This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How has Geeknights influenced you?

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
I have:
  • Bought Carcassonne; first on XBLA, then in real life
  • Caught myself using "Oh mans" in everyday speech
  • Bought DDR + mat for the XBox; it's fun but you wouldn't want to be caught doing it, like having sex with a sheep
  • Swapped email for Gmail; podcasts = Google Reader
  • Bought Etymotics; now I can listen to Geeknights and get hit by a bus at the same time
  • Started watching Cowboy Bebop, the first anime I've watched in years
  • Been given an old DS, and my first reaction was not to throw it at the nearest two-year-old
  • Bought an old-fashioned safety razor; it doesn't give nearly as good a shave as the Mach 3 but I use it when I'm not working
  • Thrown away my 360 in protest at the evil that is Achievements
  • Lied about one of the above

Comments

• I rarely sleep anymore. ^_~
  • Bought an old-fashioned safety razor; it doesn't give nearly as good a shave as the Mach 3 but I use it when I'm not working
    You're doing it wrong, then.

If you have a thick beard or thick stubble, you need an open comb to get a close shave. Also, make sure you're using the right mix of soap and water. When in doubt, err on the side of more water.
  • Also, the brush is the more important part than the razor.
  • I have:
    Thrown away my 360 in protest at the evil that is Achievements
    Lied about one of the above
    I hope you lied about that because I certain purpled headed girl yearns for one. *yearns* LOL

Well Rym and Scott has provoked thoughts about many issues and geekeries through Geeknights.

My tastes in anime and manga has broadened. I wouldn't of ever discovered gekiga or heard of some titles on my own.

I really, REALLY want to try some of those board games they talk about. I especially want to try Burning Wheel. My friends and I like RPing and it seems really cool.

Okay, this is the point where my forum reply will become....probably lamerish. Probably too weird. Probably too femme. Probably fangirlish and scary. It depends on ones take on it.

Geeknights was the first podcast I listened too and through it I got into other podcasts. Most of my entertainment comes from podcasts instead of TV with the exception of anime DVD's, manga and books. I met cool folk online like Thaed and Tenchi through the forums here. I learned about thing I never noticed before. I think I became a much better geeky person as well. The biggest influence has to be me becoming a podcaster myself. I look up to them as a great example and strive to have good quality too. I found a hobby I really enjoy and cool stuff to listen too. My ambitions and geekery is the highest it's ever been and I'm super happy.

All this just because I picked up that CD at Katsucon. Who fucking knew. ^_^
  • Caught myself using "Oh mans" in everyday speech
    Hopefully this isn't the lie, because I do that too. Curses on my habit of picking up other people's speech patterns!!
  • Eh... started using RSS and of course Google Reader to gather them (no use for software on your comp when a browser does the same only better). Lots of lulz, like awesome TotD's, crazy forum threads and crazy talk on the show. (PSSSSSST, NEEDS MORE GUESTS!) Aaaaaand... Good start for opinions about some anime. Can't come up with more.
    • I spent part of an Amazon gift certificate I got on Apollo's Song. It should ship in a day or two.
    • I Netflix'ed the Death Note anime, and was pleased to find my wife enjoys watching it with me
  • Things Rym and Scott have learnt from their forums: they'll be unemployed when the depression hits, all their friends will desert them, and they're both jerks... but at least they'll have each other for the gay sex!
  • edited December 2007
    Also, the brush is the more important part than the razor.
    I'll buy one of those badger hair ones then. The one I have is made from horse, or some type of rodent.

Edit: actually it's from the Body Shop, so it's probably made from petrochemicals or solidified DDT, rather than animals.
    Post edited by Paulathon on
  • They are definitely an influence. You can't listen to a show 4 hours a week and not pick up things. I agree with Viga too about becoming a bigger geek. These guys have embraced the lifestyle with such fervor, it is infectious.
  • WHY DIDN'T I SEE VIGA'S POST!? OR KAGE'S POST!? Curse me and my browsing behavior.

Anyways, I agree, I have become more geeky, or well, my geekyness has developed faster. To quote an old show.
    Scott: What's the thing that...
    Rym: A catalyst
    (Note: this quote might not be 100% correct, at least on Scott's part of the quote, there're more words there.)
    Geeknights has been a catalyst for my geekiness. (I cannot decide whether to use a 'y' or an 'i'. Sue me.) They are also a great source of knowledge, mostly unintended. Big words means Nine dictionary.com's. Or wiki's. Uninterruptible Power Source/Supply.
  • Got Burning Wheel all thanks to Geeknights.
    Got more interested about boardgames.
    Got old Half-life 1 so I could play natural selection.

Those are kinda clear and I can remember at least.
  • Not in any way.
  • edited December 2007
    Becoming more intelligent with regards to living within my means (from the "How Not to Suck at Money" episode)

Becoming very judgemental in the types of anime on store shelves in the US

Trying Linux as an alternate OS

Inspired me to improve my audio (in my attempt to launch a podcast)

Dumped Hotmail for Gmail (and never looked back)

Learning how to argue intelligently with evidence
    Post edited by jwallace on
  • It's mostly gotten me into reading more books, mostly comics. Like I recently read Ode to Kirihito (all in sitting,) and Apollo's Song (also in one sitting.) Also started reading the awesome that is Scott Pilgrim thanks to GN.
    • Now I know that there is no chance of me not moving to the USA and participating in cons.
    • I almost cry every time they talk about a Manga, which will never be released in Austria in any reasonable time
    • Listening to Geeknights gives me a great time
    • Since listening to the episode about professionalism I always try to be professional about everything I do
    • I got to watch some great Anime
    • Gmail and Google Reader and thanks to Rym on explaining why it's great and not so evil after all
    • I would say I got a lot better at talking in English and I now have some fun phrases, which I'm looking forward to using
    • Thanks to them now I'll for sure start with a web comic or even a podcast if I find someone to do it with
    • I got to hear some interesting and reasonable points of view, which I'm not sure about disagreeing a lot.

• Everything around Geeknights has entertained me a lot, given me a great time and the feeling that I can rely on something.
  • I've really broadened my anime appreciation, as have many. I've actually learned some pretty cool things from the Monday and Thursday shows, from the burden of proof to linuxes.

I've started using RSS and Google Reader, as well as Google Calendar and Delicious. Most of my information will be accessible to me wherever I go.

I've gotten back into Dungeons and Dragons, and really want to check out Burning Wheel. I've also started playing German Boardgames, and bought Apples to Apples.

I've started using various phrases in common speech, much to the dismay of Grammar Nazis.

I've refined my slacking to be more productive (ironic, I know). I've also taken a note on professionalism and business relations.

I've really improved the audio quality of a radio show I co-host, though it's still not up to an acceptable standard (maybe I'm just spoiled by you guys).

And finally, I just got accepted into RIT, a college I would have never heard about, living as I am in California. So, thank you Rym, Scott, the FRC, and all the forumgoers, because you've really changed my life. I hope to see you guys at Tora-Con, and other East Coast conventions in the future.
  • edited December 2007
    I'm not that geeky compared to Scrym. Anime does nothing for me, and I didn't really play videogames. I started listening because I was a boardgame fan.

I did, however, buy a DS and I went to a boardgaming convention. I don't think I would have done either one if it weren't for Scrym. No regrets for either.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I've learned to be less tolerant of mediocrity.
    I now use proper spelling, grammar and capitalization in everything I do.
    I have a rule that you have to spell correctly on my forums.
  • Things Rym and Scott have learnt from their forums: they'll be unemployed when the depression hits, all their friends will desert them, and they're both jerks... but at least they'll have each other for the gay sex!
    Even jerks need to love and be loved. :) They know what their true feelings are for one another, we of the Other Thread can only speculate and dream. :P
    • Bought Tetris for DS
    • Now use "Oh mans" and "Got damn" in everyday speech - previously used just "oh man" and "goddam"
    • Finished buying Cowboy Bebop - will one day actually watch the last few discs
    • Bought various comics and anime, no regrets
    • Bought the El Hazard OVA, some regrets but it was cheap anyway (I think you guys only remember the fun bits)
    • Want to attend certain American conventions so hard. As an exhibitor, too. One day.
  • It has been helpful to hear their youthful, audacious optimism, even though it can become tiresome. When I'm badly depressed, I can listen to them discuss how great things are and how optimistic they are for their future, and sometimes it rubs off. When it does become tiresome, I can just turn them off for awhile.

I tried to emulate their optimism throughout the four (4) interviews I had to endure in order to get this new job. Maybe that was what worked. Anyway, I was hired and now I'm happier than I've ever been in my life.

The forum is good too. I've never read a forum this often since the silly Usenet days.
  • I have learned more about the world and it has helped me greatly.
    I have added "got damn" into my normal vernacular.
    My taste in anime has slightly broadened
  • [I am unsure if I should E-mail Scrym, Dave and Joel, and AWO about this. I guess this is the Geeknights version.]
    I am embarrassed to say I have changed a lot. I have known for quite some time, that I am one of those people who discuss things and if I am wrong, I change my opinion.

I really used to love some shit anime. This was mostly due to the fact that it was all I knew existed. My anime knowledge has been so broadened by Geeknights, Anime World Order, The Weekly Anime Review, and Dave and Joel, that I know enough to be able to discuss anime from the past and the present in depth. I can now compare how a new anime branched off of an older anime. I have gone from fan-boy to fan.

I thought that I knew a little about computers, I was wrong. I still don't know enough about computers, but damn if I am learning and reading more on them now. I plan on building my own computer when I graduate college. Yes guys, I will be using Linux along with Windows. I learned why Linux is good because of you two, for the only Linux users I knew used it to be different, not for efficiency.

My videogame knowledge hasn't really grown, but I have learned a little more about the industry.

I used to know that board games like Monopoly, Parcheesi, and Sorry sucked. Now I can tell you why. Before I could describe to you game theory without even knowing it existed. Now I can use key words and examples I did not know about.

So how did I change? Well I grew up in a way. It may have been another factor, but I feel I have just become more mature of a person. My family and friends all see it in me.
    So if you guys care, you did change my life substantially. Though I felt that I was going in this direction already, you just dragged me there faster.

I am also embarrassed to call Rym, Scott, Dave, Joel, and the rest of my podcasters I listen to my friends. It’s kind of creepy, and if I sound fanboy-ish I am not one anymore. I just had a harsh 6 months in data entry at a job that was brain numbing, and you guys all pulled me through it. I don't really want to continue this post, for well... It's awkward and odd to type, so thanks.

So yeah, maybe I will meet you all sometime. Maybe we will be friends, maybe not. But all I know is I am happy, I will continue to listen to your podcasts for a while longer, and I am free from this abomination of a job starting at 4:00 today. HUZZA!
  • I forgot to mention one great thing.

Earlier I said that Geek Nights convinced me to try out a gaming convention. I live in an incredibly rural area. There are few, if any, people that share the same interests as I have. The only thing people seem to care about here is Nascar and beer.

At the convention, I was lucky enough to meet someone from my hometown. He had recently started up a gaming group. I'm now a member of the group. We meet one night a week. It's the fist time in 10 years of living here that I've actually gotten to know and become friends with people that I'm compatible with.

So thank you Geek Nights!
  • I basically get to hear about anime, manga, or games, that may be worth getting, and if I have already seen or herd about them, I get to hear new insight on them from Rym and Scott's prospective.
  • edited December 2007
    • I use "Oh noes" and "Oh mans" in regular speaking.
    • I made a silly little podcast after hearing you have (what sounds like) fun with your's. I even had the set-up based on your's!
    • I convinced my mom that not everyone on the internet is bad, and that not every podcast on the internet is stupid (after a failed attempt to get her to listen to Dave And Joel). After showing her a few episodes of the show, she's been hooked! By the way, you might wanna look out, I think an e-mail about your technology in education episode might be aimed at you.
    • I now listen to Dave and Joel because of the one special.
    • I can barely stand it when another podcast I listen to, Infendo, has any type of audio problem with Skype, or their podcast in general. Even Dave and Joel have been annoying me with that recently.
    • I have been trying to be more aware of how I type, and if I'm saying everything properly. I actually sit for about 5-7 minutes debating on whether I should post or not, if I used the right words, or if I was being redundant.
    • I now use Google Reader and Google Docs for RSS and school-work, respectively.
    • I have been thinking seriously about going to a con with my dad. He's up for it, I'm up for it, we just need a bit of money and a place that will suit both of our geekeries (video games and comic-books), and we'd be set.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on