This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

USA Today Candidate Quiz

edited January 2008 in Politics
Very interesting site...
USA Today Candidate Quiz

You answer 10 issues that (apparently) are the crux of the debates between candidates and it works out in graph form who you are most in line with. Gives break down of reasons, visual representation of how much each issue affects the total, as well as the opportunity to weigh the different types of issues which makes it even more accurate. Give it a try. I also suggest not to look at what the candidates say until after you answer and weigh the questions. Idea is it will make you more honest.

Comments

• Interesting enough. It has me supporting the die-hard christo-fascist theocrats like Huckabee, which this atheist libertarian (small 'l'!) type finds amusing.

I think their issue list is incomplete.
  • The main problem I found with this is the limited list of only 5 choices for different positions on the issues. My answer to almost every question is "none of the above". I tried to pick the answer that was closest to where I stand, but it gave me John McCain as #1, which is laughable. However, it did give Kucinich as my #2, which is not too far off I guess.
  • It's better than some tests I've seen, but obviously it's still obviously flawed. Richardson, Obama, Biden, which seems pretty reasonable.
  • "Supposedly" it represents the 10 most pressing issues according to the national polls, with the 5 or 6 answers that generalizes the candidates positions the closest. There were a few questions that I had no real answer for, and on those I just weighed them less than the others. Overall, for what it is, it seems like a pretty decent system.
  • I think it's more likely to show you a candidate that USA Today wants you to vote for rather than the candidate that supports issues I really care about.

Where are the issues that matter to me? For example:
    1) Plans to combat corruption (limit corporate welfare/lobbyist influence)
    2) Promise to maintain/expand civil liberties
    3) Promote education and technology (not corporate or theocratic propaganda)
    4) Allow state autonomy for divisive social issues (abortion/gay marriage)

I'm not sure any of the candidates really share all of my concerns.
  • God this quiz blows. Incomplete issue list, told me that I like McCain (Ron Paul, although I'm not a Ronpaulian in the Digg sense of the word, beats McCain any day) until I adjusted the sliders on the right. I especially hated the immigration, tax, and experience questions because oftentimes my answers didn't come close to any of the provided options. After I adjusted the sliders, it had Kucinich and Gravel in a tie (Gravel is my favorite). I still support Obama, however, because I'm not delusional. There are better quizzes out there, but the best thing to do is read Wikipedia's "Political Positions of [Candidate Name Here]" pages for each candidate.
  • Not surprisingly, people on this forum care about different things than the vast majority of the American population.
  • Gravel is my favorite
    Gravel is great, except for his crazy "Fairtax" support...
  • This quiz is utter bollix. It had two of the Republicans I hate as my #2 and #3.
  • I came up Gravel, Kucinich and Biden.

I guess politically I'm hopeless. ^_^
  • The problem with Kucinich is that he has about as much of a chance as Adlai Stevenson.

I got Kucinich, Gravel, and Dodd. None of whom have a snowball's chance. I don't think Gravel and Dodd are even still running.
  • I came up Gravel, Kucinich and Biden.

I guess politically I'm hopeless. ^_^
    You think that's hopeless? I got Dodd, Gravel and Richardson.
  • It gave me Kusinnich, Biden, and McCain. I call shinnenigans on the McCain since he hasn't said anything I find even remotely good.
  • It seems that anyone that isn't 100% "ZOMG I <3 TAXES AND ANYONE WHO THINKS OTHERWISE IS WRONG" automatically likes McCain. Whatever.
  • I call shinnenigans on the McCain since he hasn't said anything I find even remotely good.
    \]

Wait, so his steadfast objection to any torture is not even remotely good?
  • edited February 2008
    I call shinnenigans on the McCain since he hasn't said anything I find even remotely good.
    \]

I never heard him say that, but then again, I would not have believed him if I had heard him when he said it. ALso, that wasn't one of the questions in the quiz. ^_^'
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited February 2008
    I call shinnenigans on the McCain since he hasn't said anything I find even remotely good.
    \]
    I never heard him say that, but then again, I would not have believed him if I had heard him when he said it. ALso, that wasn't one of the questions in the quiz. ^_^'
    Yeah, McCain is opposed to torture, no matter what you call it. I think he's the only Republican who holds that position.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • I call shinnenigans on the McCain since he hasn't said anything I find even remotely good.
    \]
    Yeah, McCain is opposed to torture, no matter what you call it. I think he's the only Republican who holds that position.
    Precisely the reason why McCain is the only Republican I could come close to supporting.
  • edited February 2008
    So if you haven't heard him take a stand against torture... Then you really haven't ever heard McCain because it's one of his big issues. (mainly because he was a POW and was tortured)

I'm just saying, I'm not going to support him because I think he's sold himself (as a independent type) out a bit too much to win the primaries. The Man is definitely a lesser of the evils in the republican party these days.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • 1. Fred thompson.
    2. Rudy Giuliani.
    3. John McCain.

That sounds about right.