This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Anonymous" vs The Church of Scientology

13»

Comments

• 9000 people is small?
    Over 9000, actually. =\
    Also, keep in mind that most of people didn't actually expect ANYTHING to happen, thus, they didn't attend. March 15th will definitely show a larger turnout.
    I doubt it. There will probably be more non-*channers protesting, but much fewer people coordinating this through 4chan and 711chan. After the *channers do something, they don't really like to do it again.
  • Over 9000, actually. =\
    I've also read some reports on 7600 people. It's what you get when you count people by the hundreds. A lot of ranges of numbers in the turn outs for all locations.
  • Over 9000, actually. =\
    I've also read some reports on 7600 people. It's what you get when you count people by the hundreds. A lot of ranges of numbers in the turn outs for all locations.
    These reports didn't include a vast majority of the smaller, less populated cities. For example, I know there was a protest of 50 anons in my rinky-dinky city, but it wasn't counted in the total.
  • edited March 2008
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Rym and Scott, would you be interested in going to one of these protests? Either as participants or to interview people in the crowd?
  • Rym and Scott, would you be interested in going to one of these protests? Either as participants or to interview people in the crowd?
    When/where?
  • edited March 2008
    March 15, NYC. The Anonymous information thread for it is here.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Well, this is interesting.
    It is indeed. Now it has to spread like wild fire through the EU and then can catch on in other continents.
    Rym and Scott, would you be interested in going to one of these protests? Either as participants or to interview people in the crowd?
    That is a good idea. Though it might result in a huge influx of "OMG ROFL [derogatory bs]" here on the forums.
  • I have to say, even though I am VERY interested in this topic... I feel the that most of the listeners who would be interested in this topics already have all of the information that Rym and Scott would receive in the interview. A very small number of people will become interested in said cause that don't already know about it.

Although, I would imagine that Geeknights would receive more hits from non-listeners regarding this topic... but how many would stay as listeners, I have no idea.

So if you guys want more listeners for a single episode, this would definitely do the trick... but I don't know any of the other effects it would have.
  • It would really be worth it if we could interview some scientologists in addition to punk kids.
  • No scientologist would want to do an interview because people like us are their SP's. I guess that's the cost of being intelligent.
  • It would be hard to explain to them that you will not be there to mock them. The news sources that I saw trying to talk to them were asked politely to leave. They were not a known about news source and were not given the time of day.
    I personally didn't talk to them either. But I didn't have much to say.
  • edited March 2008
    I have to say, even though I am VERY interested in this topic... I feel the that most of the listeners who would be interested in this topics already have all of the information that Rym and Scott would receive in the interview. A very small number of people will become interested in said cause that don't already know about it.

Although, I would imagine that Geeknights would receive more hits from non-listeners regarding this topic... but how many would stay as listeners, I have no idea.

So if you guys want more listeners for a single episode, this would definitely do the trick... but I don't know any of the other effects it would have.
    The point isn't just to gain factual information about the issue - that's already available all over the internet. The interesting thing is learning about the attitudes and ideas of the protesters. For example, what got these individuals to care so greatly about Scientology? How is it that normally "apathetic" young people are out hitting the streets? What is the average person in Anonymous like? What is their mentality? All those questions are ripe for answering, including any other questions Rym and Scott could think up.

As for questioning some Scientologists, you could consider calling around and setting up an interview beforehand, not just walking up to them on the day of the protest (which would probably be intimidating.) Or maybe catch a few who call out to people around the subway, with assurances you will be respectful to them. There's probably a way to get them to talk to you, but it will require a bit of effort.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • It would really be worth it if we could interview some scientologists in addition to punk kids.
    How about former scientologists how are now against the cause? I listened to two of them on another podcast that was at the DC protests.
  • How about former scientologists how are now against the cause? I listened to two of them on another podcast that was at the DC protests.
    No, we already know what they have to say. The trick is to talk to the crazy people who are currently scientologists and trap them.
  • Ah! *thumbs up*
  • edited March 2008
    Tomorrow is the next step. Just a reminder.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • If you want to hear a semi-coherent interview with a Scientologist, I suggest you listen to the February 17th program of this show.