This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

IRC.

Comments

• Sorry, Scott, but this is the single worst argument I have ever heard you make. Don't tell me you wouldn't want instantaneous download of unlimited volume if you could have it.
  • edited January 2008
    Sorry, Scott, but this is the single worst argument I have ever heard you make. Don't tell me you wouldn't want instantaneous download of unlimited volume if you could have it.
    I already have more unconsumed consumable media already downloaded than I could consume in an entire year of free time. The only reason I would like instant unlimited downloading would be because I would no longer have to have any local storage whatsoever. I would just stream everything. Since I still have to have local storage, even with IRC speeds, I really couldn't care less.

Also, time while something is downloading doesn't actually take any free time from me. While something is downloading, I can ignore it and do something else. Bittorrent requires the least time and effort from me. Let's pretend that a bittorrent download takes one minute to setup, and an hour to actually transfer. Your IRC download takes 10 minutes to setup, but 5 minutes to complete. In my world, your IRC download is slower by 9 minutes.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Sorry, Scott, but this is the single worst argument I have ever heard you make. Don't tell me you wouldn't want instantaneous download of unlimited volume if you could have it.
    That's not IRC. That's Rapidshare. 99% of the stuff I have ever downloaded through IRC took hours just to get started. Darned queues. It works for smaller files though, like e-books, perhaps also audiobooks, but for anime episodes...
  • edited January 2008
    Sorry, Scott, but this is the single worst argument I have ever heard you make. Don't tell me you wouldn't want instantaneous download of unlimited volume if you could have it.
    That's not IRC. That's Rapidshare. 99% of the stuff I have ever downloaded through IRC took hours just to get started. Darned queues. It works for smaller files though, like e-books, perhaps also audiobooks, but for anime episodes...
    Yes, but Scott's argument is no longer limited to IRC. He is positing that there is an inherent speed that is "fast enough" without being instantaneous -- and he is questioning why anyone would want to go faster than his current standard. It's just wrong. It's Luddite-ism-icity-ness. Until I get any media on demand immediately, there will be no such thing as "fast enough." I'm fickle. If I want to watch a movie right now, then why would I be content to wait for a 60-minute download if the possibility existed to download it in one second?

And if I want to watch Hot Fuzz RIGHT NOW, why would I be content waiting for a slow BT download if I could have a faster one? Why should doing something else while waiting for the download be good enough?
    It takes less than 90 minutes to download a 90 minute movie. It takes way less than 60 minutes to download a 60 minute album. Going any faster would provide no benefit.
    You're wrong. My life is busy. If I have 90 minutes until I have to leave for work, I don't want to wait 70 or 80 for a movie to download. What if I want to show an anime to another person who has a limited window of time?
    The only reason I would like instant unlimited downloading would be because I would no longer have to have any local storage whatsoever.
    Why even bother with local storage? That's a flawed concept. With fast enough downloading, you won't have to store anything on your hard drive.
    Also, time while something is downloading doesn't actually take any free time from me. While something is downloading, I can ignore it and do something else.
    Why would you settle for less than perfect? That's always been your standard in every other argument. Why change when it comes to download speed?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • That's not IRC. That's Rapidshare. 99% of the stuff I have ever downloaded through IRC took hours just to get started. Darned queues.
    You're doing it wrong. Download from dedicated distro XDCC bots, not just some fag with a file server.
    Your IRC download takes 10 minutes to setup, but 5 minutes to complete.
    Don't make things up. It doesn't even take a minute to check the topic or a botlist to copy and paste a trigger.

When comes to getting new releases or catching up on old series, IRC is faster and more reliable.
  • edited January 2008
    Take two imaginary P2P systems, A and B.

System A requires the user to spend 5 minutes clicking around before the download actually starts. However, once that download starts, the transfer itself will take only 5 minutes.

System B requires the user to spend only 30 seconds clicking around before the download actually starts. However, once that download starts, the transfer will take 60 minutes.

I will use system B every time. Every second I spend getting the media is a second I spend not consuming the media. This is why Netflix owns Blockbuster. With system B I actually end up consuming more media and having more free time, even though the downloads take longer.

I have more unconsumed media available immediately, either digitally or physically stored in my house, that any spare minute can always be filled with something. If there were absolutely no new entertainment media immediately available, then a case could be made for the faster overall download. However, even at Bittorrent speeds, you can download media faster than it can be consumed, so this should never be true.

If there were indeed instant downloads that also took barely any time to get the transfer going, then we could do away with all this. The reality is that there are not instant transfers. Bittorrent is currently the best strategy for someone who does not have time to spare.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That's not IRC. That's Rapidshare. 99% of the stuff I have ever downloaded through IRC took hours just to get started. Darned queues.
    You're doing it wrong. Download from dedicated distro XDCC bots, not just some fag with a file server.
    That is from a dedicated XDCC server. The fags with file servers can give me files faster than the damned bots. And that's saying a lot when those file servers only send with 50kB/s max.

I do agree with you that IRC is more reliable and faster for old series, since old torrents are generally dead. However, new series are better downloaded via torrents because it's still hot, and thus there are a lot of seeds and peers maxing your download speed pretty fast. (this of course depends on your max download speed, it's 200kB/s for me and is maxed fast)

Anyways, I think Scott and Jason's arugment just comes down to their varying needs. Scott doesn't care how long his downloads take since he's downloading for later. Jason however doesn't download and when he wants to watch something, he wants it at that moment. Scott time shifts his entertainment, whereas Jason wants on-demand.

Jason, ever heard of Usenet? It's supposed to be very fucking fast. But the files only exist for a certain amount of time.

More reliable <--------------------> Faster
    IRC <---------> Torrent <---------> Usenet

I would also use system B. I start the download, check my email, check my feeds, check my to-do list, check download time left and then watch/listen to what I downloaded or do something on my to do list.
  • ah Usenet... I've been on Usenet for a long time. It's every bit as much a sewer as IRC, but still has it's uses. If you want something now, and it's fairly recent media there is a good chance it will be on Usenet. With sites that index newsgroups it's much easier to find what you need. The one problem is you pay for reliability.

It seems like when I search for a torrent I always get these old broken torrents, or a link that requires me to login to something to get the torrent file. Since I have Usenet a rarely need a torrent of anything so I've never taken the time to mess with it.

• It seems like when I search for a torrent I always get these old broken torrents, or a link that requires me to login to something to get the torrent file. Since I have Usenet a rarely need a torrent of anything so I've never taken the time to mess with it.
    What are you people doing for torrents? Just go to piratebay and everything will be nice and easy.
  • It seems like when I search for a torrent I always get these old broken torrents, or a link that requires me to login to something to get the torrent file. Since I have Usenet a rarely need a torrent of anything so I've never taken the time to mess with it.
    Eh... Sort by seeds? And use a meta search engine. Those work also, very nice even.
  • Let's try this instead of IRC. Get with the new decade.

https://convore.com/geeknights/
  • edited February 2011
    Alright let's do this! LEEROY JENKINS!
    EDIT: More people need to be in here for it to succeed, log in and chat for a while, it is truly a small sacrifice for the forum.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • I don't get it. It's pretty, but what's the benefit I get from it (rather than using IRC for chatting instantaneously with many people, or gchat/AIM for one-on-one)?
  • I don't get it. It's pretty, but what's the benefit I get from it (rather than using IRC for chatting instantaneously with many people, or gchat/AIM for one-on-one)?
    It's newer so it's better than irc.
    Because IRC is not accessible for normal people.
  • IRC is not accessible for normal people.
    I've walked even my least technical friends through using mibbit. I agree that it isn't totally accessible, but I don't think it is quite as inaccessible as you are implying.
  • edited February 2011
    Because IRC is not accessible for normal people.
    Good thing that my friends are unnatural freaks and geeks who are able to read and follow written instructions.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • edited February 2011
    Good thing that my friends are unnatural freaks and geeks who are able to read and follow written instructions.
    Yeah, how is IRC not accessible? For apple users, just download a client (like Colloquy), then enter the server (freenode). Enter in a username. Connect. If NickServ tells you to register, type what it tells you and make a password. Join the room you want. Not that hard.

I'll admit, it's somewhat difficult if your first time is using irssi, and you have no instructions. But that's not something that would happen.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Yeah, how is IRC not accessible?
    You do what for a living? That's right.

From going to conventions so often, I was frequently astonished by how many geeks, and not just old ones, in the non-technology geekeries such as anime, comics, and games were completely technologically incompetent. Most would only have a slightly better chance of getting IRC to work than my grandma would. Unless it's a simple web page with chat in it that just works, they'll never make it go.
  • Weed out the nincompoops? Sounds good to me.
    I just like the word "nincompoops."
    Try saying "Shwa" a few times. It's fun.
    Try saying "Shwa" a few times. It's fun.
    Holy hell! I didn't think there could be anything more fun than saying "tweezers" but this takes the cake! Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa Shwa!
  • Apparently an old friend of ours helps run a suitable IRC network. I still doubt that running a channel is worthwhile and non-redundant, but i'm willing to test it out and see how long it lasts.
  • Isn't every network suitable?
  • If you set up a channel for us, I know I'd use it.
  • Depends on the network. EFNet probably isn't suitable. I have buddies who run a tiny little network called LunarNet that's small and stable, so that may be more suitable. Not sure if any other networks work, but then again, LunarNet is the only one I use these days.
  • I think this is the one referenced http://foonetic.net/
  • I think this is the one referenced http://foonetic.net/
    Oooh, psychic Internet powers you have.

#geeknights

I just had to get a bot in there to do logging.