This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Open Primaries

edited January 2008 in Politics
New Hampshire has an open primary, I'm not sure but I think South Carolina does too.

I don't mind open primaries as long as both parties have a primary. Right now both parties are running candidates so the likelihood of cross party spoilers voting is low. However, one has to wonder, where will the independents go?

Comments

• Georgia has one. I'm a registered Independent (they lump Ind & Dem together here) but I crossed in the 2000 primaries to vote for John McCain. I figured he needed my help more than anyone on the Dem side.
  • I don't mind open primaries as long as both parties have a primary. Right now both parties are running candidates so the likelihood of cross party spoilers voting is low.
    There is either a ton of cross-party voting this time, or else a ton of new voters, as they're running out of Democratic ballots. ^_~
  • Likely new voters, all voting for Obama.

I honestly think Hillary is done. The shit she is pulling right now just screams, "I am desperate."
  • I'm really suprised that she is doing so well in New Hampshire but Obama is still the real winner. He is coming in such a strong second-place that its almost just as good.
  • Yeah, too bad Obama didn't win. I'm glad Edwards got less than half the votes of either of the frontrunners on the Democrat side, but I'm sad Huckabee didn't do even worse on the Republican side. I think I could live with McCain, Giuliani, or Romney as president but I really, really don't want to see a President Huckabee.
  • Yeah, too bad Obama didn't win. I'm glad Edwards got less than half the votes of either of the frontrunners on the Democrat side, but I'm sad Huckabee didn't do even worse on the Republican side. I think I could live with McCain, Giuliani, or Romney as president but I really, really don't want to see a President Huckabee.
    Strike Giuliani from the list and I'm with you, that man thinks himself infalliable, I really don't want him to be president.
  • Isn't Huckabee the guy who wants to reintroduce religion into public schools?
  • edited January 2008
    Huckabee's health care plan appears to be flawed. I was listening to him talk about it on CNN. He mentioned that there is the employer and the employee involved in the paying of health care and that the employee or consumer never knows what he is paying for health care (so far so good). Everyone focuses health care on treating rather than preventing (good, good, I believe that). Then he says that to solve this, he wants to take the employer out of the equation so that the consumer/employee pays his own health care. This way, the consumer would know what they are paying for health care and may start to make changes to limit their need for health care, because people tend to use something more when they feel it is free. And this is where he looses me. If the consumer was forced to pay 100% of the costs, here are the flaws I see with it:
    -It does not solve the current high health care costs which are outrageous, in my opinion. It may even make it worse since people may start using it less, making medical practitioners, hospitals, ect. raise their prices to compensate.
    -It will become more expensive for people, so more people will be unable to afford health insurance and cancel it, making health insurance more expensive.
    -The consumer who has health problems that cannot be cured or prevented, will bear the weight of this plan, which is unacceptable to me.

I heard Romney made health insurance mandatory in Massachusetts. I was skeptical when I heard this, but then they said this actually dropped health care premiums (as an example) from, say $350/month to $150/month. Sounds great to me!

I haven't heard any of the other candidates' views on health care.

McCain's plan for immigration I don't like. He wants to grant illegals a way to legally become a citizen. however, there already is a way to do it, and they're not doing it. Why should they be able to jump the line in becoming a citizen when there are people already patiently waiting LEGALLY?!?

That is like saying if someone committed a crime, instead of going to jail we would say, congratulations, you just earned a free ride. We're not going to prosecute you, we will make it as if you didn't do anything wrong.
    Post edited by bodtchboy on
  • Isn't Huckabee the guy who wants to reintroduce religion into public schools?
    Yes. Along with Chuch Norris.
  • edited January 2008
    Making health insurance mandatory does make it cheaper because all those under 35 people start paying into the system.

Even though my company offered it I never opted for health insurance until I got married. I was young and I figured (rightly) that the only time I'll be in a hospital is when I get in a car accident. Why blow $100 a month of insurance premiums when I know I will not use them?

You could use the same system to make car insurance cheaper by making everyone have to have it even if they do not own a car.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on

• Even though my company offered it I never opted for health insurance until I got married. I was young and I figured (rightly) that the only time I'll be in a hospital is when I get in a car accident. Why blow $100 a month of insurance premiums when I know I will not use them?
    Because you want to go get regular check-ups.
  • Removing health care from the employment relationship would mean no more collective bargaining, which would mean higher rates.

Making health insurance mandatory would not mean lower rates because it would mean less competition for customers. Don't expect health care costs to go down while the insurance lobby exists.

• Even though my company offered it I never opted for health insurance until I got married. I was young and I figured (rightly) that the only time I'll be in a hospital is when I get in a car accident. Why blow $100 a month of insurance premiums when I know I will not use them?
    Because you want to go get regular check-ups.
    That is a relatively new idea. I'm talking old school health insurance not these new fangled HMO things.
  • That is a relatively new idea. I'm talking old school health insurance not these new fangled HMO things.
    I don't have an HMO. I get regular checkups.
  • That is a relatively new idea. I'm talking old school health insurance not these new fangled HMO things.
    I don't have an HMO. I get regular checkups.
    Real men don't get regular checkups. We only go to the hospital when a limb has fallen off.

• Real men don't get regular checkups. We only go to the hospital when a limb has fallen off it's too late to do anything about it.