This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advice on New Hardware

Okay, so the story here is this: For my birthday (which was in January) my parents have agreed to, if I want, upgrade some of the hardware in my crap-ass computer so it will become somewhat less craptacular. They are willing to spend up to $200 on equipment. I have decided that I will probably want either a new video card or a new processor, and I would appreciate your greater knowledge in these things. My current crap specs out at this:

Windows XP
3 Ghz Celeron processor
128 MB ASUS video card (NVidia 6600 chipset)
1GB RAM (by the way, all my RAM slots are currently filled)
200GB hard drive (I think)
1440 x 900 resolution monitor
(I forget exactly what the motherboard is, and I can't find the box right now)

My parents claim that the motherboard is compatible up to a Core Duo, but I'm slightly skeptical. As for what I'm using it for, I spend the majority of my time playing TF2 or Age of Empires 3, and I'm trying to learn Dwarf Fortress.
Thanks guys!

Comments

• Ubuntu = free. I'd probably go with a new processor over video card, if that's what you are looking for.
  • The video card is not great, but it's definitely enough for TF2 or AoE3. As for the CPU, it would be a decent upgrade, but you really have to check to make sure the motherboard is compatible. Give all the information you can about the motherboard, and use Google to find if a CPU upgrade is even possible.

Really, it looks to me like you are at the point where spending $200 to upgrade the PC isn't going to be a good investment. Just wait a bit, and then buy a new machine altogether. What you have is decent enough to last awhile.

Spend that $200 on video games.
  • *Cries inconsolably*