This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080131 - GeekHaus

Comments

• book that you don't care about getting waterlogged from the shower!
    I don't understand this. Please explain. I keep several books in and on a shelving unit I've added to the bathroom. They don't get seem to have any moisture related wear and tear that I can see. They are still in good condition, and I tend to rotate various books, magazines, and manga on these shelves.
    Why can't you just sit there and think? I don't take long enough to be bored
    There will be times where you can be on the pot for a long time. Just sitting there and thinking is boring to me. Sure there are a lot of things I can think about, but I would just like to take this moment during my day to be entertained by reading something or playing a quick game on the DS.
  • I don't understand this. Please explain. I keep several books in and on a shelving unit I've added to the bathroom. They don't get seem to have any moisture related wear and tear that I can see. They are still in good condition, and I tend to rotate various books, magazines, and manga on these shelves.
    Do you take incredibly hot steamy showers that get the whole bathroom all humid and such? That humidity will kill the books making them curl, or worse. Humidity is paper's worst enemy.
    There will be times where you can be on the pot for a long time.
    If you're there for a long time, you have a problem.
  • Do you take incredibly hot steamy showers that get the whole bathroom all humid and such? That humidity will kill the books making them curl, or worse. Humidity is paper's worst enemy.
    Yes, which is why you have the vent fan on when you take a shower as well as you keep it on for a good hour after you take a shower. I understand that humidity is paper's worst enemy, however from my own experiences I've yet to see any of the books I've kept in the bathroom for a prolonged period of time take any of these damages.
    If you're there for a long time, you have a problem.
    Can you honestly say that you've never had a bowel movement that took a long time? It is something fairly common that happens to people. Constipation happens to people.

I'll finish with this. Pooping is a normal mundane almost everyday thing. You can compare it to waiting in line or going on the commuter train. What do you do during these moments? You entertain yourself by whatever which way you can. Even though waiting and line or going on the train can be longer than a bowel movement, I still try to consume as much entertainment as I can during these mundane moments in my life.
  • Can you honestly say that you've never had a bowel movement that took a long time? It is something fairly common that happens to people. Constipation happens to people.
    No, no constipation here. Eat some fiber. The only time it takes a long time for me to poop is if there is some diahrrea type action.
  • Has anyone else here noticed bright red blood in the toilet after they're finished?
  • edited September 2008
    No, no constipation here. Eat some fiber. The only time it takes a long time for me to poop is if there is some diahrrea type action.
    Good for you Scott. I hope you never have to experience constipation. But you also agree that there are times where you can be on the pot for a long period of time. ^_~
    Has anyone else here noticed bright red blood in the toilet after they're finished?
    Joe, WTF?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Constipation happens to people.
    People are also idiots. :) Just eat a proper amount of fibers and take in enough liquid. Vegetables are great for that. Personally I don't understand how people can take long on the toilet. I go in, do what I need, and leave 30 seconds or 2 minutes later depending on which course I took. And then I have to wash my hands in the bathroom.
  • People are also idiots.
    Or people can possibly have problems in their digestive tracts. NOT ALL people have normal bowel movements.

Being a medical biller, I've read numerous medical notes about people and their medical problems with their digestive tracts and bowel movements. Plus when you get older, you are more susceptible to having problems in your digestive system.
  • Has anyone else here noticed bright red blood in the toilet after they're finished?
    Joe, WTF?
    It happens every now and then. Sometimes the blood will be black and gunky, like old motor oil. Most of the time, however, it's really bright red.
  • It happens every now and then. Sometimes the blood will be black and gunky, like old motor oil. Most of the time, however, it's really bright red.
    Go see a doctor. Perhaps get a sigmoidoscopy. You're around that age where doing those sort of screenings should happen annually, correct?
  • I only said that people are idiots. :p And you understand my point, the majority of people with pooping problems are complete idiots and don't know they only have to life healthier.
  • Sometimes the blood will be black and gunky, like old motor oil.
    That's a sign of GERD or stomach ulcers.
    Most of the time, however, it's really bright red.
    That's indicative of much more common and less worrisome problems.
  • edited September 2008
    And you understand my point, the majority of people with pooping problems are complete idiots and don't know they only have to life healthier.
    Ok, I will contend to that, however there are people who do live healthy lives and get things like colitis or Crohn's disease that can just happen. My best friend, who has a very healthy lifestyle, started having digestive problems a few years ago. She had to constantly go see the doctor, then one day her appendix ruptured, then she had to have a resection to her small intestine. She has Crohn's and has to abide by a fairly specific diet or she pays the price.
  • I am seriously curious now: Exactly how long does it take you all to do your business? I think that 5-minutes is seriously the longest that I have ever taken. Do some of you run to the can the very second that you feel the poop tingle in your bowels?

I wonder if it is more of a male thing. I don't know any women who take a long time to poop, whereas on the other hand, I know quite a few men who do (unfortunately). But then again, it's not something that I have really researched or asked about...

Fiber is win. There are some pretty decent tasting breakfast cereals that have a high fiber content. It's actually pretty hard to get the recommended amount of fiber in your diet.
  • edited September 2008
    I am seriously curious now: Exactly how long does it take you all to do your business?
    Due to certain medical conditions, it takes me on average 3-4 minutes. During the work week, my poop schedule has me pooping during business hours, which I hate. I don't like pooping when there are other people in the bathroom. I courtesy flush like a mofo' and spray air freshener so I don't offend. I honestly have to force it out because I don't like being in there long at work.

However, when at home, I'm in there for at least 5 minutes. Sometimes longer because I'll be too enthralled with reading or something.

(Edit: I've just realized that I'm like the poop talking fanatic. I don't really mean to be. It's not that I'm enthralled with talking about poop, it's just that when it comes to this subject, I'm not embarrassed or ashamed to talk about it. ^^;;)
  • I've just realized that I'm like the poop talking fanatic.
    Poop Report. I've been reading it for years. You're like a kindred spirit.
  • And you understand my point, the majority of people with pooping problems are complete idiots and don't know they only have to life healthier.
    Ok, I will contend to that, however there are people who do live healthy lives and get things like colitis orCrohn's diseasecan just happen.
    My wife has Crohn's disease even though all through her life before she was diagnosed, she was always careful to eat very healthy. I, on the other hand, eat stuff that would make a goat nauseous, and I can pass a brick.
  • It usually takes me around 5 minutes to evacuate my bowels, but that's because I make damn sure that everything is gone.
  • I take anywhere from 1 - 5 minutes. Sometimes it's out like a shot, sometimes it takes a little more effort. I have the odd 10-minute bathroom excursion, but that's usually because I'm busy reading and not pooping.
  • I I have the odd 10-minute bathroom excursion, but that's usually because I'm busy reading and not pooping.
    Less reading, more pooping!
  • Why the hell are you guys spending so much time debating on poop and bathroom reading material?!

Can we talk some more about those tables that come down from the ceiling? Or maybe hidden rooms?
  • Why the hell are you guys spending so much time debating on poop and bathroom reading material?!

Can we talk some more about those tables that come down from the ceiling? Or maybe hidden rooms?
    Thank you! Finally someone who isn't morbidly interested in scatological or urine related things! What would your Geekhaus look like, if I may ask?
  • edited September 2008
    In an awesome world, it would be a holodeck.
    In the realworld, according to my 13 year old, star trek loving self, it would look like this: PPS (Power Point Slide Show)

Apparently, I was quite dapper at Power Point back then. Unfortunately, it appears that it never occurred to my 12 year old self that underground houses and shores don't mix very well.

In the real world, according to my present self, My dream house would be, actually two houses.

1. A nicely furnished penthouse in a high-rise building, complete with jacuzzi, arcade room, library, server room, guest rooms (with gaming rigs in each), a recording studio, wetbar, and helipad.

2. Renovated Military missile base on about 100 acres of land:

12 car garage on the surface facing a replica of the top gear racing track
    helipad and private landing strip,
    dual exterior walls with automated turrets on each fail-safed with battery backups
    Guest houses completely furnished with Big screen LCD TV's, Falcon NW gaming rigs, and four slice toasters. Each house would get two go karts.
    Master Home would have all the same rooms as the penthouse, but with additional guest rooms, a large dining hall, a bigger bar, a billards room, a small bowling alley, a small movie theater, an indoor pool, and an outdoor pool.
    On site emergency care services.
    On site Deep Crow exterminator.
    Underground (in the event of impending political stupidity on a global scale) would be furnished guest quarters, THE server room, underground workshop for building robots (or robot cars), A large cargo elevator the size of the missile silo (for cars, emergency helicopter landing, etc), gaming rooms, etc...
    A field of massive solar dishes to generate power.
    Fiber Optic connection to a major backbone
    Backup satellite connection.

Perfectly reasonable, right?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • guest rooms (with gaming rigs in each)
    That's pretty silly. If you want gaming rigs, they should all be in one room for LAN party action. For Internetting around the house, just have stacks of netbooks lying around. Then people can grab one anytime they need it. The guest rooms can just have little desks in there.
  • Well, there's gonna be lan party rooms in the master house, above ground, and below ground. But changing over the towers for small notebooks is a much better idea. Okay then, IBM...Erm, Lenovo Think Pads in house and guest room.
    Now here's the question: Under the assumption that the complex's computer systems will be based on a mainframe/terminal type architecture (for the exception of the gaming rigs, environmental controls, entertainment center, etc) should they run linux or windows?
  • Sometimes the blood will be black and gunky, like old motor oil.
    That's a sign of GERD or stomach ulcers.
    Yeah, I have both of those. I'm hoarding Prilosec in case of apocalypse. When I run out, I'll just have to hang tough.
    Most of the time, however, it's really bright red.
    That's indicative of much more common and less worrisome problems.
    It's probably from the hemorrhoids. Good job diagnosing!

• 2. Renovated Military missile base on about 100 acres of land:
    You can pick these up really cheap in former Eastern Block countries. I know a few people who now have very, very large houses. Except when you buy them they aren't renovated.
  • Yeah, I know. But I'd rather it be here in the US. That's where most FRC forum members and my friends live. I plan on it being a mecca of geekdom.
  • Yeah, I know. But I'd rather it be here in the US. That's where most FRC forum members and my friends live. I plan on it being a mecca of geekdom.
    More reason to put in in East Europe and make it look like a Combine base.
    Joe, WTF?
    It happens every now and then. Sometimes the blood will be black and gunky, like old motor oil. Most of the time, however, it's really bright red.
    It can be anything from a fissure (particularly if you have recently had bulky, hard, or large bowel movements) to a major medical issue. Contact your doctor, they will probably have to do a rectal exam to rule out certain options and determine if a colonoscopy is necessary. Yeah, I know way too much about poop, but between major physical trauma, chemo, and IBS - I have learned a lot about poop.