This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Surprise! GOP in IOWA more concerned about Religion!

edited December 2007 in Politics
"Questions about religion—in particular skepticism about Romney's Mormonism—appeared to play a role in the latest results on the GOP side. The survey was completed on the day of the former Massachusetts governor's much-heralded speech in College Station, Texas, addressing his religion, though most respondents probably had not heard it. Still, only a small number of the 540 Republican voters surveyed in Iowa (10 percent) said they wanted to hear more from Romney about that issue, and close to half (46 percent) said at least some Iowa Republican voters will not consider supporting Romney because of his Mormon faith. More than a quarter (27 percent) said they don't consider Mormons to be Christians, and one in six (16 percent) said they are less likely to support Romney because he is a Mormon.

Huckabee's religious credibility, by the same token, appears to be a key factor behind his surge. Huckabee has opened up a huge lead among evangelicals, who are likely to make up about 40 percent of GOP caucus-goers on Jan. 3, the survey found. Among all Republican voters who identify themselves as evangelicals, 47 percent support Huckabee while only 14 percent back Romney. Among nonevangelicals, the two candidates are dead even at 24 percent apiece. Even so, a majority of Republican voters indicated that other issues, such as abortion, same-sex marriage, immigration, health care and Iraq, are more important than religion. "

Huckabee Surges

I don't know about you but I really really don't want a former evangelical minster being the GOP candidate. I find this especially ironic because this news-article comes a few days after Romney (the Mormon) made a big "important" speech about religion and Mormonism. This was done supposedly to try and show other Christians that they have nothing to fear from a Mormon candidate. I guess what this survey really displayed was that people who were saying they were going to vote for Romney did not really know he was Mormon and now that they do, they don't want to support them. Ahhh.... American politics our choice is always between a douche and a turd sandwich. (unless somehow Obama gets elected)

Comments