This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Tuesday! (My Super Bowl!)

edited February 2008 in Politics
So what are your predictions?

I foresee a potential upset in California by Obama and the south going in a big way for Obama, while Clinton pulls out marginal victories in New York and New Jersey and other Northern states.

I have to say one more thing, if it comes down to being a very close battle and the somehow Clinton gets Florida's delegates restored at the last minute to win, I'm going to be very very pissed.

Comments

• Barack's been surging in the polls just recently. I do predict, however, that neither he nor Hillary will have a clear majority. This primary is going to go on to the rest of the states.
  • Clinton will win more states than Obama. Obama, however, will win delegate rich black counties, making the delegate count much closer than the overall state count.

If there is a surprise, it will be that Hillary will do much better than the most recent polls suggest.
  • Yeah, it seems unlikely there will be a clear winner of the nomination today since the democrats don't do a winner take all system for primary delegates.
  • If everything ends in a stalemate for the democrats after this, I might change my party tomorrow, so I can vote in the PA primary.
  • edited February 2008
    It looks like my home state of Maryland will actually matter! It's amazing! Oh, and I think that Obama will win over all. He will be a much better candidate against McCain (because no body doubts that he won't win the Republican nomination) as they are on so far apart in views.
    I am so looking forward to voting next week! First time! Yay!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • On the way to the voting booth in Emeryville, CA, I saw plenty of people representing for Obama...not so many for Hillary.

Happy to be part of picking the first great President in a long time.

Go Obama!
  • hmmm.. Huckabee won the West Virginia Primary.

I wonder how many states in the south he will pry away from two front-runners?

Who would have guessed that the backwards state voted for the backwards candidate?
  • I have to say that primary voting was a whole lot easier then I expected it to be. I'm also apparently unaffiliated, which I didn't know I was.
  • WARNING: EXIT NUMBERS EARLY AND DO NOT REPRESENT ACTUAL VOTES:

OBAMA: Alabama: Obama 60, Clinton 37... Arizona: Obama 51, Clinton 45... Connecticut: Obama 53, Clinton 45... Delaware: Obama 56, Clinton 42... Georgia: Obama 75, Clinton 26... Illinois: Obama 70, Clinton 30... Massachusetts: Obama 50, Clinton 48... Missouri: Obama 50, Clinton 46... New Jersey: Obama 53, Clinton 47...

CLINTON: Arkansas: Clinton 72, Obama 26... California: Clinton 50, Obama 47... New York: Clinton 56, Obama 43... Oklahoma: Clinton 61, Obama 31... Tennessee: Clinton 52, Obama 41...
  • haha, that reminds me of the time I was watching some channel and they put up statistics in the single-digit range for exit poll voters, with a big title "Too close to call" & "Too early to call". The good news reporters just ignored it.

There may be some backroom deals going down between Huckabee and McCain. Romney had the most votes in the first go round and it has been said that McCain called his supporters and told them to switch over to Huckabee to keep Romney from winning. I think Huckabee's new job in the campaign is to run interference for McCain in regards to stopping Romney from getting votes.
  • Did you know? (I found this out last night)
    According to many talk-show pundits, a vote for Huckabee is considered a vote for McCain (due to Huckabee taking voters from Romnety)
    Apparently, Stephen Colbert is Huckabee's running mate: Therefore, a vote for Huckabee is also a vote for Colbert.
    Therefore, by the transitive property of "Huckabee" Stephen Colbert is John McCain. Take that, America.

Anyways, I'm seriously hoping for a large Obama victory, but I'm not sure and I think Hillary might end up a tiny bit ahead thanks to her superdelegates.
    Unfortunately, if McCain ends up running against Hillary, I'm willing to bet that most independents will end up going right anyways and we'll end up with a third Republican President.
    At which point I will, of course, move to Canada.
  • haha, that reminds me of the time I was watching some channel and they put up statistics in the single-digit range for exit poll voters, with a big title "Too close to call" & "Too early to call". The good news reporters just ignored it.
    I posted these so I could see how they would compare to the final tallies.
  • At which point I will, of course, move to Canada.
    How are you going to move to Canada when you still rely on your parent's allowance for computer upgrades? Nice hyperbole thar.
  • Obama seems to have won more, but smaller states.

Also, California has widely been called for Hillary. While she probably will end up winning, the margin at the time I write this (55-33) is probably not going to stay around, thankfully.
  • edited February 2008
    Score Tuesday for Hillary - barely. It's all about the delegates.

Still, it's nice to see a race that isn't over after Super Tuesday. Word is that Obama has the momentum and the major Latino states are done, so this really will be interesting. Expect lawsuits to start flying concerning Florida and Michigan if Obama edges out Clinton when it's all over.

Apparently few people in Massachusetts were swayed by Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Obama. Hillary took that state easily.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • At which point I will, of course, move to Canada.
    How are you going to move to Canada when you still rely on your parent's allowance for computer upgrades? Nice hyperbole thar.
    I'm growing more and more annoyed at the "moving to Canada" thing. No one is moving to Canada based on the results of an election.

Moving based on the country's slide into fascism and depravity is a little different (and Canada is not an optimal solution if you're worried about such things), but I still think there should be a moratorium on announcing your plans to move unless you have actually started to make serious plans.
  • edited February 2008
    Obama ahead??
    Wow. If that's true, things have changed since late last night.

Get ready to watch the Florida/Michigan lawsuits in a couple of months!
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Get ready to watch the Florida/Michigan lawsuits in a couple of months!
    Isn't it great how all of our national elections are decided in courtrooms now?
  • Isn't it great how all of our national elections are decided in courtrooms now?
    How else can they determine who has the most money?
  • Score Tuesday for Hillary - barely. It's all about the delegates.

Still, it's nice to see a race that isn't over after Super Tuesday. Word is that Obama has the momentum and the major Latino states are done, so this really will be interesting. Expect lawsuits to start flying concerning Florida and Michigan if Obama edges out Clinton when it's all over.

Apparently few people in Massachusetts were swayed by Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Obama. Hillary took that state easily.
    This, pretty much. H didn't get a clear-cut enough victory to knock Obama out, and he has an advantage in the next couple of states. She's at least neutralized a lot of Obama's momentum.

The worry is that this race is going to end up being really divisive within the party - not just in terms of "we might lose the White House in '08 because we didn't unite behind our candidate", but in terms of "major portions of the party might be extremely angry at the other part". Especially if it goes to a brokered convention, where the loser can portray his or her loss as a betrayal by the victor.
  • The worry is that this race is going to end up being really divisive within the party
    When do we put Hungryjoe on suicide watch?
  • Here is a great article on why Obama is looking so good.
  • edited February 2008
    When do we put Hungryjoe on suicide watch?
    Although I long for the comfort of the grave, I don't feel good enough to commit suicide.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • On the Canada note, come on. Most people aren't going to be moving out due to the election. On the other hand, with the idea that a worse agony will make your loss less painful, let's come up with a horrible movie/anime to watch. So, if wins, what's the most horrible movie/anime you could watch that will wash the pain of your loss from your frontal lobes? :)
  • Well my boyfriend and I just attended our state caucus. It was pretty interesting. From what I heard last time, only 5 people showed up. This time there were a few hundred people. It actually kinda exciting. Our precinct only had 4 delegates. Half went to Obama, the other two to Clinton. :/

I signed up as an alternate delegate.

Overall it was a pretty fun experience. There were so many different kinds of people there, from young to old, from white to black. People wearing Obama or Clinton stickers. It' s nerve racking to see how close this race is. I guess we'll find out who wins tonight.
  • Obama now has the lead! A slim lead, but a lead none-the-less.