This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

South Carolina Open Primary

edited January 2008 in Politics
I'm at a loss here. How is South Carolina insuring no one votes in both primaries when it has open primaries on two different dates?

Do we have a forum member who lives there?

old USA Today article

Comments

• Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote? It's really two elections anyway.
  • Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote? It's really two elections anyway.
    The problem is that you can vote in the opposing party primary and effectively nullify the votes of party members.

McCain won the Republican one a few days ago and the Democrat one could be invaded by Republicans and Independents to totally screw it all up. The point of a primary is for the party to pick who they want, it's not a general election!

When both primaries are held on the same day you either hand the person a Republican ballot or a Democrat ballot.
  • Guess that wasn't too smart. Who planned this one out?
  • Wow! Looks like Obama slaughtered in the primary with 55% of the vote. Clinton was in second with 27% and Edwards got 18%.
  • Logically, if I was of voting age in South Carolina I would vote for the best candidate in the party I generally support and I would also go to the generally opposing party and vote for the least electable candidate.
  • Well, it didn't turn out too bad, did it? I guess it worked out alright then.