This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080211 - Wikis

RymRym
edited February 2008 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss wikis. In the news, Anonymous doesn't exactly deliver, and Scott has four newses (about cell phones).

Scott's Thing - Corporate Logo Evolution
Rym's Thing - Frozen in Grand Central

Comments

• Did you try Radio Shack? They have a habit of continuing to produce components that most people don't care about. Until a few years ago, I was able to buy switcher tape for repairing 8-tracks there. :P
  • Did you try Radio Shack? They have a habit of continuing to produce components that most people don't care about. Until a few years ago, I was able to buy switcher tape for repairing 8-tracks there. :P
    While I think they still do produce these components, and usually offer them online, they do not have them in their stores anymore.
  • Did you try Radio Shack?
    Hah! Radio Shack has almost nothing I need audio-wise.
  • Do either of you use a personal wiki? I'm wondering if something like that would help with document organization.
  • Do either of you use a personal wiki? I'm wondering if something like that would help with document organization.
    It could, but it's a little bit of overkill for something personal. If it's personal, then the collaboration and such goes away.
  • It could, but it's a little bit of overkill for something personal. If it's personal, then the collaboration and such goes away.
    I was thinking more for a) version control (or revision history) and b) keeping notes on images and their ilk.
  • I was thinking more for a) version control (or revision history) and b) keeping notes on images and their ilk.
    For version control, something like git, cvs, svn, etc. is best. Even though they are designed for source code, it will work well for any kind of file. For putting notes on images, Flickr or Picasa is the way to go, no?
  • edited February 2008
    For version control, something like git, cvs, svn, etc. is best. Even though they are designed for source code, it will work well for any kind of file. For putting notes on images, Flickr or Picasa is the way to go, no?
    Then I guess it's time I took a more serious look into source control. I did try setting something up previously - Turtle SVN - but I had issues getting it to work right. I suspect it's because I'm a tard.

For image organization, I definitely could use Picasa.

I know you stated that a personal wiki would be overkill, but now I'm looking at two programs - one of which is a source control - to do what I suspect a wiki with revision control could do for me, sans the automatic elements afforded by Picasa. I'm not trying to throw this in your face, as I suspect you are brighter than I am in this area, but I have to ask again whether or not I could use a personal wiki for this.
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • I'm not trying to throw this in your face, as I suspect you are brighter than I am in this area, but I half to ask again whether or not I could use a personal wiki for this.
    I guess it could. Try it and see if it works for you. It's just that revision control is a feature of wiki, not the purpose of a wiki.
  • I'm not trying to throw this in your face, as I suspect you are brighter than I am in this area, but I half to ask again whether or not I could use a personal wiki for this.
    I guess it could. Try it and see if it works for you. It's just that revision control is a feature of wiki, not the purpose of a wiki.
    Awesome. I totally wrote "half" when I meant "have."

I'll check out a few of the wikis on this list and escalate to a version control if needed.
  • This episode got me thinking that Wikipedia should have on their site "Wikipedia: Where losers can write history too"
  • I've been experimenting with Zim, it's a personal desktop wiki. I'm using it like an organizer, todo list, idea list and notes to myself. I don't think it's really going to work long term though, it's kinda like single player Combat.

At work we have 2 Wiki solutions. I work for a huge corporation and they can't see any benefit of open software so both Wiki's are closed. The main internal Wiki is Confluence it is closed source but seems to be full featured. The company is currently pushing this "company space" that has been created with collaborative solutions. The only problem is when they started taking off and employees actually started using the internal blog system the legal team shut it down. When the blog traffic stopped so did the Wiki updates.

The second solution is Microsoft's SharePoint Server. This is team by team solution, each can set up a SharePoint site just by requesting it, and the Wiki is a tacked on piece of shit. Search for SharePoint Wiki template and you will find a Microsoft blog stating "the wiki functionality in WSS 3.0 was not designed to compete directly with best-of-breed wiki products" and there is no way to create a wiki page template. Corporations will pay for it because they already buy 2003 server, XP and Vista Desktop software, Office, Exchange, and MS SQL. Microsoft can throw in SharePoint server for next to nothing and be the most prominent corporate Wiki with out even trying.

SharePoint wiki does work for our group. It's just a pain in the ass to do stuff you could do with another wiki product by default.