This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Miniatures

Comments

• Yes, I was referring to Noise Marines. Though Orks is da killiest, too. I've been thinking about playing some more Space Marine, but tonight I'm going to dedicate to assembling my Imperial Guard bodies. I have 2 boxes of guardsmen, some heavy weapons dudes, a command squad and a couple of sentinels. Even with all that I won't have a fieldable army..

Part of me is just thinking about buying a TON of conscript squads.
    I have a whole mess of assembled and base-coated Catechans I have no use for. Something like 40 guys. If you promise to actually use them at some point I'll send you what i have.

• The problem is that I love the lore, and I love painting, but I have almost zero interest in playing.
  • I've always found 40k combat to be a bit...dull. There was never enough room to actually maneuver and it just seemed crowded. Not to mention that some of the special rules are horribly unbalanced and broken.
  • Yes, I was referring to Noise Marines. Though Orks is da killiest, too. I've been thinking about playing some more Space Marine, but tonight I'm going to dedicate to assembling my Imperial Guard bodies. I have 2 boxes of guardsmen, some heavy weapons dudes, a command squad and a couple of sentinels. Even with all that I won't have a fieldable army..

Part of me is just thinking about buying a TON of conscript squads.
    I have a whole mess of assembled and base-coated Catechans I have no use for. Something like 40 guys. If you promise to actually use them at some point I'll send you what i have.

That'd be awesome. I'll catalog what I've got tonight and will let you know.
  • I've always found 40k combat to be a bit...dull. There was never enough room to actually maneuver and it just seemed crowded. Not to mention that some of the special rules are horribly unbalanced and broken.
    True that. Especially if you want to play Orcs nowdays, who were often hit and miss before, but still fearsome, but are now pretty much just comic relief.

Agreed. I still like the lore and the fact that it is popular enough to find players for in my miniscule community is a good thing for me.

I think there are far better systems out there, though.
  • I barely ever get to play 40k any more but I don't want to because I love the fluff.

For my money it's the best fluff of any of the miniature games commonly played & it's unquestionably the best supported in terms of novels and other supplementary materiel.

Plus It's popular enough that i can find a game anywhere.

I'd love to get into another minis game, but I don't know if there are any out there with fluff i can get into and a player base large enough that i can find a game without having to set an appointment beforehand. A game where a game takes less than 2 hours would be nice.
  • edited April 2012
    The problem is that I love the lore, and I love painting, but I have almost zero interest in playing.
    You need to play with DOOMRIDER.

Also, The Emperor's Mardi Gras has another member. FRONT (or back, I can't tell any more) and BACK (or front, I can't tell any more).
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Gosh, that is gross. I dunno if I can top that!

Personally, I play Imperial Guard. My favourite part of the hobby is painting and converting, so I basically just have about four hundred little redcoats with officers on horses, guys in kilts, and tanks converted with steam engines.
  • Gosh, that is gross. I dunno if I can top that!
    It was actually surprisingly difficult to come up with something appropriately horrific. MARDI GRAS MARINES! TITS FOR THE TITS GOD, PLASTIC BEADS FOR THE PLASTIC BEAD THRONE!
  • edited April 2012
    imageBEAAAAAAAAAADS.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited April 2012
    SLAANESH WILL BE PLEASED BY THIS OFFERING.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2012
    I've always found 40k combat to be a bit...dull. There was never enough room to actually maneuver and it just seemed crowded. Not to mention that some of the special rules are horribly unbalanced and broken.
    Which is generally why I liked Warmachine's combat more. You may have less units to deal with at once, but you can do a lt more with them, and you have a lot more maneuverability. The game generally feels more dynamic to me, and it seems to be a lot more interesting to spectate. I also like that smaller 15 point games can be just as intense as larger 35 point games, but can be finished in about an hour.

Can't say too much about the lore of WM, but It definitely isn't as well known as 40k's (and probably not as chaotic). 40k is definitely bigger in my area, which compelled me to look into the game, but I just couldn't do it.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Comparing 40k to WM, I agree that WM's combat definitely seems more dynamic while 40k has an amazing universe and backstory. The problem with 40k is that nothing ever happens; nothing ever changes. They have this great story and universe and it's locked in time.

WM might not have as robust or as interesting a backstory, but at least things progress somewhat. I thought the introduction of "Epic" casters into WM was a great idea to push the game's meta story forward.
  • More cool historicals!! 28mm
  • When are 3d printed miniatures going to be a thing? It would push me (even more than it already is) to buy a 3d printer.
  • The X-Wing Miniatures game is a lot of fun. I'd never played Wings of War, which apparently it draws a lot of inspiration from, so all the little things it does differently from the mini games I know (Warhammer, Warzone, etc.), I was really impressed by.

It does dogfighting really well. Simultaneous action selection using hidden wheel. Movement via templates and combat using a single universal range template and D8 attack-versus-defense rolls.

Squad-building is very nice b/c you get a ship w/ standard point value and movement abilities, but supplement it with a specific pilot that sets the majority of your ship's actual stats. Also can add upgrades if you have leftover points. VERY easy to build out your squad.

The models are fucking gorgeous and the bases have some excellent functional touches. When two ships touch on the table, you can adjust the stand height so they can both exist in 3D space. You also get a small stat card to put under the base that reminds your of key numbers (initiative, attack, defense, hull values, etc.). There are also little clips to hold reminders such as ship ID, target lock status chits, etc.

Less than $30 on Amazon for a 3-ship starter set that you can get several hours of fun play from w/o an urge to expand.

I could go on but I have almost no complaints, aside from the fact that it's going to be a money sink moving forward. $15 for each new ship (with a pack of pilot & upgrade cards). There are also bigger (more expensive) ships coming that are going to expand the core rules and come with a lot more than just the ship in the box, so hopefully it doesn't bog the system down.
  • I would do the X-Wing miniatures game if it was not collectible.
  • edited October 2012
    I would never play it if it were collectible like HeroClix, with random minis in a box, but I have no problem buying a small selection of models for this just to play around with a few friends and scratch the miniatures gaming itch. In earlier life I wasted way too much money on stuff like Warhammer and wound up rarely getting to play.

With X-Wing, I can get enough models for two people to play over and over again with varied squads for $100 or less. It was very easy to get to the table, so I think I'll actually use this stuff this time around. The game plays FAST. We sat down at 4:30, having never opened the box, read the full rules and played 3 difference scenarios with the small starter set squads by 7:00.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I would do the X-Wing miniatures game if it was not collectible.
    This is the same issue I have with DUST Tactics.

• X-Wing regionals start for me on Saturday w/ a tournament down in south Jersey. Hoping to get to two more in June, one close by in NYC, the other one about 90 min away down the shore.

After practicing with my sparring partner a bunch last month and just experimenting with stuff, I've gotten into final squad-building mode and am hopelessly addicted. I've read about all there is to read as far as forum chatter and conventional wisdom goes, yet there are definitely strategies I'm seeing that nobody is talking about.

Very interested to see if my tricks will be enough to counter TIE fighter cheese and loaded-up Han Solos that everyone else is flying. Am I still the only X-Wing player on this forum?
  • I'm running a DnD campaign for some friends, and would want to know where to get a cheap basic set of miniatures to use, like 1 of each race/class combo and some basic monsters.
  • Do you need them to be official DnD miniatures or do you just want cheap stuff that you feel can represent the classes/monsters?
  • Just need something that is a decent representation that hopefully looks nice enough, I have no problem with painting them myself, in fact, I'd welcome the idea.
  • Mega Minis sells some pretty cheap generic stuff, and they're closing down at the end of the month, so maybe you can get some deals?
  • Back in the RIT days everyone would get reaper miniatures since they had all sorts of generic fantasy stuff, and were cheaper than the WotC stuff. Also, I think Reaper makes the Pathfinder minis now, which is really just D&D anyway.
  • Yeah, I've been eyeing the "bones" sets.
  • edited May 2013
    Best deal is usually finding someone getting "out" of the hobby, but that takes more work on your part.

Personal totally useful things:

http://fierydragon.com/dragonsbreath/?cat=10

I have all three sets. They are handy for showing mooks, mounts, slight variations in creatures, and anything that occupies the same space as a player. And it's way cheaper and more compact than the same amount of miniatures.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Reaper makes good miniatures, but not if you like the weirder races like I do. XDDD
    I guess you could just paint the miniature to look like a weirder race, but I'm way too unskilled for that.