This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• chaosof99 said:

Well, the defending Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings have just been eliminated from even making the playoffs.

And there was much rejoycing (in the western conference)
  • For my entire sentient life, the Red Wings have been in the Stanley Cup playoffs. The idea of them not even making the cut is entirely foreign to me.

They started strong this season, but had one of the worst losing streaks in franchise history in the last months. There was a chance they wouldn't make the playoffs.

They made it.

Fuck haters.
  • Rym said:

For my entire sentient life, the Red Wings have been in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

You weren't sentient in 1990?

• chaosof99 said:

Rym said:

For my entire sentient life, the Red Wings have been in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

You weren't sentient in 1990?

I was 8. 8 year olds are barely sentient.

• Quack, quack! Now that the gf has no dogs in the fight (Her avs didn't make it either), she's now officially a bandwagon member of Ducks Nation.

What makes the Kings elimination all the sweeter for me is that over half the teams make the playoffs.....and they didn't b
  • Weird feeling: Hoping that your own team loses just to fuck over a team you hate.
  • The playoffs start today!

I have the Rangers winning over St. Louis in the SCF. I'm not convinced that Chicago or Anaheim will do anything noteworthy.
  • PyreKing said:

The playoffs start today!

I have the Rangers winning over St. Louis in the SCF. I'm not convinced that Chicago or Anaheim will do anything noteworthy.

Anaheim is ridiculously dangerous. I fear them the most.
  • Apreche said:

Really? As a fan whose watched them the later part of the season (I only like sports as they approach the playoffs, sue me), our lack of consistent goalie play scares me. Sure, we find ways to win tight games but we also get blown out A LOT. See our goal differential as evidence.

And you bet your sweet patooty I'm going to get to a home game in the playoffs, work schedule allowing. If the series with Winnipeg goes to 7 (and it won't, either way) I can make that game.
  • Dromaro said:

Apreche said:

Really? As a fan whose watched them the later part of the season (I only like sports as they approach the playoffs, sue me), our lack of consistent goalie play scares me. Sure, we find ways to win tight games but we also get blown out A LOT. See our goal differential as evidence.

And you bet your sweet patooty I'm going to get to a home game in the playoffs, work schedule allowing. If the series with Winnipeg goes to 7 (and it won't, either way) I can make that game.
    Well, you may be right. NHL '15 picked you to win it, and it's always wrong.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-15-sim-predicts-ducks-as-stanley-cup-champs-over-ny-rangers-160159130.html
  • Yeah, the Rangers are the only team I think the Ducks have a less than 25% chance of beating in a SCP and I don't think anyone else will be coming out of the East...

The only road bumps I see in the West are Chicago and, to a lesser degree, St. Louis.

In any event, it's nice to have a Hockey playoff with people to share it with AND a gf who loves hockey. New feels but good feels.
  • Fuck the Islanders.
  • Andrew said:

Fuck the Islanders.

If the Rangers or the Red Wings don't get the cup, I hope the Islanders do.

I want a world where major sports championships are regularly between two New York teams.

• Apreche said:

PyreKing said:

The playoffs start today!

I looked at some stats last night. Anaheim is 20th in goals against, and 28th on the powerplay.

The Bruins won it all with a bad powerplay in 2011, but only because Tim Thomas had a career year.
  • Andrew said:

Fuck the Islanders.

• One down. Fifteen to go.
  • Anaheim got two powerplay goals tonight, so that shows how much I know. Winnipeg played a good game, but they stopped playing halfway through.
  • I have yet to see it since I'm working tonight but I plan on watching it once I'm home.

God damn, these come from behind wins are harrowing but they're also exciting.
  • The Oilers won the McDavid lottery. Further proof that there is no god. That team has picked 1st overall in 2010, 2011 and 2012, plus 3rd overall last year, and has made not a single step forward. It's a goddamn graveyard of young talent.
  • edited April 2015
    Outside of the Bruins winning, I was rooting for Toronto to win the lottery. Leafs management has been incompetent for awhile, but Shanahan finally seems to be the leader they need.

Plus, a divisional rivalry with McDavid and Eichel would have been amazing to watch.
    Post edited by PyreKing on
  • I was rooting for Edmonton to win the lottery, and they did! It is indeed a graveyard as chaos pointed out. But the franchise has the history of Gretzky/Messier. Within he strong Rangers connection I really want them to return to glory days. Buffalo was good in the past, they can recover nicely. Toronto needs to stay shitty forever.
  • Two minutes in the box.

I should note that when Emily and I went to game two? We noticed something sad.

Easily 99% of the crowd was white. You could see the individual non-white people. They stood out starkly. There were maybe 5-6 of them. Everyone else was white. Starkly white.

Granted, it's not just due to social and economic oppression putting MSG out of reach. It is fair to say that hockey fandom derives largely from nordic and northern cultures. But still. 99%? Fuck that.

Fuck all of this.

What do we do about it?
  • For them to watch hockey they have to play hockey. Hockey is really expensive to play.
  • Andrew said:

Fuck the Islanders.

• edited April 2015
    I would have liked to see the Rangers and Islanders place each other.

No doubt Washington was the better team, though.
    Post edited by PyreKing on
  • We disposed of Washington in the playoffs when we were a worse team than we are today. With all this rest and Washington playing 7 games, we have no excuse for failure.
  • Fuck the Rags.
  • I never thought I'd say this but... Go Caps.

Now excuse me while I wash the vomit out of my mouth.

My prediction is Ducks over Calgary in 6. My prediction of a Ducks/Blackhawks Western Final holds.