre of entertainment, and you either like it or you don't.
  • I understand that and I don't have a problem with a lot of musicals. This one just had a few songs that grated on me; and from an aspiring film maker's perspective I was looking at a couple of the scenes for how suspenseful they could have been it Alan Rickman was not singing right now. Also, like I said I still liked the movie, just not as much as I wanted to. Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors and I hate to see a less than amazing movie from one of my favorites.
  • That's why none of the trailers after the first showed the singing. They're marketing the film to folks wanting to see a horror film - who will be let down - but those of us musical nuts will get what we wanted. I'm looking forward to it.
  • edited December 2007
    There are a couple songs in the musical that I don't like, personally - "Johanna" and "Pretty Women." They're both annoying to me, and in the case of "Pretty Women," I can't make myself believe that Sweeney would wait to sing that song instead of doing what he was going to do right away. But on the whole, I don't think those songs bring down the musical for me significantly since everything else is so strong, so I don't actually take more than half-a-point off for those on my personal scale. That may just be another difference between us as musical watchers.

I'm glad you didn't hate the movie, at least. From your comments, I can tell that I'm probably still going to enjoy it as much as I enjoy the stage show since your major complaints lie with things that don't bother me, personally. :)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Those songs are pretty much the ones that I had a problem with. The scene with the Judge on the chair would have been extremely suspenseful, but they had them singing, so it was not.
  • So, you went to a musical and had a problem because it had singing?
  • edited December 2007
    Well, saw the movie today, and will probably be seeing it again tomorrow and the next day. :)

Overall, I was more than satisfied with this adaptation. It's visually beautiful, the orchestration is magnificent, the acting is fairly good, and the singing really grew on me, especially now that I see it set against the characters in motion. "Pretty Women" still bugged me the way it always did in the stage show, but I was surprised that Anthony's "Johanna" solo didn't bug me at all since they trimmed it down, I think.

My biggest issues with the movie were with how fake the bloody parts were (Kill Bill-style gore doesn't really seem to fit with the style this movie's going for), and how the thing with the Beggar Woman was a bit too easy to spot in this version. Including her at the very beginning after Todd and Anthony get off the boat the way it happens in the stage show and including her funny prostitution bit would have done wonders for her character in the movie. Oh well, at least a bit of her prostitution gag is still on the soundtrack.

But anyway, on the whole, I still loved it, and I don't think its faults are big enough to really knock off any points with me, personally. Go see it, everyone! :)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Ok, this is semi-off topic, but whoever says "the winner is Todd," is in Enchanted, I think.
    Sorry, I like noticing things, so just ignore this.
  • I saw the film earlier tonite. I haven't seen the stage show, nor heard the soundtrack. But, I'm in Into the Woods right now, so I figured I'd better check out a Sondheim movie. Wow. I can't take my wife to see this with all the blood, but I honestly wouldn't have enjoyed it as much had the shock value not been there. Very well done by most of the actors and Depp was phenomenal.
  • Ok, this is semi-off topic, but whoever says "the winner is Todd," is in Enchanted, I think.
    Sorry, I like noticing things, so just ignore this.
    I haven't seen Enchanted yet, but the actor who says that is Timothy Spall. The character he plays in Sweeney is named Beadle Bamford. Most people probably know Spall better as Wormtail/Peter Pettigrew from the Harry Potter movies.
  • Helena Bonham Carter
    Excuse me, I just vomited all over my keyboard.
  • edited December 2007
    *looks at the movie's credits*

Holy crap! A Tim Burton movie WITHOUT Danny Elfman?!

An anomaly has been created! You CAN divide by zero!
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • He did Ed Wood without Danny Elfman also. Howard Shore did the music for that one.
  • The movie was a little creepier than I thought it would be, because I was expecting something Nightmare Before Christmas-ish. I definitely wasn't expecting all of the music , and I laughed when I first heard it (I didn't know anything about it before I saw it except for what I saw in previews). I have to say, if it wasn't for that music, I would have been completely grossed out and hiding behind my chair the whole time. I didn't know Johnny could pseudo-sing. :)