This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Movies you should show to your friends

edited December 2007 in Movies
I've been making a good list of movies that are both deep and interesting. What are the movies you guys love to show people?
  • Royal Tenenbaums
  • Magnolia
  • Equilibrium
  • Rushmore
  • Stranger than Fiction

Comments

• Attack the Gas Station.

This thread is over.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2007
    • City of God
    • Snatch
    • Moulin Rouge
    • Boondock Saints
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Funny Games
    • Primer
    • Snatch
    • he Machinist
    • Memento
    • Holy Mountain
  • edited December 2007
    Rym,

Interesting that you said Moulin Rouge. It is one of my wife's favorite movies. I should have hated it, but yet I really do like it. It's definitely worth watching.

Has anyone seen Cube? It's a low-budget Canadian sci-fi movie. I was in France when it came out, and it was a big hit there. It went largely unnoticed here. When I got home, I rented it. I was glad I did. It is a great example of how a low-budget movie can be an excellent movie if the script is done right. The sequel, made by the Sci-Fi channel, sucks.

What's so great about City of God? I see it mentioned here all of the time.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited December 2007
    Blade Runner, The Razor's Edge, Pennies From Heaven, Casablanca, We're No Angels, Papillon, Kelley's Heroes, The Great Escape, A Bridge Too Far, Citizen Kane, Duck Soup, Dreams, Saving Private Ryan, The Unforgiven, Glory, Surf II, Surf Nazis Must Die, Back to the Beach, Repo Man, Straight to Hell, The Shining, Ghost Story.
    Has anyone seenCube?It's a low-budget Canadian sci-fi movie. I was in France when it came out, and it was a big hit there. It went largely unnoticed here. When I got home, I rented it. I was glad I did. It is a great example of how a low-budget movie can be an excellent movie if the script is done right.
    Every now and then, they'll show it on the Sci-Fi Channel. More often, they'll show Cube II.

k, on an unrelated note, I just remembered: Didn't you say you like Paul Theroux? I've read several of his books, like The Mosquito Coast, O-Zone, My Secret Life, and Riding the Iron Rooster. Maybe some people here might like O-Zone. It was very post-apocalypty.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Cube is very good. I also really liked the writer/directors other movie: Nothing
  • What's so great about City of God? I see it mentioned here all of the time.
    Have you seen it?
  • Have you seen it?
    No, that's why I'm curious about it.
  • Have you seen it?
    No, that's why I'm curious about it.
    See it.
  • @kilarney

Cube came out on video/dvd when I was still working at a video rental store. My coworkers and I would just see the cover and think it was some cheesy B movie, however it looked somewhat interesting. One day we pop it in, after the first sequence we were hooked. I'm glad I watched that movie.

I'm sure there are more movies I can think of, however I've been hankering to rewatch these two Ryuhei Kitamura films:
  • If you do not like your friend give them a copy of Behind the Green Door or The DiCaprio remake of Romeo and Juliet.
  • Roman Holiday is a movie that I am certain Hollywood does not have the balls to make as it is in this day and age
  • The DiCaprio remake ofRomeo and Juliet
    Yep. This is a horrible remake.
  • edited December 2007
    Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, The Graduate, Raise the Red Lantern, Brazil, and a second for City of Lost Children.

[Edit] Oh, and you used the wrong kind of "your" in the topic name.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The DiCaprio remake ofRomeo and Juliet.
    Truer words have never been spoken - even if Claire Daines was at her peak.
  • Boku no Pico
  • The DiCaprio remake ofRomeo and Juliet.
    Truer words have never been spoken - even if Claire Daines was at her peak.
    The Zefirelli Hamlet with Mel Gibson was good though heavily edited.

Bringing up Shakespeare opens a whole new vista of film. I would get friends to see Ran, Chimes at Midnight, the Branagh Henry V, the Olivier Henry V, the Olivier Richard III, the Anthony Hopkins Titus Andronicus, the Diana Rigg Midsummer Night's Dream, the James Cagney Midsummer Night's Dream, the Branagh Hamlet, the Olivier Hamlet, and the Orson Welles Macbeth.
  • edited December 2007
    Battle Royale 1 and 2
    Tokyo Zombie
    Little Miss Sunshine
    The Movie Hero
    My Big Fat Independent Movie
    Boku no Pico
    Why do I keep looking stuff up? Why?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited December 2007

Bringing up Shakespeare opens a whole new vista of film. I would get friends to seeRan,Chimes at Midnight, the BranaghHenry V, the OlivierHenry V, the OlivierRichard III, the Anthony HopkinsTitus Andronicus, the Diana RiggMidsummer Night's Dream, the James CagneyMidsummer Night's Dream, the BranaghHamlet, the OlivierHamlet, and the Orson WellesMacbeth.
    I would agree with you on everything there except Titus. I loved that movie when it first came out, but I watched it again recently and found it very disappointing.

Another Shakespeare movie worth watching is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Its based around Hamlet, but told from the viewpoint of a couple of the minor characters. If you like Hamlet, you will find this completely hilarious.
    Post edited by Sean on
  • [Edit] Oh, and you used the wrong kind of "your" in the topic name.
    No he didn't...o.o (Unless it was changed?)

Rent, Appleseed... Hairspray, for some good laughs. The original Disney classics, such as Lion King. I'd say Rocky Horror, but that's only good with commentary. GOOD commentary.
  • [Edit] Oh, and you used the wrong kind of "your" in the topic name.
    No he didn't...o.o (Unless it was changed?)
    Before it read "Movies you should show to you're friends".
  • edited December 2007
    Movies I always show to my friends(but probably shouldn't):

-Enter the Dragon
    -The Last Dragon
    -Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter
    -El Santo movies
    -Nacho Libre
    -Dead Alive
    -Night of the Living dead (both 1968 - 1990)

Movies I show my friends (and should):

-Amelie
    -Leon
    -The Fifth Element
    -MST3K the Movie

BTW I'm surprised you know and like City of God
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • -Night of the Living dead
    Night of the Living Dead is a great movie and you should not be ashamed to show it.

At the moment, Hot Fuzz has been making it around my friends circut.
  • At the moment, Hot Fuzz has been making it around my friends circut.
    Hoodies!
  • Tank Girl.
  • Tank Girl.
    *high five*
  • edited December 2007
    If your friends don't mind a good cry or just a depressed feeling, I would suggest The Pursuit of Happyness. (That is the correct spelling of the title, for those of you who were wondering.)
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on