This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Issues with AIM and ICQ

edited February 2008 in Technology
I've been having strange problems with both AIM and ICQ, which (as I just found out) both use the same service. It seems I can't connect via Pidgin or Kopete, but I can perfectly well connect via Gizmo or Meebo. I use Linux Mint and have tried to connect to the AIM server via telnet, and it worked. So I figure it isn't because of a firewall. I was thinking it could be because I'm in Saudi at the moment and they have a proxy where everything goes through, but then neither Gizmo nor telnet should have been able to connect.

I know it would be better to use another protocol/ service and that it is hard to give any advice with so little information, but I just wanted to ask if any of you were experiencing similar problems.

Comments

• I've now made myself a Jabber account (kiwi@jabber.no). I was able to connect to AIM via one of those Transports. Now I was thinking of adding my contacts via Jabber.

What I mean is instead of randomusername@aol.jabber.no connect to randomusername@aol.com. I've tried this but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried it with both @aol.com and @xmpp.oscar.aol.com, bu both then give me the following error message:

"remote-server-not-found"

So my question is: Is it even possible to connect this way?
  • So my question is: Is it even possible to connect this way?
    No, because they haven't federated yet.
  • Thanks! That explains everything. When you say "they" do you mean AOL or the randomusername?
  • Thanks! That explains everything. When you say "they" do you mean AOL or the randomusername?
    AOL has to federate their Jabber server.