This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A college ignores the constitution

edited December 2007 in Politics
Check out this article about a Minnesota college that turned a "meditation room" into a mosque.

I have no problem with giving students space to pray. But supporting something that is overtly sexist and anti-semitic is just unconscionable. The college actually constructed a divider to keep women separated from men. Unbelievable.

Comments

• I'm curious about the college president's motivation. I'm also wondering why a community college is using public funds for any kind of non-curriculum religious expenditures.
  • I suspect that the president is simply scared of the Muslims. After all, what other religion has been able to censor political cartoonists? There is a segment of the Muslim population that uses threats and violence to get what they want, regardless of what the constitution says. I have no knowledge that this was the climate on the campus, but I suspect the president was too afraid to find out.
  • Hmmm, anyone can use the Meditation room... Hmmm, where are the non-Muslim students making religious meetings there? Where are the hippies smoking there during prayer times? Where are the pirates praising the Flying Spaghetti Monster once a week there? That'd be something I'd try to do.
  • Look what happened to the poor female student that decided to enter the "male" side of the room.
  • Look what happened to the poor female student that decided to enter the "male" side of the room.
    Hence why I was talking about groups. Armed with the dean's quote that it "is open to everyone." I mean, what the heck can those Muslim students do then?
  • Here is a serious question.

Why don't feminists take a stand against the radical Muslims? If we fought apartheid, why don't we take the same position for women's rights? I can accept cultural differences, but denying women basic human rights just goes too far.

I've never understood why women's rights groups are largely silent.
  • edited December 2007
    I've never understood why women's rights groups are largely silent.
    I don't get it either. The closest I've come to explaining it to myself is that some people do a balancing test between the religious freedom of Muslims and women's rights and find that the religious freedom of Muslims outweighs women's rights.

These are usually the same people who'll turn around and gasp in horror at the terrible, horrible, dastardly injustice that the Catholic Church won't let women be priests.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • They wanted to lynch a woman who named a teddy bear after the prophet, need we say any more?
  • They wanted to lynch a woman who named a teddy bear after the prophet, need we say any more?
    Actually, it was the school kids that chose the name. Even crazier.
  • I've never understood why women's rights groups are largely silent.
    It's because muslims are not white American males.
  • It's a paradox for most people who are staunchly on one political side. If you think that we should all accept everyone's beliefs as they are, then you support people who follow radical Islam (among others). But, if you support women's rights, then you can't support radical Islam (or those others). This is one of those fights where people who fight for one side in American politics regardless of issue can't win. It's why the middle is a good place to be.

As for the new mini-mosque, I'm all for the college students taking it back. If it is meant for all students, then everything related to any specific religion needs to be removed. Period. If you want to come in and have a prayer service and divide up the sexes and oppress women, fine, but make it portable and removable. Any permanent installation under the guise of an open area is flat-out wrong.

BTW, what do you think the reaction would be if a giant crucifix had been installed? And not the wimpy, Protestant crosses. I mean the old-school Catholic "Dead and bleeding Jesus" crucifixes.