This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ticket to ride

edited February 2008 in Board Games
Anyone here ever play the game "Ticket to ride." I played it a little while ago and thought it was prety fun. It's simple kind of random and wouldn't be very hard to conquer but is still fun

Comments

• Rym hates Ticket to Ride. I am more in agreement with you. It's not the greatest game ever, but it's fun to play once in awhile. It's a good game to use to steer your family, or other non-gamers, towards the more awesome board games. Vegas Showdown is also good in that respect.
  • I have it and the expansion pack of cards that came out at Essen a few years back.

My wife likes it but I just don't.
  • It's a fun game for sure. It just isn't nearly as deep as many euro-games out there. As Scott said, it's a good "gateway" game.
  • edited February 2008
    I agree -- it's a great gateway game. My wife and I have been introducing it to family and friends for the past couple of years, and everyone who's played has enjoyed it. It helps that the rules are teachable in about five minutes to anyone who has played a set collection card game. For more experienced gamers, look at TtR:Europe or TtR: Märklin for more challenging gameplay.
    Post edited by phurballdj on
  • Ticket to Ride is a fun game, but be careful who you play it with. Whenever someone starts to lose in my group, they will just take train cards and never play them.
  • For more experienced gamers, look at TtR:Europe or TtR: Märklin for more challenging gameplay.
    I never played Märklin, but we have Europe. I actually think Europe is a slightly worse game than the regular version since all the tunnels do is add randomness.
    Ticket to Ride is a fun game, but be careful who you play it with. Whenever someone starts to lose in my group, they will just take train cards and never play them.
    Griefers!
  • I never played Märklin, but we have Europe. I actually think Europe is a slightly worse game than the regular version since all the tunnels do is add randomness.
    True, although it can be mitigated by collecting a couple of extra cards or keeping some spare wildcards. Having said that, I tend to agree that the first game is better due to its simplicity.

By the way, there's an expansion to the first game (called the USA 1910 expansion). It adds a whole bunch of new tickets and a couple of minor variants. We found that it added some freshness to the game by making the routes less predictable. One of the variants is an added bonus for completing the most tickets, which helps those who didn't receive the big 20-pointers at the start of the game.