This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071226 - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

RymRym
edited December 2007 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. In the news, Death Note gets a Matsuda spinoff, Macross Frontier exists, and Gag Manga Biyori gets a third season. We also GeekBite Takashi Miike's Shinjuku Triad Society.

Scott's Thing - Wowio
Rym's Thing - A Self-Sustaining Reaction

Comments

• Neat. Listening. Because I like Batman. And the Geeknights.
  • edited December 2007
    I didn't know about this book until I saw it on the regular rack in my comic book shop early in the Spring of 1986. Until then, Batman was kind of a joke. There were the late 30s/early 40s pre-Robin stories that were good, and there were the 70s Neal Adams stories that were kinda okay, but Batman was still mostly associated with the TV series. However, I knew Miller's work from Ronin, and I knew he was good. Everyone in the store was talking about how good this book was, so I decided to gamble on a copy even though it was Batman and it probably wouldn't be that good.

I was astounded. It was very surprising how good it was. I was very pleased with the terse writing style, reminiscent of both Chandler and Hemingway (I was on a big Hemingway kick at the time). The art was like nothing I'd ever seen in a comic before. It was just brilliant. Further, it was a revelation that Batman could be that cool. It was as if someone today had written a story that made Aquaman cool.

It took forever for the other issues to come out. I believe Watchmen started before Dark Knight was over, and it might have even beat it to the finish. That's one thing you could count on with Watchmen - it was there every month.

The only bad thing was that those two books raised the bar so high no one could compete (at least in my opinion). They both left me hungry for more good comic action, but it was hard to finish Dark Knight and be left with The Amazing Spiderman. Fortunately, Batman: Year One (also by Miller) came out soon after Dark Knight started, so there was one other good book, at least for a few issues. The Batman: Year Two came out and we were back to suck.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited December 2007
    If you want a good Superman comic, try Red Son.

Edit:
    I really liked Kingdom Come too.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • If you want a good Superman comic, try Red Son.
    I read that. The first part is good, and the very end is good. The middle parts not so much.
  • Superman For All Seasons is a good Superman book. It's not quite Dark Knight, though. I think Kingdom Come is a better Superman story.

The best Superman story I've read lately was the novel It's Superman!. It has a lot of the flavor of the old late 30s/early 40s social crusader Superman.
  • I'm going to Borders tonight, and I plan on buying this. I look forward to reading this. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Superman For All Seasonsis a good Superman book. It's not quiteDark Knight, though. I thinkKingdom Comeis a better Superman story.
    I read Kingdom Come. The art is obviously amazing, but I don't know if Rym will like it. I barely like it. The effect of the book really doesn't work unless you know a lot about the DC Universe.
  • Jess Nevins' Comic Book Annotationswill explain all the references.
    Too much work.
  • I think I'm going to go and pick this up tomorrow. I have a $50 barnes and noble gift card... so anything else I should look for while I'm there?
  • This is the book you are looking for. Don't buy the wrong one.
  • This is the book you are looking for. Don't buy the wrong one.
    Careful, the inferior sequel looks somewhat similar.
  • . . . anything else I should look for while I'm there?
    Batman: The Long Halloween
  • I ended up picking up DMZ volume 1 and Tezuka's MW along with the Dark Knight Returns
  • I listened this episode just today and when I heard about that Wowio-site, I thought "Cool, free books, there might be something interesting there". And I went to the site and yes, there was some interesting looking books and comics there, but when I tried to set up an account, it told me that it is US only. Too bad for that, otherwise it could have been something quite great.

PS. I don't know if anyone else had had this problem, but in my iTunes I got only the first ten minutes of this episode.
  • PS. I don't know if anyone else had had this problem, but in my iTunes I got only the first ten minutes of this episode.
    Redownload the episode. Something went wrong during the download I guess.
  • You guys have me re-reading Dark Knight Returns. Thanks. Forgot how rad it was.
  • I'm reading it right now and liking it very much ^^
  • Forgot how rad it was.
    I forgot how 1992 it was :D
  • Gundam. (in response to the macross part)
  • This is a pretty good Batman story. It is also a one shot, so if you somehow don't like it you aren't heavily invested in Alan Moore and Brian Bolland goodness. Also, Batman: The Cult is pretty to look at, if not as good of a read.

I feel an episode, or two, coming on.
  • jccjcc
    edited January 2008
    I didn't know about this book until I saw it on the regular rack in my comic book shop early in the Spring of 1986. Until then, Batman was kind of a joke.
    At least it was a funny joke. :) I mean, if it hadn't been for 60s Batman opening the door, would we have gotten cool stuff like 90s The Tick? :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited January 2008
    We also GeekBite Takashi Miike's Shinjuku Triad Society.
    Speaking of Takashi Miike: isn't there a North American remake of one of his movies coming to theatres in a few days? One Missed Call, the one with the creepy mouths-for-eyes poster and the eerie ringtone?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • After procrastinating and reading other things, I finally finished this. I'm happy I read it. Thanks again for the recommendation. I look forward to the final thoughts episode on this.

I won't spoil anything, but what I really enjoyed the most was the inner monologue of the characters, especially Batman's. Also the way Frank Miller portrays the president aka Ronald Reagan was quite humorous. ^_^