This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Miniatures

Comments

• I'd get into FoW, except all the neckbearded grognards I've ever met who play it are the type of armchair generals who will refuse a pickup match if you use ochre instead of burnt umber when painting the canteens of your Polish infantry regiment.
    I'll just point to the relevant SA thread title.

"Historicals: That's not the proper green for German tanks in July of 1942"
    Eeyup.

• edited April 2012
    It would not surprise me to learn that the Kanteen Kommissars are also ArmA2 Aficionados.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Test time! What is this?
    A) Its a tank!
    B) Thats a Tiger Tank!
    C) Actually, Its a Russian T34/85 made to look like a Tiger. Dam Hollywood!
  • I'm positive you'll tell me the answer is C, but I did recognize it as a Tiger. :3
  • Yeah, that's the "Tiger" from Saving Private Ryan.
  • edited April 2012
    The beauty of 40k is the used market.
    Yeah, I pretty much understand that the used market is key in 40k, except for the fact that you'd have to deal with removing paint from old miniatures, having an army that you didn't customize yourself, and/or getting poorly kept products that have no guarantee of quality. I remember doing a ton of research on 40k armies, and I could get the most basic 500-1500 point army for $200, which is the bare minimum. I was able to get a full 35 point army in Warmachine for the same price, new, which is a plus to me.

Also, the bane of my local 40k metagame is that the old units just aren't powerful enough to compete with the newer units that are coming out. Everyone had incredibly similar armies, and the victor seemed to be determined by the time deployment was finished.

As a game, I definitely think that Warmachine is more dynamic and interesting than 40k, but that is just my personal opinion.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited April 2012
    The beauty of 40k is the used market.
    Yeah, I pretty much understand that the used market is key in 40k, except for the fact that you'd have to deal with removing paint from old miniatures, having an army that you didn't customize yourself, and/or getting poorly kept products that have no guarantee of quality. I remember doing a ton of research on 40k armies, and I could get the most basic 500-1500 point army for $200, which is the bare minimum. I was able to get a full 35 point army in Warmachine for the same price, new, which is a plus to me.
    Or go on eBay and buy out-of-box sprues for 50% of their MSRP.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Intriguing. What tips you off as it being a T34?

Also, I've wanted to play FoW but don't think there's a big FoW group near me. So instead I got into 40k.
  • But the game itself doesn't seem that fun to me, the power creep is a big problem, and it seems like one or two races dominate the entire metagame right now. Also, "the victor seemed to be determined by the time deployment was finished".
  • But the game itself doesn't seem that fun to me, the power creep is a big problem, and it seems like one or two races dominate the entire metagame right now. Also, "the victor seemed to be determined by the time deployment was finished".
    If you're playing 40k to win and have a competitive game, I think you may have the wrong game. The people I know who love 40k love it for the stupidly crazy space zombie pope with ultra soldiers and a limitless supply of tanks versus space elves and Orks. Oh yeah, and there's a unit that blows up tanks with rock and roll.

Maybe 6th edition will change something, but I'm doubtful. I hear FoW and various other systems are better though. I tried Hordes at PAX East and thought it was stupid, slow, and boring though.

• edited April 2012
    Also, do you guys happen to know if Warmachine (Privateer Press) has any presence at PAX Prime/East? I highly doubt it, but it'd be nice to know if they were there in some form.

Edit: Well, there's that! You answered my question before I even asked it! Hordes uses different mechanics than Warmachine, and I've never actually played it myself. Still, I like that you actually have special abilities to employ in-game, with spells flying everywhere and abilities you can activate on the spot.

Also, the unit cards are incredibly convenient. I hated lugging around a codex, constantly rifling through it and having to constantly keep looking through various charts to figure anything out.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited April 2012
    Of course. Gabe is a huge warmachine player and they have a tournament I think.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited April 2012
    Oh yeah, and there's a unit that blows up tanks with rock and roll.

(Which lead to this.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What powers/abilities does that guy have? It looks pretty cool.
  • Don't know, it's not official - it's a conversion that won silver at the golden Demons in Chicago, 09.
  • Ah, that's too bad. I thought he was the unit that Squadron was referencing.
  • Nah, he's propably talking about the figures that fall into the rough category of Goff Rokkers, an old set of ork models that fit that rough description, from the Goff clan. They're not made anymore(If they were ever official in the first place), but there is still some kitbashing to make them around, and I think that you can find them in some codexes, but they might be old ones. This is the closest I could find to any rules for them.
  • Noise Marines are what sROE's refererencing. They're Chaos units.
  • edited April 2012
    Noise Marines are what sROE's refererencing. They're Chaos units.
    I thought of that, But they don't really use Rock and Roll, they use either Sonic weapons which are just putting out single(though adjustable) sound frequencies, or in the case of the doom siren, amplifying war cries into a sonic attack.

Edit - I can see where you're coming from, though, since the noise marine weapons were "inspired" by a concert that turned into a murder orgy thanks to the music.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I vaguely remember, in the old 2nd edition Codex Chaos, that they still said that the Noise Marines were actually playing music, just horribly discordant, maddness enducing music (but the Great Unclean ones really liked it).
  • edited April 2012
    I vaguely remember, in the old 2nd edition Codex Chaos, that they still said that the Noise Marines were actually playing music, just horribly discordant, maddness enducing music (but the Great Unclean ones really liked it).
    I don't recall, it was a little before my time, in Warhammer terms. I only really got into it somewhere between the third edition first codex and second codex.

Side note - I play with an Emperor's childeren skin when I'm playing Chaos multiplayer in Spash maureen. Though, I don't play with the champion skin, as it simply wasn't visually offensive enough. In fact, I'm thinking of modifying the EC skin to make it as visually offensive as possible, just because I can. Fuck it, it's chaos - I WANT to play it ugly as possible. It's not enough to shoot them, I want to actively troll my opponent's eyeballs.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Intriguing. What tips you off as it being a T34?
    It's like half as wide as it should be.
  • Sketchbook, can you make us a revolting Eldritch Horror Emperor's Children skin for Spess Mehrine, as Churba suggested? You're good with the skins and the models and the 3D and the glavin.
  • Yeah, I can probably manage that. You want it on the Spess Marine model or do you want a custom marine? Extracting the marine might be tough, but making a custom one will be time consuming.

Optimally, a proper chaos marine's texture should be animated, swirling chaotically across or under the surface, occasionally seeming to fall away into an endless void of screaming faces. But that might be a little much on the processor draw. A discordant combination of specular and normal maps could probably pull of something pretty eye-watering if combined with a good dazzle pattern.

Also, Churba, if you want to troll people properly as a noise marine, I suggest you pipe in some terrible music over the microphone at all times. Fortunately, I can provide that, too.
  • Custom, I suppose. Whatever the case, we must please the Great Slaanesh, whose gutteral orgasmic wails render entire worlds of women barren.
  • edited April 2012
    Sketchbook, can you make us a revolting Eldritch Horror Emperor's Children skin for Spess Mehrine, as Churba suggested? You're good with the skins and the models and the 3D and the glavin.
    Well, there is already the pretty damned good custom painter built into the game, I can start there. I should have a screenshot example by the end of tonight. From there, I can take suggestions, and also give sketchbook a starting point - because not only do I see it, if I do it that way, unlike modding in a custom skin, every other poor bastard can see it.

Cheerfully offensive is definitely a nice change from the usual grimdark you see in the game.

Also, I really nice touch from that - it's not just colour codes or colour names, when you pick colours, they actually call the colours by their Cidatel paint names, so if you want matching Miniatures, you already know what colour everything has to be.

Finally, that song? 100% Slaanesh approved.

Post edited by Churba on
  • As promised, the schemes:

Regular Emperor's childeren, From the front, and From the back.

Two Clashing Colours, which is really three - Tentacle pink, Scorpion green, and Firey orange - Front and Back.

And now the "As much clashing as possible" scheme, Front and Back.
  • Wow Churba that's ... impressive. I'm colorblind and that still makes my eyes hurt.
  • Yes, I was referring to Noise Marines. Though Orks is da killiest, too. I've been thinking about playing some more Space Marine, but tonight I'm going to dedicate to assembling my Imperial Guard bodies. I have 2 boxes of guardsmen, some heavy weapons dudes, a command squad and a couple of sentinels. Even with all that I won't have a fieldable army..

Part of me is just thinking about buying a TON of conscript squads.