This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PS2 Modchips

edited May 2006 in Everything Else
Okay, now I'm not sure how much people would know about this subject here (since there are a lot of Sony haters), but I was wondering what modchips or mod systems work well for allowing an North American reagion PS2 to play Japanese games. Though I don't intend to break the law or anything... I really want to know if there is anything out there that actually works well. I've already seen the Magic Swap stuff and it really doesn't look good at all. Here's a preview of it. I'd just be concerned about the radiation the red laser gives off during that.

As for chips, I really don't know what would probably work and what wouldn't. Does anybody here know anything so my innocent curiosity can come to an end?

Comments

• http://www.modchip.com/ps2/
  • You know, I've been really wondering how dangerous the PS2 (a.k.a. DVD-ROM) laser is. Most CD players and DVD players are in Class I, but I have been unable to find out what class laser the DVD-ROM drive in a PS2 uses. I'm guessing that it's either class I or class II, but I'm not totally sure.
  • Class I doesn't necessarily mean the laser is safe. Laser classes have more to do with the general safety in the operating environment than with the actual power of the laser. For example, a more powerful laser can be considered a lower class if it is protected by an enclosure or interlock, but outside of that it is considered a higher class.

Your PS2's laser may well be dangerous, but there are likely several interlocks that will prevent you from actually viewing it. Also, since the PS2 should be UNPLUGGED while you're working on it, there should be no risk.
  • Well, the thing that looks back about Swap Magic is it allows you to open the PS2 while it's on. That's the main thing that really bothers me about the idea. However, I'm not sure if it's dangerous to open the PS2 while the laser is on if you open the disc tray on the old ones. Thoughs new slim PS2s, on the other hand, look deadly to have open while the laser is running. The main thing I'm wondering now is if the tray type is dangerous to use this for.
  • Even if the laser was exposed and on, it wouldn't be that dangerous. It's not like they put a laser in there that is so high-powered it can set your house on fire instantly. It will probably blind you instantly if you get shot directly in the eye. But if you hit say, your hand, it will only burn a tiny bit. Not something to be very afraid of.
  • The laser in the DVD-ROM drive of a PS2 is really that bad?
  • pretty much any laser to the eye will cause permanent damage.
  • So basically, if you can't see the laser, then you're not seconds from death and blindness. Okay, then the disc tray version of Swap Magic 3 is probably safe, so if I were a bad person, I would get Swap Magic 3 along with games from Japan and never be bind.
  • There is really no danger since if you had the PS2 open it would be off, heh.
  • You can't "see" a laser, because it's a laser. It has to reflect off of something in order for you to see it. That's why with a laser pointer all you see is a red dot on the wall. If your PS2 laser is shooting out, you probably won't see it. It has to hit you directly in the eye in order for it to hurt you. It should be pretty obvious when looking at the PS2's cd-drive where the laser is coming out of. Just don't aim that directly at an eyeball.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2006
    "It will probably blind you instantly if you get shot directly in the eye. But if you hit say, your hand, it will only burn a tiny bit. Not something to be very afraid of."

Umm, no... It's not going to burn anyone. There is no laser in any consumer electronics that can burn or significantly heat flesh, especially in a CD/DVD player. They can harm eyes, this is true, but nothing more.

Also, note that these lasers are focused by optics to a very near point: any laser light exposed to your eye from one would likely be diffuse and have no ill effect.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety