This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Obama in Iowa

edited January 2008 in Politics
For those of you who care -- which should be everyone -- the AP newswire just called it for Obama in the Iowa caucus. It looks like he's pulled 37 percent of the vote with Hillary and Edwards grabbing about 30 percent each. We're getting live wire updates every 15 minutes or so, and Obama's had a steady 4-6 point lead over the course of the night.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Obama stands no chance of winning the presidency (and probably no chance of winning the nomination) despite his appeal. Huckabee is more of a social conservative than GWB. Haven't we had enough of that? Did he really advocate locking up gay people?
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • ok. so why does Obama have not chance.
  • edited January 2008
    Just as long as Hilary doesn't win.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • At least Obama won over Clinton.

I think my favourite candidate right now is Biden, but it's looking like the best contender might be Edwards. Those two seem to be the only ones (on the Dems' side) that aren't blatantly corrupt.
  • Biden is not a candidate. He has just withdrawn.
  • Yeah, I just got the news right now. The major news stations are focusing on Obama and Clinton. No one seems to be looking at Edwards. I guess I'm rooting for him, though, since Biden is no more.
  • Ruddy got whooped!
  • Just as long as Hilary doesn't win.
    So, what policies of hers are you opposed to? What specifically makes her undesirable?
  • Just as long as Hilary doesn't win.
    So, what policies of hers are you opposed to? What specifically makes her undesirable?
    1) Attempting to federalize a substantial portion of the American economy (health insurance) during her husband's tenure using "secret" meetings and "secret" groups. I have to wonder if Bill gave her that 'job' just to get her out of his hair, kind of like busy work. Then, when she finished he was stuck having to offer it up.

2) Her desire to take oil company profits and use the money for government projects. Why is she picking on oil? Why is she trying to confiscate money? Banks make a bigger profit (percentage wise) than the oil companies, why not go after them?

If a billion dollar company makes 10 million dollars a month no one considers that profiteering but, if a trillion dollar company makes 10 billion dollars a month in profit it is seen as profiteering. Percentages are the same but somehow earning billions is seen as bad.

3) Her inability to debate without accusing the other "boys" of ganging up on her. I will not elect someone who plays the "gender card" or "race card" when their ideas are threatened or challenged in a debate.

4) In that same debate she was unable to clearly state her view on the issue of "licenses for illegals". An issue that the other candidates had no problem taking a position on.
  • I have two major problems with Hillary.
    First, I doubt that the founders of our country wanted two families to rule for 28 years. I don't like the idea either.
    Second, I truly believe that she will say whatever it takes to get elected, no matter what she actually believes. Therefore, I don't trust anything she says.

Having said that, when Bill was president, things weren't so bad. He was awful at foreign policy, but we did great domestically. He was even fairly moderate. I don't see any reason why Hillary would be so different.

I'm not a big fan of Edwards, but it has to do with my disdain of people who choose to get rich as a personal injury lawyer more than anything else. I could write a whole essay on that. It's not that I disagree with the theory of tort law - but spend a day in that world and you'll see how the theory was forgotten a long time ago. To me it says that you value money and power more than what is right and wrong.

Huckabee is too far to the right to win. But... if he goes up against Obama, how many white southern Democrats are going to vote for Obama? I'm not really sure. I'd like to think that it's not an issue, but I suspect it is.

Overall I like Obama, although I will be the first to admit that there isn't much track record there. Call me naive, but I do believe that he's not as beholden to special interest groups as Hillary and Edwards.
  • edited January 2008
    Obama stands no chance of winning the presidency (and probably no chance of winning the nomination) despite his appeal. Huckabee is more of a social conservative than GWB. Haven't we had enough of that? Did he really advocate locking up gay people?
    I wonder. With the dual threats of apathy felt by some people and crazy conservatism by others, we might just get what we deserve. Huck will make sure that the country regresses to the middle ages while people say, "I can't do anything about it, so why bother. I'm gonna go play with my pokeballs."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Who is going to break the news to Hungryjoe that Marx came in last?

• I wonder. With the dual threats of apathy felt by some people and crazy conservatism by others, we might just get what we deserve. Huck will make sure that the country regresses to the middle ages while people say, "I can't do anything about it, so why bther. I'm gonna go play with my pokeballs."
    Voter turnout in Iowa was record setting. More people came out than in 2004 and a huge number of young/new voters went to the polls.
  • edited January 2008
    I have two major problems with Hillary.
    First, I doubt that the founders of our country wanted two families to rule for 28 years. I don't like the idea either.
    I agree. I would love to see her elected if only to anger the conservative blowhards, but it does hurt to think of the dynasty precedent that's being set. That's not the way it was planned.
    Second, I truly believe that she will say whatever it takes to get elected, no matter what she actually believes. Therefore, I don't trust anything she says.
    How does that make her different from any of the others? I will say this about the oil: I think it's so unfair that she's said evil things about the oil industry. Those poor companies! It's so sad that they have no political power and no one to represent their interests. :,-(
    Having said that, when Bill was president, things weren't so bad. He was awful at foreign policy, but we did great domestically. He was even fairly moderate. I don't see any reason why Hillary would be so different.
    I agree again.

A random thought about Obama: Are you familiar with the way the office ages people? Well, Obama is not exactly pretty right now. If he was elected, he'd end up looking like he was rode hard and put up wet. On the other hand, You could just listen to his audio and he'd still sound statesmanlike - unlike some others I could name.
    Who is going to break the news to Hungryjoe that Marx came in last?
    WHAT?!!
  • edited January 2008
    I just can't stand to look at Hillary's face-lift any longer. Her cheeks are ready to burst right out of her face.

In all seriousness, it bothers me that we live in a world where a strong, successful woman would still feel the need to surgically alter her appearance.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • One would hope that aging and face-lifts don't play a part in your decisions.
  • edited January 2008
    One would hope that aging and face-lifts don't play a part in your decisions.
    Give me a little credit, Jason. I don't care unless she wants to cover those procedures under our soon-to-be socialized medical system.

Although, let's face it, at some point aging comes into play. It definitely had an effect on Ronald Reagan.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited January 2008
    One would hope that aging and face-lifts don't play a part in your decisions.
    Some people think it's important.

Of course I don't. I'm just sayin' . . .

If you look at him just the right way though, he looks a little like Lincoln. If he was aged just right, I think the resemblance would come out more. Even if he did age considerably, he'd still be young. If McCain or Thompson aged much more they'd be dead.
  • I don't recall Margaret Thatcher getting plastic surgery to help her "not age". This must be an American thing...
  • So what are the predictions for New Hampshire?

I predict:
    Republican: Romney (McCain second)
    Democrat: Obama (Hillary second)
    I think Edwards will do surprisingly well in New Hampshire, but I'm banking on Obama to win it.

As for the GOP, I'm really not sure. They're in the situation the Democrats were in last time around, in that they have a bunch of also-rans on the ballot but no real frontrunner.

I will bet on one thing solidly, however: whoever wins the majority of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina will win the nomination.
  • How about Rudy polling in the "Ron Paul" range while Ron Paul pulled 10%!
  • Barack Attack! I think that the young voters had the biggest effect on his winning in Iowa, but I don't think he will get many votes in the south due to the colour of his skin, which saddens me at the fact that there is still racism in the world. It's going to end up being the punk kids versus the old fogeys and I'm bringing the popcorn!
  • edited January 2008
    Barack Attack! I think that the young voters had the biggest effect on his winning in Iowa, but I don't think he will get many votes in the south due to the colour of his skin, which saddens me at the fact that there is still racism in the world. It's going to end up being the punk kids versus the old fogeys and I'm bringing the popcorn!
    You do realize that more blacks live in the south than in Iowa? Iowa is known for being a "white" state for a reason.

You do also realize that it is southern Democrats who will be voting for Obama in the primaries? What you are saying here is that southern Democrats are racist.

I could care less what color Obama's skin is. He has not made race an issue so far so I do not believe he will make it an issue if he gets elected. Hillary, on the other hand, has had no problem playing the gender card and trying to get votes just because she is a woman.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • . . . which saddens me at the fact that there is still racism in the world. It's going to end up being the punk kids versus the old fogeys and I'm bringing the popcorn!
    Yours is not the generation destined to expunge racism from the world. Racism has been here long before you came and it will be here long after you've gone.

• Yours is not the generation destined to expunge racism from the world. Racism has been here long before you came and it will be here long after you've gone.
    But our generation is the first to turn the corner after the Civil Rights movement. Those of us 20-35 are the kids of the folks who grew up during that time and most of us are benefiting from it. Look at the young faces behind Obama and the old ones behind everyone else. I was actually inspired hearing his speech last night and if a politician can make me feel that way and actually have policies I can back then he's got my vote.

I predict:
    Republican: Romney (McCain second)
    Democrat: Obama (Hillary second)
    I would put Rudy in the top two for New Hampshire. From what I've heard, he put very little effort into the Iowa caucus and has mainly been focusing for New Hampshire and Super Tuesday. Plus, he is pretty liberal socially which will be a big benefit in the North East. For the Democrats, I thing Edwards will just out gun Hillary a second time around.
  • What you are saying here is that southern Democratsare racist.
    Let's not forget that a lot of southern Democrats are white. And no doubt some are racist. It sucks, but it's reality.
  • What you are saying here is thatsouthern Democratsare racist.
    Let's not forget that a lot of southern Democrats are white. And no doubt some are racist. It sucks, but it's reality.
    Which group is bigger, southern white democrats or southern black democrats?
  • edited January 2008

Yours is not the generation destined to expunge racism from the world. Racism has been here long before you came and it will be here long after you've gone.
    But our generation is the first to turn the corner after the Civil Rights movement. Those of us 20-35 are the kids of the folks who grew up during that time and most of us are benefiting from it. Look at the young faces behind Obama and the old ones behind everyone else. I was actually inspired hearing his speech last night and if a politician can make me feel that way and actually have policies I can back then he's got my vote.
    I'm pleased that you're inspired, but don't get too proud of your youth and your generation. There were plenty of young faces in the crowd supporting Shirley Chisholm in '72 and in the crowds supporting Jesse Jackson and Geraldine Ferraro in '84 and and Jesse Jackson again in '88. Your generation did not invent tolerance.