This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• So what's the real rule? Can't hit a guy really hard? This sounds like checking to me:
    Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner
    Sure, opposed to all the non-violent checking. Is it a basketball-type deal, where you know a foul when you see one?
  • Call should have been boarding, not charging.
  • Starfox said:

So what's the real rule? Can't hit a guy really hard? This sounds like checking to me:

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner
    Sure, opposed to all the non-violent checking. Is it a basketball-type deal, where you know a foul when you see one?Yes, there is a "you can't hit too hard" rule. It's called charging. The purpose of hitting in hockey is to separate an opponent from the puck while still being able to play the puck oneself. It's not a Kamikaze attack that separates the opponent from his senses and leaves you unable to do anything with the puck yourself. Yes, this is at the refs and the league's discretion, just like every other penalty.
    Andrew said:

Call should have been boarding, not charging.

Except it's both boarding AND a textbook case of charging.

Wilson got a phone hearing today at noon, which I find kind of a joke, as phone hearings usually mean 5 games or less. Downie got 20 games for a similar incident by a similar type of player (rookie, trying to impress the brass and find a way into the line-up). Now I thought that was too much, but still, I hope it's the 5 games for Wilson in this case. Then again, this is the same league that gives 5 games to a guy who blatantly knees an opponent, who is prone on the ice, in the head. And then they wonder why they have a concussion epidemic in the league.
  • Just for the record, here's former NHL referee Kerry Fraser's take on the whole thing.
    Bob, this was a 100 per cent illegal hit. Tom Wilson approached Brayden Schenn with excessive speed from a considerable distance which results in a charging violation (Rule 42.1 - Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance travelled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner). Even though Schenn took a peek and simultaneously made a slight turn to avoid the contact, Wilson actually accelerated in the last eight-to-10 feet, rendering the Flyer player virtually defenceless. The accelerated speed and extra finish that Wilson exerted through the hit caused Schenn to crash violently into the end boards with significant impact to Schenn's head.

A boarding violation also occurred on this play (Rule 41.1 - A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based on the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee).
  • edited December 2013
    Holy mother of all fucks:

That was Claude Giroux's 100th NHL goal. It was also the goal that capped of a 5-4 victory, with all five goals scored in the 3rd period which the Flyers entered down 3-0. The guy doesn't even look at the fucking net.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • That's from the same game where that other dude got fuckin' destroyed against the boards, right?
  • Churba said:

That's from the same game where that other dude got fuckin' destroyed against the boards, right?

No, this is from tonight (today for you), not a half hour ago. The hit we discussed earlier was from the game before this one.

• Yes, this was an overtime game-winning goal.
  • chaosof99 said:

Yes, this was an overtime game-winning goal.

Ha!
  • edited December 2013
    Just saw this in a "Best Saves of the Year" article and had to share it. Happened in April in an AHL game (farm league directly below the NHL). Toronto Marlies goalie Drew MacIntyre robs one of the Rochester Americans with one arm behind his back, literally.
  • The best
  • edited January 2014
    So in his last game, Vancouver Canucks goon Tom Sestito earned himself 27 minutes in penalties in 1 second of ice time, by attempting to assault one of the LA Kings players in the following manner. It also gave the Kings a 7 minute power play (5 minute major and a 2 minute minor, consecutively).

Even Keith Olbermann called him out as "the worst person in the sports world", describing him as a "boxing hobo on skates". I only mention this because its funny to me since Olbermann is a noted left wing blowhard and Sestito is a right wing dumbass (as anybody reading his twitter feed will easily find out).

Sestito was apparently really proud of what he did, making an image of the above incident his twitter avatar.

So today the Canucks were losing to the Ducks 7-1. Sestito had already had a fight in this game, but then of course he had to top it off. Since another Canuck also joined in and punched a guy repeatedly while the other guy hadn't even dropped his gloves, the Canucks ended up being down by two men for 7 minutes.

Personally, I'm just surprised that Tortorella didn't put a towel on a stick and waive the white flag of surrender, as is Canucks tradition.
  • 14 minutes of pissed off goalies
  • I might have to make take a trip to Vancouver, BC to watch a Canucks game just to see these guys.

• I wonder if the green men would still do that stuff when the NHL will inevitably stick a team into Seattle.
    Anyway, Vancouver-Chicago is always a fun game to watch, and I guess it's a better tradition for the Canucks than a guy waving the white flag of surrender.
  • x-post Metal

• Women's Olympic hockey starts in two days. Men in 6 days.
  • edited February 2014
    Max Pacioretty, failing two penalty shots in 2 minutes.

To his credit though, the guy scored a hat trick that game and the Habs beat the Canucks 5-2. The Canucks are seeing their season collapse, having lost 6 games in a row and are now 4-12-2 in their last 18 games following a 10-1-2 December.
  • That second foul was pretty impressive!
  • edited February 2014
    And other adorableness by the japanese women's team.
  • USA Time! You're going down Slovakia.
  • Slovenia, you're not helping... If you're not going to beat the Russians, at least break Ovechkin's leg or something.
  • Austria lost to Finland 8-4 :/
    Can't really win a game where you give up 52 shots on goal.
    I guess the positive is that they score 4 goals on Tuukka Rask, including a hattrick by Michael Grabner.
  • chaosof99 said:

Austria lost to Finland 8-4 :/
    Can't really win a game where you give up 52 shots on goal.
    I guess the positive is that they score 4 goals on Tuukka Rask, including a hattrick by Michael Grabner.

I'm sure @Timo is happy. Sucks for us actually, because goal differential matters in this tournament format.
  • What did everyone do after the USA vs. Slovakia hockey game was over?

They watched the third period.
  • Let's go Sweden!