This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080131 - GeekHaus

124»

Comments

• Yeah, I know. But I'd rather it be here in the US. That's where most FRC forum members and my friends live. I plan on it being a mecca of geekdom.
    More reason to put in in East Europe and make it look like a Combine base.
    No Way, I want people to enjoy being there. The last thing I want is a bunch of caffinated geeks running around the complex with crowbars because they have this ingrained fear that a head crab is gonna jump out at them.
  • Yeah, I know. But I'd rather it be here in the US. That's where most FRC forum members and my friends live. I plan on it being a mecca of geekdom.
    No Way, I want people to enjoy being there. The last thing I want is a bunch of caffinated geeks running around the complex with crowbars because they have this ingrained fear that a head crab is gonna jump out at them.
    BUT THAT'S COOL! :(
  • As I mentioned in some other thread, I'm working towards making my house into a Geekhaus. I've geeked out my room so far, and I'm slowly making plans for the rest of the place. Here's what I have to work with (by floor):

0. Basement. Low ceilings, washer/dryer, storage space, but floods a tad in winter
    1. First floor. Two "living rooms", with a variety of couches. Router is in one of these. Also, kitchen, entryway, a half-bathroom, and stairs.
    2. Second floor. Four bedrooms of varying sizes, with the staircase/hallway in the center. Bathroom.
    3. Attic. Pretty cool, but being used for storage space right now.

I'm not exactly sure what I should do with the two livingrooms. They're connected by a wide archway, and one is next to the kitchen. The other is next to the entryway.

Unfortunately, right now I'm on the "fixing and cleaning" stage. I finished the bathroom and kitchen, but there's still a lot of work to do. The people I live with right now are generic college-types, so they aren't the most tidy people in the world. By next year, when they move out, I'm going to get a bunch of geeky RIT-ers to join me. I think then we'll be able to truly geek it up. This year I'm just laying the groundwork: cleaning, making sure things work, arranging where things can go.

Any thoughts? (Also, I'll post pictures of my GeekRoom in a separate thread.
  • 0. Why does it flood? Make sure to get into the habit of putting your laundry above said flooding level. Less problems when dealing with the flooding.
    No ideas though, might be better to start geeking up all the rooms when the generics are out.
  • I only have anecdotal evidence from one of the housemates. I'll have to see what happens this winter. It's kind of hard to clean the house when surrounded by generic college people. I mean, really now. I'm 18, but I know more than some of these people how to live on my own. They just let food rot in the fridge. What the hell.

By the by, these people are all between 21 and 28.
    Are you crazy? Think about it for a second. You're walking down the hall, minding your own business when you approach a corner. All of a sudden your head is being smashed in by the business end of a crowbar because someone saw your shadow before they saw you and instincts kicked in. Sorry man, no combine base. Blood is just too hard to clean off of concrete.

Not that I'd know.

Shut up!
    Are you crazy? Think about it for a second. You're walking down the hall, minding your own business when you approach a corner. All of a sudden your head is being smashed in by the business end of a crowbar because someone saw your shadow before they saw you and instincts kicked in. Sorry man, no combine base. Blood is just too hard to clean off of concrete.

Not that I'd know.

Shut up!
    How else am I supposed to get rid of you and take over that base then?! D: You're such a killjoy.
  • Have you ever considered a hotel style house?

My idea would be a 2 story building in a rectangle shape. When you enter that main entrance you come to the open center where there will be TV's coaches and the like. along the perimeter will be the rooms. The rooms would include; living area, 1 or more bedrooms, a bathroom and what ever else one sees fit. These rooms will have doors that lock and will be a sanctuary for those times when one needs to be alone. On the second floor will be the kitchen that has everything that one can imagine, and a social eating area. You could also have conference rooms on the first or second floors.

Maybe make sure that there are open rooms that can fit guests, such as Rym's mom. These guest rooms can be much simpler.
    Maybe add some outdoor entertainment, such as a skating rink or a swimming pool.
  • I have. I'd love to own a big city hotel. Own, not manage.
  • Actually, "small apartment complex with common area" would be my ideal geekhaus. Each modular apartment connects to the outside, and there is a balcony and a porch. The common room would be big, have large windows and all the entertainment systems, with sumo bean bags and comfy couches. When we want to be together, we congregate in the great room. Otherwise, we can keep to ourselves. I can decorate how I want, keep things the way I want, and keep the kitchen organized. There would be an announcement system where you press a button on the intercom and you can say something to your friends in the other apartments. Dinners would often be potluck style, eaten together.

This combination of privacy and shared space was how international residence was. It was perfect for me.
  • The geekapt sounds just as awesome as the geekhaus. Plus you got a huge room to have cool parties and stuff.
  • This combination of privacy and shared space...
    That is exactly what I was going for and the balconies would be a great addition. But the reason I would have the great room on the inside is to cut down the natural lite that comes from having large widows. That way glare would be much easier to control. Though if you wanted to have the view you could do a separate structure that is lined with windows. This would be great for ping pong, Foosball, and even conferences during those cold months.