This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080121 - Keyboards

2»

Comments

• Apparently I type like Rym? I learned the very very basics of typing from the typing class, but honestly, I learned how to type by going into gigantic AOL chats (back when it was my ISP. Dial up... long time ago). You had to type fast if you ever wanted to get everything in, so, I did. And I also type really loudly. I don't know why, I just do. Even on my laptop which is pretty quiet, I end up being loud. Oh, *and* I float my hands around the keyboard, too. o_O;

Working in a doctor's office where we frequently enter insurance numbers for new patients, I will admit the advantages (time, speed) of the num pad, but I'm just not familiar with it, and sometimes I'll just give up and use the numbers above the qwertyuiop row. XD

Something else about the keyboard: I hate when the enter key is in that funny L shape and it takes up two rows. I'll try to use the right shift key... and end up hitting enter. (My keyboard doesn't have that, though.)
    edited January 2008
    Something else about the keyboard: I hate when the enter key is in that funny L shape and it takes up two rows. I'll try to use the right shift key... and end up hitting enter. (My keyboard doesn't have that, though.)
    How do you do that? If the Enter key only takes up one row, it's the row above the right Shift and it's even wider! How can you hit the right Shift correctly then when you can't when the Enter key is smaller width wise?

And it seems, from all the people I have seen and heard it from, that the people who have their hands floating above the keyboard taught themselves fast typing. With or without a few typing lessons. And everyone who learned typing mainly through lessons seem to stick to the taught home row. So now I wonder which is better, faster and easier.
    Post edited by ... on
  • So I was listening to this last night and when Rym got the part where he was talking about all the useless keys on his keyboard, I said to myself, "yeah, I got a lot of those." He talked about the email button, I have an email, I pressed, and Ubuntu froze.

It was actually a massive coincidence, the cause was my hard drive chose that moment to pack up and die, but I found it hilarious at the time.
  • How do you do that? If the Enter key only takes up one row, it's the row above the right Shift and it's even wider! How can you hit the right Shift correctly then when you can't when the Enter key is smaller width wise?
    In retrospect, I'm not sure how I managed that either, but I remember it bothering me a lot on my friend's keyboard. :P
  • When it comes to keyboards I'm fairly happy so long as it's the standard QWERTY layout and has all the keys. I do take issue with split-boards ("more ergonomic," my ass) and boards that jack with the layout I'm used to (i.e. the ones that move the pipe and backslash or get rid of the Insert key). Having to re-learn key locations is a pain in the tail. I've been using a Saitek Eclipse keyboard at home for the last few years and it hasn't done wrong by me yet. The backlight feature is fairly useless as I usually have a light on when I'm using the PC and I generally don't use the volume keys on the board as that's why there is a knob on the speakers, but it's a decent piece of gear. I've considered getting a Happy Hacking board before, but I generally don't do enough coding to justify the cost of buying another board.
  • It seems to me that many writers/creative professionals these days are using Macbooks or some other type of laptop. The convenience of taking your keyboard to coffee shops trumps ergonomics. I just use my Thinkpad keyboard now while my desktop's split keyboard gathers dust. I'm so used to its shallow travel and clicky action that I may replace the other one with a Lenovo version. I'd also be getting a nipple.

I love the nipple.
  • edited January 2008
    The nipple is the best pointing decide that can be integrated with a laptop. I miss my thinkpad, it died a year ago of sudden graphics card arrest. :'(
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited January 2008
    I picked up An Ideazon Merc Stealth when it hit the shelves. It doesn't have a dedicated delete or direction block, instead they are integrated with the numpad, and you switch between the two with the numlock key. If it did have them seperate, the keyboard would be entirely too wide. The gaming section on the left is laid out EXTREMELY well, and the software for automatically changing key bindings built into the board work perfectly. The editing in the software works really well too. Currently, In my base OS binding key-set, the jump/space button that sits to the left of the base of my left pinky finger is set to delete, and the t and g keys in the gaming area are set to page up and page down respectively; they work almost like a rocker switch under my left pinky.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • I have the G15 from Logitech.

It was a present, so I spent £0 on it, which is great. I've come to love the quick macro keys on the side. I don't get massive amounts of usage out of the LCD screen though.
  • I have a laptop, and thus my keyboard is provided by Gateway. I, however, hope to one day purchase a wireless keyboard and mouse to aid in my FPS action.
  • I have a laptop, and thus my keyboard is provided by Gateway. I, however, hope to one day purchase a wireless keyboard and mouse to aid in my FPS action.
    If you need it doing easily, use wireless. If you need it doing properly, use wires. Interfaces, networking.
  • I don't really know how the W-key being slightly shifted to the left is a problem. I usually (even more so when I'm playing something like CS:S) have the keyboard slightly to the right a little bit, and it's also more comfortable that way, at least for me.