This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What do you think about National Treasure? (SPOILER?)

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
Today I was taken at 10 AM to the movies to go see National Treasure: Book Of Secrets, and I automatically thought of GeekNights and this forum. I was just wondering, what is your "stance" on this movie in relation to crazy conspiracy theorists? Do you think it's more fuel to the crack-pot fire? Also, what do you think of it as a movie and why?

I guess that anything will make a good fuel for crazy conspiracies, considering most of the crazies don't have a great grasp on the way that things work, but I think of this as a calling for people to go out and do these things. I also don't think it did that well for a movie, but that it was ok for time-waster. I don't have any real complaints about it, I just thought it was meh and didn't hook me as much as the first one did.

Oh, and a kinda SPOILER WARNING, the internet has ruined my mind. Near the very beginning of the movie, the phrase "sic semper tyrannis" (sorry if that's wrong) comes up, and I thought someone was gonna get shot with a clown pistol, which woulda made the movie cooler.

Comments

• Well as far as fueling conspiracies I can't see a Nicholas Cage movie doing any of that. As far as a film goes though it was relatively entertaining. The bits of history and such are always interesting.

Where Sic Semper tyrannis is concerned I too thought of clown pistols, only it was a bit of an after thought. I was more just impressed that they thought to have from John Wilkes Booth use it like the claims, and his diary, say he did. Lastly I can't really see that being a spoiler seeing as it's got nothing to really do with the movie on it's on. It's the fucking assassination of Lincoln. Anyone who knows even a remote amount of history should know that Booth supposedly shouted it. So anyone who got spoiled by it, just to let you know Jesus died came back and now we praise a fat guy and hide eggs, Hitler killed a bunch of people, then killed himself on his honey moon, and JFK got shot in the head.
  • Lastly I can't really see that being a spoiler seeing as it's got nothing to really do with the movie on it's on. It's the fucking assassination of Lincoln. Anyone who knows even a remote amount of history should know that Booth supposedly shouted it. So anyone who got spoiled by it, just to let you know Jesus died came back and now we praise a fat guy and hide eggs, Hitler killed a bunch of people, then killed himself on his honey moon, and JFK got shot in the head.
    Kinda why I had it as a question, and now I feel stupid for not knowing about Sic Semper Tyrannis...
  • I enjoyed both of the movies. I know that they are rediculous, but I have fun watching them. I do like the stories that try and tie into history in interesting ways, they entertain me. (I just realized that I said the same thing three different ways at the end of each of the sentences . . . oh well) I would recommend the 2nd movie to people who liked the first one, as they are essentially the same. I don't think they are going to fuel any conspiracy theorists (unless they are really stupid).