This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Speed Limit on US Freeways

RymRym
edited May 2006 in Everything Else
Today, when I got into my car, I decided to try something. For one week, I'll drive exactly the speed limit: no more, no less, no matter where I go. We're slowly putting together our research for a Thursday episode on the current speed limit system and how we feel that it's broken, and this seems like a useful bit of research.

If my experience commuting this morning is any indication, I'll have one hell of a story...

Comments

• Texas might be going to an 80 mph speed limit. I'm for higher limits, but I would couple it with more stringent drivers tests like in Germany.
  • Our thoughts exactly.

Speed limits are an outdated concept. Instead, there should be two posted numbers on any road (three on freeways):
    1. Maximum Speed: It is unlawful to ever exceed this speed. This is the maximum safe speed as determined by highway engineers
    2. Optimal Speed: This is the recommended speed based on the road's specific use and path, again as determined by highway engineers.
    3. Minimum Speed: It is unlawful to travel below this speed except in extenuating circumstances
  • Agreed, Thaed. In any case, a driver's lisence test should be harder. None of this raising the age crap.
  • Yeah...

Apparantly kids today can't get their license until they're 18 in many places. I had a car when I was 15 and got my license on my 16th birthday.
  • Here in Kansas, you can get a restricted license if you're 15, which means you can go to and from school. Then at 16, you get your driver's license. However, if you're 14 and your parents farm, you can get a driver's license early.

I'll be 17 in 17 days and I don't have a car yet. It's funny how my parents complain about me not getting rides from them, but I have to have a life. Otherwise they need to get me a car.

If you don't have a car in high school, you just find somebody who does and mooch off them every once in a while. If you live in states like California, and you have to be 18 to drive, then you find a senior and get rides from them.
  • In ohio you can have your license at 15 but cant drive at night.

The worst driving i have seen is on the WV/Virgina Turnpike speed limit is 70 and the road winds. Most people go 90 or near that.
  • http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5366552067462745475&q=speedlimit

I had seen this a while ago and thought it was interesting.

Also, in Wisconsin you can get your temps at 15 1/2, and the real deal when you turn 16. It doesn't affect me any more, but I have always thought harder tests are a better idea than higher ages. I know 20 year olds who shouldn't be driving.
  • Yay Atlanta :)

That was a very interesting movie, I would actually like to see a longer more fleshed out movie with interviews with officials and stuff. Still, I thought it was a pretty neat. Good find :)
  • At least in the U.S you have decent roads and more then 2 lanes!
  • Yes! Despite the inane speeding laws, travel is very swift and easy here. One can drive from Rochester NY to Detroit MI (~320 miles) in about 5 hours with relative ease.
  • Imagine if the speeding laws were fixed. That trip would be 3 hours and life would be grand.