This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu Newbie

edited May 2006 in Technology
So, I realize that this isn't a tech support forum but since you guys are so outspoken about getting people to switch over to Linux I'm hoping you won't mind setting someone on the right path here.

I recently came across an older box that I wasn't doing anything with and desided its high time I learned a bit about linux. I desided on Ubuntu and downloaded the ISO. I cracked it open and burned it to disk. I popped it into the CD drive, turned on the pc, and nothing happened. Is it supposed to boot from the disk?

Comments

• edited May 2006
    It would probably be better for everyone concerned if you just sent of for a free CD - it comes with an install and a live CD.
    Also make sure the ISO is for your processor spec - Got a 64 Bit pc, get a 64Bit ubuntu ISO, 32Bit on 64Bit processor shouldn't matter but you will have trouble with running a 64BIT ISO on a 32bit Chip.

Hope that makes sense
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • Are you sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD?
  • The thing is that some computers aren't configured to boot from the CD. You have to go into the BIOS and set the CDROM to be the first boot device.
  • edited May 2006
    Loz, I'm afraid that I don't have that kind of patience to wait for the CD although you are possibly right. I'm an instant gratification kind of guy. Not to mention that a PC prob that I can't figure out irks me.

Its the right version and the pc is set to boot from CD. It gets to the boot from CD part and just hangs.

I think I figured it out. I have not tested it yet but I think it was the way I burned the CD. I d/l'ed the ISO, extracted it, then burned the files to CD instead of using NERO or something to go straight from ISO to CD. My boss just said that when you do it the way I did you loose the boot files. Gonna try that out when I get home.

BTW, thanks for the REALLY quick responce. I hope to be joining the Linux ranks soon. :) I'll let ya know how things work out.
    Post edited by Scooter on
  • Yeah, why would you extract the iso first? You have to burn the ISO directly to the CD or else the boot files will not be in the correct position on MBR of the disc.
  • Apreche.......call it a moment of stupid. Oh, yea, and I just put the disk burned properly from the ISO and it confirms my stupidity. Watching progress bars bore me so I'm cruzing the forum whilst I install. Man...what a frigg'n easy install too. This is LINUX?!?! Where is the HARD?!?!?! LOL
  • The hard is in the Gentoo Linux. That's why Ubuntu us so revolutionary. It's the first Linux to take out the hard without taking out the quality. Other "easy" distros like Fedora have always sucked compared to distros like Gentoo and Debian. But Gentoo and Debian require you to learn things in order to make them work. Ubuntu is probably easier to install than any operating system ever.
  • I'd buy that, Apreche. I don't mind learning things but I wanted to start w/ something simple. I'd heard Ubuntu was easy and good too. I know its stupid to be excited about installing my first linux distro but I've spent 12 years in the IT industry on the hardware side of things and never delt with any sort of linux. I guess I'm just showing my geeky colors. My wife thinks I'm nuts.
  • lol

FYI here is my history of Linux usage

In 1999 I used Red Hat 5.9 and Red Hat 6. It sucked pretty hard. Couldn't get my USB modem to work :(

In 2000 I used Mandrake Linux because it had a nicer installer and it actually worked with all of my hardware. Red Hat did not. I stuck with Mandrake, and upgraded it a few times over the next three years. I didn't learn a great deal about Linux during this time. All I really learned was how to use bash, X and ssh. That made Linux really pleasant for doing my Computer Science homework with, but I always rebooted back to Windows for games. Thus was the way of college.

In 2003/2004 I got a new computer, which is my current computer. I decided I wanted to use a new distro. I tried every major distro in the book. I failed to install Gentoo twice, and almost gave up on it. But the allure of its tantalizing bootsplash screen got me. After 5 tries I successfully installed Gentoo Linux. I run Gentoo Linux to this day. I learned all my insane Linux knowledge just by using Gentoo Linux as my primary OS.

However, when Ubuntu appeared on the scene I started using it. Now I prefer Ubuntu actually. I might even switch to it when Dapper Drake goes stable. The reason is that I've already learned everything Gentoo has to teach me. Now I care more about using my computer than learning from it. This means that all the times Gentoo used to force me to learn something, now are just annoyances.

I think that should help you understand different distros a bit :)
  • edited May 2006
    Thats good background, man.

Well it worked and this is my first post as a linux geek. :)

I think you hit the nail on the head. You switched when you didn't have anything else to learn. That is a large part of my need to try something different. I still have my windoze pc as a security blanket and games but I'm going to try to spend most of my time on my new Linux PC to force learning. I thought I'd also get ahead of the game for when Vista comes out.
    Post edited by Scooter on
  • edited May 2006
    If you dont have nero or another program to burn iso files try ISO Recorder by: Alex Feinman.

If you google it you should get it near the top. I used it to burn Ubuntu disk myself and it worked perfectly.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • You have to switch the boot sequence which by default has the HD first. If it's a computer you had used before make sure you totally format the drive and clear the CMOS data
  • Thanks for the great help guys. It looks like everything is up and running. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it! :)
  • Yeah, the installation is the easiest part with Ubuntu. But now you have a GeekNights episode to help you with everything.
  • Why indeed I do!

In all reality, I need a general Linux lesson as much or more. (hint...hint...)
  • Fine... next monday, maybe.