This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• Wednesday
  • It's hard to watch Red Wings/Rangers. I just sort of root for everyone. At least, if nothing else, it's great hockey. Just as great as Rangers/Caps.

But I will not pretend I'm not thankful I don't have to watch another Rangers/Wings game for a while if at all.

• One year friendly fire takes out Zucc with a puck to the head. Then friendly fire takes out Hank with a stick in the face.

Welp, I'll save a lot of time this spring watching a lot fewer hockey games.
  • Neito said:

And for the second straight year, the B's are out of the playoffs.

Oh well, maybe the Sox will be good this year.

I fantasize about the Celtics beating Golden State.
  • PyreKing said:

Neito said:

And for the second straight year, the B's are out of the playoffs.

Oh well, maybe the Sox will be good this year.

I fantasize about the Celtics beating Golden State.
    You're an optimistic son of a bitch, aintcha?
  • edited April 2016
    Yeah, what up Philly! What up! >:D
    (I'll ride that Caps bandwagon until the cows come home, or at least until they play the Rangers.)

At least I can be happy that some of my bracket won Game 1, after both the Wings and the Rangers lost last night. It was kinda great though. Rym had the Red Wings on in the computer room and I was cooking supper and watching the Rangers in the living room, and we were shouting back and forth. I could hear him lose it in the other room when something crazy happened.

Me (Chopping garlic): Shit! Turnover, Crosby's got it, oh no oh no. Saved! Thank fuck.
    Rym (in the other room): Whaa! It happened again!
    Me: What? They score?
    Rym: No, there's another huge fight!

Yeah, Rangers kinda botched it (and I'm worried about Lundqvist's eyeball--having recently had an eye injury, they are not fun.) The Red Wings game was bizarre. What a chippy, chirpy clusterfuck. Lotsa punching! It's like Tampa is the new Avalanche to them. All they need is a goalie fight...
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • gomidog said:

Yeah, what up Philly! What up! >:D
    (I'll ride that that Caps bandwagon until the cows come home, or at least until they play the Rangers.)

• 1. Red Wings
    2. Rangers
    3. Caps
    4. Literally don't care as long as it isn't Tampa
  • 1. New York
    2. Anyone that's not Philly
    3. Anyone that's not Brooklyn, Washington, or Pittsburgh
  • 1. Washington
    2. San Jose
    3. Florida
    4. Islanders
    5. Anybody else except LA or Chicago
  • That fight as a beauty to behold.

I fully expect some form of disciplinary action against that Red Wing that dog piled in there. Props to Ben Bishop for being calm enough to let that scrum happen in front of him and not get involved.
  • OMG we won on the road. We have a pulse.
  • I thought the Flyers had a punchers chance. Then Couturier went down. We are fucked. Tonight was at least fun to start out with but then the same shit happened. And this team just has no fucking luck whatsoever (I mean, that puck bouncing off the glass right toward Kutznetsov, just groan-inducing).

Hopefully they'll at least extend the season one more game in game 4 and don't get swept. Anyway, it is still a step forward with making the playoffs and when the rest of the defensemen prospects plus Konecny are coming in this team should become competitive rather quickly.
  • Oh, right, I forgot Konecny was drafted by the Flyers. 2015 draft class was a good one for lotsa teams, huh.

I gotta say, watching clips from the game tonight, part of my aversion to Flyers is the fact that some their fanbase has the reputation of being kinda classless at games. (Present company excluded of course.) I have gone to games in NY where people with jerseys of the rival team sat next to me and there was only a bit of good natured banter; no spitting or swearing or battery throwing. Every team has its share of asshole fans, but I think a lot of the (sometimes deserved, sometimes not) bad rep the team has isn't Giroux and the rest, but has to do with fan culture.
  • edited April 2016
    gomidog said:

Oh, right, I forgot Konecny was drafted by the Flyers. 2015 draft class was a good one for lotsa teams, huh.

I'd say it was especially good for the Flyers with Konecny and Provorov.
    gomidog said:

I gotta say, watching clips from the game tonight, part of my aversion to Flyers is the fact that some their fanbase has the reputation of being kinda classless at games. (Present company excluded of course.) I have gone to games in NY where people with jerseys of the rival team sat next to me and there was only a bit of good natured banter; no spitting or swearing or battery throwing. Every team has its share of asshole fans, but I think a lot of the (sometimes deserved, sometimes not) bad rep the team has isn't Giroux and the rest, but has to do with fan culture.

Those types of fans really do exist for every team. Last week they held a moment of silence for Ed Snider in Pittsburgh and a couple of fans yelled "Flyers suck" during it. During the last playoff series between the Flyers and Caps, a Capitals fan threw a beer bottle at Jeff Carter. And two days ago a Wings fan dumped a beer on Brian Boyle.

The only difference is that for some godforsaken reason when a thing like this happens in Philadelphia it "confirms the reputation" which isn't even really deserved considering that every single media person and flyers fan on twitter I follow, and the organization itself, condemns such behavior. This includes calls to to have those assholes banned from the arena permanently.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • PUCK NIGHT
  • The thing is, the other night wasn't just a few bad eggs. A ton of fans started chucking the wristbands they received as an Ed Snider memorial at Orlov's head as he was being checked for a head injury. It was to the point where Wayne Simmonds and the PA guy both told them to cut it out. That kind of stuff is gross.

Fun fact: Simmonds and Tom Wilson train together in the offseason, and they apparently get along off the ice. (Wilson was saying Simmonds is probably going to be annoyed about that last fight.) I'm still mad at Simmonds for giving McDonagh a concussion, but he doesn't seem like a bad dude.
  • Scott, come over tonight to watch the hockey!
  • gomidog said:

Scott, come over tonight to watch the hockey!

I have to run a net.
  • His best bet is streaming on his phone or getting them to change the channel.

We'll drink beers and watch hockeys.
  • gomidog said:

The thing is, the other night wasn't just a few bad eggs. A ton of fans started chucking the wristbands.

• It was only 100 because only so many people were close enough to chuck them.
  • At least it wasn't beer bottles at santa.... Again.
  • edited April 2016
    It's a bad crowd when your own players say fans are acting "fucking embarrassing."

Identifying as a Flyers fan is kinda like identifying as a Gamer. I consider myself a Gamer, but at the same time I know I share that community with a lousy segment of it that causes heaps of stupid nonsense. I cannot deny that it exists, but it's not gonna stop me doing my thing. Just fight the bad culture where it rears its ugly head.

I mean, sports culture in general has kind of been my problematic fav for a long time. It's not like all Rangers fans are all perfect paragons of humanity.

Edit: Also, Scott, you will get in trouble and piss off the goalie if you run the net.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Playoffs never disappoint. This is when the real hockey happens.

https://streamable.com/i9v9
  • Can someone explain to me how so many dudes ended up in the box, and more of them were Blues than Blackhawks? And none of them were the dude who started it?

It was awesome, though.
  • Starfox said:

Can someone explain to me how so many dudes ended up in the box, and more of them were Blues than Blackhawks? And none of them were the dude who started it?

It was awesome, though.

Goalies never go in the box. Someone else serves the time for their crime.
  • That seems like a bad rule.