This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• Hockey can't happen without goalies, and teams only have two. There are crazy rules for when/how they can be replaced in an emergency.

So goalies still get in trouble, but someone else on the ice has to play the whipping boy.
  • Is "well you shouldn't have committed a penalty then" not a reasonable answer?
  • If you put the goalie in the box for a standard penalty like hooking or roughing and left the net open for 2 minutes, it would be a lot easier to score on that power play than if the same offense was committed by a forward. The main reason players go to the box isn't so much individual punishment, but to punish their team with a disadvantage. Why should your team be punished more of a goalie trips a player than a d-man? It's more equal if the same infraction affects a team in the same way no matter who does it.
  • gomidog said:

If you put the goalie in the box for a standard penalty like hooking or roughing and left the net open for 2 minutes, it would be a lot easier to score on that power play than if the same offense was committed by a forward. The main reason players go to the box isn't so much individual punishment, but to punish their team with a disadvantage. Why should your team be punished more of a goalie trips a player than a d-man? It's more equal if the same infraction affects a team in the same way no matter who does it.

I'm not disagreeing with you about penalizing goalies, but if you did put the goalie in the box, why can't you just put your backup goalie in front of the net for the powerplay and take someone else off? Just because the goalie is in the box doesn't mean that the team has to play without a goalie entirely.
  • Why bother? If you are going to be swapping out a player anyway, why go through the trouble of putting the backup in so the naughty goalie can sit in the box and feel shame?
  • Goalies need significant warmup time. When a team actually swaps goalies, there are rules for basically getting a free timeout to accomplish it.

Also, most teams' backup goalies are not good.
  • gomidog said:

Why bother? If you are going to be swapping out a player anyway, why go through the trouble of putting the backup in so the naughty goalie can sit in the box and feel shame?

The purpose of the penalty box is to penalize the team and to penalize the individual player. This would do both, but would not have an out-sized influence on the game other than the drop in quality between starting goalie and back-up goalie, but that's a different issue entirely.

If a player commits a penalty, that player should be punished. By not penalizing goalies, you're basically giving them immunity. You're letting them be above the law. The rules of the game should apply to all players regardless of position.
  • All minor penalties have a prescribed effect on the affected team, an equal effect.

But with the goalie, the same minor penalty pulling him from play not only delays the game, but has a more serious effect. It makes that player's penalty more damaging than a minor penalty otherwise would be.

There are a bunch of other rules specific to the goalie. They're a super secret special snowflake.
  • Even further, usually the only reason the backup goalie plays is because the main goalie has some medical reason to not play. If a penalty can force that player to play, the results could be devastating.
  • Rym said:

Even further, usually the only reason the backup goalie plays is because the main goalie has some medical reason to not play. If a penalty can force that player to play, the results could be devastating.

Backup goalie also plays when there are back to back games, meaningless end of season games, etc.
  • Those reasons all sound fine and good, but I can't shake the feeling it's super exploitable.

"Oops, sorry I took you out of the game with a high stick Mr. Ovechkin, guess Scrubby McFourthLine has to go sit in the box for two minutes."
  • Scrubby McFourthLine isn't on the ice at the same time as OV. You have to put someone who was on the ice in the box.

I don't believe anyone has ever successfully exploited this.
  • edited April 2016
    The backup also sees the ice in the event of an equipment failure of the starter. It happened to my Ducks in the last game of the season against the Caps. Turns out the caps couldn't score on either of our goalies. ;-)

There is also the problem of making the switch of the starter back on once his time in the sin bin is done. Logistical nightmare. For all the reasons stated above, plus a few that are so trivial/edge case they aren't worth mentioning, the NHL has this rule right.
    Starfox said:

Those reasons all sound fine and good, but I can't shake the feeling it's super exploitable.

"Oops, sorry I took you out of the game with a high stick Mr. Ovechkin, guess Scrubby McFourthLine has to go sit in the box for two minutes."

Theoretically they could put Scrubby McFourthline in the game when the goalie knowingly wants to fuck with someone. But no one does it. Too much effort for not enough gain.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I don't think it's exploitable at all. If a goalie draws a penalty, the same thing happens than if any other player draws a penalty--the team goes on the PK. Goalies do not usually enjoy when they have to kill a power play. It's no different if a goalie slashes Ovi than if a forward does in terms of the result, and if a goalie actually acted like a huge dick and attacked someone, they would be sent out of the game with a misconduct and the backup would take over. It's not practical/possible to have short term switches for minor infractions.

Also, think about how it works when a player goes in the box. When their time is up, they immediately skate back in to help out like it is a line change. With a goalie, play would have to be stopped to switch out with the backup.

TLDR: your idea is silly.
  • Further, there's a difference between drawing a minor penalty in the course of play, and attempting to harm a player.

If you high stick on purpose to fuck someone up, there are serious consequences.
  • Flyers got at least a little bit of dignity back. Plus Ghost scoring in the playoffs :)

Unfortunately, the way Laughton went into the boards has me worried.
  • Bolts move on. My bracket is looking perfect so far and the Ducks have their heads out of their asses so I'm confident I'll carry a perfect bracket into the next round.
  • I'm glad that Laughton seems to be okay. Those kind of injuries are so scary.

Rangers were sooooo sad last night. Poor Hank.

Sad that Red Wings went out. Bye, Datsyuk.
  • 44 save shutout by Neuvirth. Absolutely ridiculous performance. Somehow the Flyers are still alive.
  • edited April 2016
    And this is why I love he Flyers (among other reasons).

For those not in the know, the guy is Lou Nolan, the Flyers PA announcer at the Wells Fargo Center.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • They need to pull Lundqvist. I'm starting to feel sorry for the Rangers and I didn't think that wa a possible.
  • Well, it's over. Team got a farther than I expected, especially after that miserable game 3. Probably would have been more interesting if Couturier hadn't gone down in Game 1.

Anyway, it was a great season for one where we basically played with house money and weren't expected to do much. Basically nobody had the Flyers in the playoffs to begin with. Can't wait for next season when hopefully our blue line will get younger and better.
  • edited April 2016
    http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/04/26/tony-x-twitter-first-hockey-game/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=tpspagesfb&utm_campaign=fb

Dude watched hockey for the first time, and it was a playoff game 7. He tweeted it up, and became a meme of his own. "This shit lit as Fuck Lmaooooooo"
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Good thing it wasn't the Ducks' game 7 he watched.
  • I've put some time into actually watching some NHL this year and it makes me really want a Seattle team. Apparently there is a vote going on next week which could lead to such an occurrence.
  • Canucks?
  • MATATAT said:

I've put some time into actually watching some NHL this year and it makes me really want a Seattle team. Apparently there is a vote going on next week which could lead to such an occurrence.

It's better for hockey if they move a team like Arizona. It's better for the Rangers if they make an expansion team, since due to contract rules we can send players there to free up cap space.
  • Yeah, you go, Tony X.
  • Man, you know I am getting hard up for hockey when my team exits in the first round and I start doing shit like following the OHL playoffs. (London Knights Go!) I can't imagine what it must be like for Toronto or Buffalo fans. They must miss the days of any post-season at all.

I am also kinda invested in the Pens/Caps series. The Caps are hanging on by a thread...