This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

edited January 2008 in Video Games
It's out. It's done. Do you guys have the game? What are your opinions of the new setting, tone, and mechanics?

Also, this question is going to be inevitable: Who's your favorite CO?

Comments

• I've played a little into it, and so far I like it. I'm not quite at the point where the CO I'm using matters yet so I don't have a favorite. I like the setting & tone, but then I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff anyway.

I'm glad they've gone back and changed/added some units from the very beginning as well, instead of just keeping the same lineup from the other Advance Wars games and just tacking on a few new, relatively late-game units as before. I liked those games and their units, but since this new story and environment has started, it's good to see the arsenal shaken up a little too.
  • The campaign's story is actually quite a bit more intriguing than the past Advance Wars games. The improvement actually made me smile.
  • well I've been playing advance wars and i'm 10 levels in, and i got to say it's pretty neat. some of the new changes have been for the better such as the design room. before you could only have 3 maps to design and create, this you now have 50 slots. Also you probably already know you can download maps from wifi or you can upload them. the gay thing is if you're going to download you have to reconnect after every map.
    they have 8 new units, but some of those are just old units that are toned down or have another ability. such as the rig, basically it's an apc but it can build temporary building. these building can only supply and repair units but not build units.
    i am not sure about co power as i have not used them yet, but reading the description there doesn't seem to be a SUPER co power, just a normal co power. so basically you can't turn the whole game around on to your opponent.
  • edited January 2008
    I picked it up yesterday, and I'm liking it so far. However, I breezed through the first 10 missions, getting mostly S's and A's, with a single C, and I get to mission 11, and I'm stuck. The difficulty level just jumped WAY up there. I like the new setting, and I either love the new battle animation style, or I hate it, I'm still not sure.

I sure am glad I didn't pre-order this from Amazon. ;)
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • It's time to trade in the Pogeymans Diamond and put the revenue toward Advance Wars. Children of Mana's getting chucked, too.
  • Oh, Honestly..
  • Oh, Honestly..
    European Release FTL.

Damn, though. I'm at Mission 20, and the story is really...depressing! ESPECIALLY for an Advance Wars game! Still, I'm loving the mechanics, so it's all good.
  • edited January 2008
    I really like the new story. It was a good thing that they scrapped the old co's too, as the old ones weren't working so well together anymore. The upgraded and new units are awesome as well.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I almost finished the game, and I'd have to say...this game has become my favorite Advance Wars since 1.
  • edited January 2008
    For all the title, a good deal of the script for the PAL version seems to be more accurate to the JP script than the European version was if Wiki is anything to go by.

And besides that, it's not as if the JP version had some "cool" anime-like sub title, it's just Famicom Wars DS 2.

Anyway, got it this afternoon, 7 chapters in my rankings are starting to thin out towords the C's but as long as I don't have an utter bastard of a mission involving having more captures than the opponent, I think I can live without throwing my DS.

Fucking Blizard Battle, my 14 year old self hates you and your santa look-a-like CO powers.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • I just picked this up on the way into work. Only $30 at Walmart (was $35 at Gamestop next door!)

Did this start out on the NES?
  • edited January 2008
    Did this start out on the NES?
    Yes.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2008
    quick update: Ch.8 cleared but it took 42 days...

Is that good for a relative newbie of AW considering that it's the first one where both you and your enemy have factories?
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • What was the game for the super Nintendo that played like this?
    Super Famicom Wars?
    Super Famicom Wars?
    I thought about that but this one was released in the US, pre 1994.
  • You're not thinking of Cannon Fodderby any chance, are you?
  • It was a two-player game. I think one side was USA and the other was USSR.

You played top down (like chit based war games). It played similar to Military Madness but was set on Earth.
  • There was, however, a NES game released here in the US that played like an AW game. I think it was called "Desert Wars," or "Desert Command," or something. I have a copy of it somewhere, so I'll update with the name if I see it before I go to work.
  • There was, however, a NES game released here in the US that played like an AW game. I think it was called "Desert Wars," or "Desert Command," or something. I have a copy of it somewhere, so I'll update with the name if I see it before I go to work.
    I'm fairly confident that game was just a translation of the original Famicom Wars.
  • That game was pretty sweet. I haven't played that game in well over ten years. I might have to break out my NES this weekend, if I get a weekend, that is.
    That may just be it. We played the hell out of that thing in the barracks.
  • edited January 2008
    "Desert Commander" was released for the NES in June of 1989. The original Japanese title was "Sabaku no Kitsune," and it was release in Japan on April 28th, 1988.

Sabaku no Kitsune:

Desert Commander:

And, gameplay video of Desert Commander can be found here.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Just play Advance Wars! XD
  • Desert Commander it was!

I am up to mission 6 on Days of Ruin and this game kicks ass! THIS is the sort of game I love.
  • Desert Commander it was!

I am up to mission 6 on Days of Ruin and this game kicks ass! THIS is the sort of game I love.
    ISN'T IT? Something other than Pokemon, eh?

Wow, if you're being this enthusiastic about the game on Mission 6, you're going to LOVE the rest of the game.
  • Bought it today never having played Advance Wars. I heard Field Commander for the PSP, which I fucking LOVED, was a total knock off, so I grabbed Days of Ruin, which is pretty cool. The main kid is super dumb, but overall, yeah, it's cool.
  • edited January 2008
    I don't just play Pokemon. Lately I have been Animal Crossings bitch... Damn you Tom Nook and your mortgages!!!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I don't just play Pokemon. LatelyIhave been Animal Crossings bitch... Damn you Tom Nook and your mortgages!!!
    Haha that's awesome. I stopped playing last year around the end of March. I tried going back to playing again and rewinding my clock, but when I started playing I realized I honestly couldn't keep up with all the time that I would need to invest in keeping up my town. I then shut it off and haven't turned it on since.

It makes me kinda sad because I never got the final upgraded Tom Nook store.

Steve, if you don't know already, the turnip market and fishing are the best ways to pay off your mortgage. I remember I once made a profit of 700,000 bells from selling the turnips to Tom Nook.

• Steve, if you don't know already, the turnip market and fishing are the best ways to pay off your mortgage. I remember I once made a profit of 700,000 bells from selling the turnips to Tom Nook.
    I thought about getting into turnips, do they sprout up like fruit? right now I have over 100 foreign fruit trees and every three days I cash them in for 150,000+ bells. My house has two extra rooms and I'm just under 150,000 bells from paying off my current mortgage and getting the next room.

My daughter also has the game so we run back and forth across towns for fun. Sadly, all my good characters keep moving to her town and she makes sure to write letters and visit those folks so they will never leave her town!

I also make sure to build a good snowman every day to get the snowman items. Each one is worth 8,888 to Tom Nook but I almost have the complete collection.

I think I only need about five more fossils to complete the museum exhibit. I have done the fishing thing but I mostly caught cheap fish. Coconuts are a waste because each tree only bears two of them!

I tried loading up my bank account and jumping ahead a few years to rake in the interest but it was not worth it. I would end up spending the next hour pulling weeds!