This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Add an IQ test to your comment system

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
A friend just pointed me to this.

A smart blogger decided he did not want just anyone to comment on his site so he took the usual anti-spam question (what's 4+5) and replaced it with a calculus problem.

Comments

• edited December 2007
    That's not a calculus problem. That's an algebra problem.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2007
    The idiot behind the link calls it a formula. It's not a formula. It's an equation. I am floored by the fact that he thinks he needs a calculus book to solve it. He probably doesn't own a calculus book. Scott is right. Calculus is not needed to solve this trivial equation. You don't even need the quadratic formula to solve it! Most people wouldn't even need paper.

I guess it would keep COMPLETE idiots (like the idiot behind the link) and grammar school children from posting, but it wouldn't keep out very many others.

Edit: I just looked at the link again, and he said that (1) he had calculus eight months ago and (2) he spent ten minutes on the equation. Do I even have to call bullshit on this? Anyone who really had taken a calculus class could solve this in their head. Also, anyone who spent ten minutes on this must be either (1) a child or (2) retarded. Finally, he calls himself "Admin Sean". What does he admin? One of those cardboard computers you see on the office furniture in Staples?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I guess it would keep COMPLETE idiots (like the idiot behind the link) and grammar school children from posting, but it wouldn't keep out very many others.
    I must agree. It would keep out the vast majority of people on the web.
  • edited December 2007
    I don't think it would keep out many people on this board. Well, maybe WiP.

What about it, WiP? Have you encountered such highly advanced calculus problems before?
  • I don't think it would keep out many people onthisboard. Well, maybe WiP.

What about it, WiP? Have you encountered such highly advanced calculus problems before?
    Oh, so you change it from Jason to me huh? Well, I'm sure for you an advanced calculus problem such as this would be easy, seeing as how you learned calculus directly from Newton during your apprenticeship with him.
  • edited December 2007
    I just hope that these people aren't Americans, but I think they might be. If they are, they're just more proof of how stupid we are as a country. With fools like these in the market, it's easy to understand how all those sup-prime mortgage instruments were sold.

I don't know why it gets under my skin so much but it does. The very idea that "Admin Sean" wrote that the "formula" was "frustrating" and that he's going to "have to do calculus all over again" makes me so sad . . . I'm going to need an emergency session with my analyst.
  • Either way it's an awesome idea to get rid of junk. Can you imagine how Digg would change if they had a ton of these sorts of questions waiting for you when you go to submit a link?
  • He's running a website about "make money fast!" schemes. Of course he's going to be bad at math!
  • jccjcc
    edited December 2007
    It'd filter me out. ^^ Too much time spent in the humanities, I think. Also too much time spent reading science fiction on the sly in algebra class back in high school. ^^;;
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited December 2007
    I hate factoring. If Scrym required perfect maths instead of perfect grammar, I wouldn't be on the forum anymore. Plus, it's been about 12 years since I've done anything with polynomials.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I hate factoring.
    That particular equation was so easy, you wouldn't even have to actually factor it. You should be able to "solve" it by inspection.
  • Well you use a formula to solve such equation. It's basically outruling everybody under a certain grade.

I don't consider myself either dumb or retarded but still the answer didn't just occur to me. I looked at it and knew that the number must be between 1 and 2. Then I looked up the formula and typed it into my calculator.

Btw the answer is 1.5 if somebody doesn't know.

To defend myself I have to say that I'm a Dyslexic (I hope that's the appropiate word).
  • Blech, Algebra, need a paper and pen for that. But that's because I just suck at factoring and did a bit too much of nothing during Math classes in high school. Would probably use the quadratic formula with a calculator, for that's how I learned it and that's how I know it.
  • edited December 2007
    Btw the answer is 1.5 if somebody doesn't know.
    The equation is a square, therefore there are two answers: 1.5 and -3. That said, it makes me wonder if the blogger accounted for the fact that there are two answers.
    Post edited by gohanrice on
  • Btw the answer is 1.5 if somebody doesn't know.
    The equation is a square, therefore there are two answers: 1.5 and -3. That said, it makes me wonder if the blogger accounted for the fact that there are two answers.
    For some reason I forgot that even thought I wrote the plus and minus thingie down :/
  • I even find the CAPTCHA very annoying. So building this in would just make me post/comment less, because I would have to go through the effort (even if it is very small) of solving these equations. Oh, and I didn't realize grammar schools were something negative...
  • edited December 2007
    To defend myself I have to say that I'm a Dyslexic (I hope that's the appropiate word).
    If you mean that your brain inadvertently transposes numbers, the term is dyscalculaic. When people say they are dyslexic, most of the time they mean that they transpose letters. They are really dysgraphic.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • If you can't do this type of problem within 30 seconds in your head, you are in big trouble when you get to higher level math courses at university.
    Blech, Algebra, need a paper and pen for that. But that's because I just suck at factoring and did a bit too much of nothing during Math classes in high school. Would probably use the quadratic formula with a calculator, for that's how I learned it and that's how I know it.
    Seriously, stop using a calculator and learn to do EVERYTHING in your head or on paper. There are no mathematics class in which I'm even allowed to use a four function calculator, let alone a scientific/graphic one. Becoming dependent upon a calculator to graph a function, integrate/differentiate, solve equations is a plan for disaster once you are out of high school level mathematics. Understanding the concepts and grasping the implications of such operations is an invaluable tool for the future.
  • I'll be the first to admit that it took me about a minute to remember how to do that.

Once I did, though, it was cake.
  • edited December 2007
    I'll be the first to admit that it took me about a minute to remember how to do that.

Once I did, though, it was cake.
    God, it took me like 10 minutes, because I don't believe I've solved a equation like that in about 8 to 10 years.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited December 2007
    If you mean that your brain inadvertently transposes numbers, the term isdyscalculaic. When people say they are dyslexic, most of the time they mean that they transpose letters. They are reallydysgraphic.
    Maybe there is no connection between problems with handling multiple number and Dyslexia. But I know I am Dyslexic because I've been checked for it and they found out I'm a pretty heavy case (I basically failed first grade but my teacher knew (I'm really grateful) about Dyslexia and told my parents to go to a Dyslexia Centre). After that I got a box with certain tasks to help me "overcome" this problem) like matching pictures or making letters and number out of clay.

Well and now I'm heading for the final exam in the Austrian school system (without any extra lessons), seemingly it had worked.
    If you can't do this type of problem within 30 seconds in your head, you are in big trouble when you get to higher level math courses at university.
    Blech, Algebra, need a paper and pen for that. But that's because I just suck at factoring and did a bit too much of nothing during Math classes in high school. Would probably use the quadratic formula with a calculator, for that's how I learned it and that's how I know it.
    Seriously, stop using a calculator and learn to do EVERYTHING in your head or on paper. There are no mathematics class in which I'm even allowed to use a four function calculator, let alone a scientific/graphic one. Becoming dependent upon a calculator to graph a function, integrate/differentiate, solve equations is a plan for disaster once you are out of high school level mathematics. Understanding the concepts and grasping the implications of such operations is an invaluable tool for the future.
    Well that's time passing by, some decades ago sliding rules were used with logarithms, now we have calculators and those people with advanced calculators, with better calculation equipment people don't know how to do stuff advanced stuff manually in any given amount of time. Calculators have been around for a long time so many people rely solely on them which I don't think is so bad because they will be around for a long time.

The only thing I'm scared of is when people aren't capable of solving equations with pen and paper because then they don't know how it's done and just trust the programmer. As opposed to the lazy person ^^
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • edited December 2007
    Well that's time passing by, some decades ago sliding rules were used with logarithms, now we have calculators and those people with advanced calculators, with better calculation equipment people don't know how to do stuff advanced stuff manually in any given amount of time. Calculators have been around for a long time so many people rely solely on them which I don't think is so bad because they will be around for a long time.
    "Well that's time passing by . . . " WiP, I believe he just called you old. Yeah, too old to understand that the kids can't think wthout their new-fangled calculating machines, and that the kids don't think there's anything wrong with that.

What's that behind you, WiP? Oooohh, it looks like a Sandman. Did you forget to register for Carousel?
    Well you use a formula to solve such equation.
    You don't need the quadratic formula to solve this equation. Really, you don't even need to factor it.

But just because a formula can be used doesn't change my problem with "Admin Sean" calling this a "formula". A formula can be any relation. An equation is a relation in which both sides of the equation are equal to each other. That's one of the reasons Idon't believe "Admin Sean" even has a calculus book.
    edited December 2007
    Dude, I know how to do the stuff on paper. That's what I said, I didn't say I _only_ know how to do it on a calculator, I said I would use one since it's faster and easier. I throw in the proper numbers and the little program everybody in high school has solves it for you. We're talking about being at home here, not in class. In class I too am not allowed to use any calculator, but at home I have my scientific calculator with a little ABC formula program (like everyone else in high school) in it which takes 3 numbers and gives me everything I might need to solve the problem.

Why wouldn't you use a calculator if it can do the math faster than you can? I'll admit I'm not that good at math, but I know how to do stuff and can do them, I however can't solve that problem in 30 seconds in my head. I did too little in high school math classes for that.

@ Hungryjoe, the guy from the article is 18 years old and came from Vietnam. He probably thinks everybody on the internet is American.
    Post edited by ... on
  • "Well that's time passing by . . . " WiP, I believe he just called youold. Yeah, too old to understand that the kids can't think wthout their new-fangled calculating machines, and that the kids don't think there's anything wrong with that.

What's that behind you, WiP? Oooohh, it looks like a Sandman. Did you forget to register for Carousel?
    Oh damn, you're right. My 20th birthday is next week. I'm sooooo old.
  • "Well that's time passing by . . . " WiP, I believe he just called youold. Yeah, too old to understand that the kids can't think wthout their new-fangled calculating machines, and that the kids don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Sorry if it sounded that way, I just wanted to say that things advance as time goes by.
    Well you use a formula to solve such equation.
    You don't need the quadratic formula to solve this equation. Really, you don't even need to factor it.

But just because a formula can be used doesn't change my problem with "Admin Sean" calling this a "formula". A formula can be any relation. An equation is a relation in which both sides of the equation are equal to each other. That's one of the reasons Idon't believe "Admin Sean" evenhasa calculus book.
    Well the answer doesn't just show up in my, when I look at it, so I can rely on narrowing down the possibilities by trial and error or use a formula.

Sorry if it sounded that way, I just wanted to say that things advance as time goes by.
    Yeah, and WiP is being left behind . . .

• Yeah, and WiP is being left behind . . .
    No, things evolve to the better or to the worse. You can like it or disagree with it and you can take advantage of it or stick to what you know.

And no I'm not trying to insult anybody, I'm just stating my opinion on a fact, without any correlation to a person.
  • Yeah, and WiP is being left behind . . .
    At least I wasn't left behind fifty years ago...
    Dude, I know how to do the stuff on paper. That's what I said, I didn't say I _only_ know how to do it on a calculator, I said I would use one since it's faster and easier. I throw in the proper numbers and the little program everybody in high school has solves it for you. We're talking about being at home here, not in class. In class I too am not allowed to use any calculator, but at home I have my scientific calculator with a little ABC formula program (like everyone else in high school) in it which takes 3 numbers and gives me everything I might need to solve the problem.
    Look, I'm only trying to give you a little helpful advice. Hell, maybe you're not even going to have to do math again after high school. However, the reality is that the majority of students will just plug and chug in their calculators, having no idea what the fuck they are even trying to solve for. I mean seriously, do you know what the answers mean to that equation? Do you know their relevance in the larger picture?

My issue is not with the use of calculators or computational devices, it's the lack of focus and attention put into the larger picture of mathematics. I know that the majority of my peers at university have no idea what the concepts behind basic calculus are or their implications for the classwork we are learning. I believe Rym stated that the majority of his peers at RIT had to take remedial math when they first entered school. That is unacceptable.
  • edited December 2007
    My issue is not with the use of calculators or computational devices, it's the lack of focus and attention put into the larger picture of mathematics.
    Wow, that's really true. When I was learning trig, we were never told what sine, cosine, and tangent were. Not what they did, not how they worked, not why they worked, and not how they related to eachother. Nor did the book even tell me this information when I looked for it. We were simply told to plug the numbers into our calculators and write down the answer.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's not unlike learning Latin before going on to learn the other romance languages. You don't need to learn Latin at all but it builds an excellent foundation for the other languages.