This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Trend Micro has no class.

edited February 2008 in Technology
I know this may not apply to some people (mainly Mac users), but for poor souls like me who can't afford the latest virus-free computers (I've been stuck with this Windows XP for 5 years), if you have Trend Micro as your anti-virus software, remove it now.

I saw this blog post being advertised on GNU.org.
The proprietary software company Trend Micro has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Barracuda Networks. They claim that Barracuda is violating their patent by distributing the free software antivirus program ClamAV.
Apparently, Trend Micro doesn't like people using free anti-malware programs like this to their advantage, so what's the best way to get more customers? Sink lower than Bill Gates by suing the competition who allows us this rarity in the industry.

Comments

• Ooooooor it could be true. Why is the immediate reaction to defend an open source project?
  • ...Because they're suing an open-source project?
  • edited February 2008
    So? I agree that software patents are shit, but if they broke the law, then they broke the law. Where's the proof that this is a bullshit claim?
    EDIT: Not that this defaults to a valid claim if there's no proof, of course.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Neito, that makes no sense. If you agree that patents on software are wrong then why should you endorse punishment when you see that the crime is unjust?
  • Neito, that makes no sense. If you agree that patents on software are wrong then why should you endorse punishment when you see that the crime is unjust?
    Because believing a law is unjust does not mean I endorse breaking it. I endorse changing it.
  • Spose you could look at it that way. Seems strange to me that's all.
  • but for poor souls like me who can't afford the latest virus-free computers (I've been stuck with this Windows XP for 5 years), if you have Trend Micro as your anti-virus software, remove it now.
    Um... virus-free computers don't "cost" anything. If you do a clean install of XP, and you don't do anything stupid, then you won't get viruses. You shouldn't need to install an anti-virus at all if you don't do anything dumb. It has nothing to do with your hardware. Also, Linux is free.
  • It's true. As long as you don't do stupid things, and you keep your computer up to date, you can't get viruses.
  • I'm a big proponent of Linux but I was often disappointed when my virus scanner would turn up only a few results after a scan. As a relatively competent computer user you should be fine with a fresh install of windows.

Wait a sec.. the best in virus free computing doesn't cost anything.
  • I actually like all the viruses I have. It keeps my computer busy... It's like I finally have friends!!

btw, I use avast!
  • Ubuntu is nice, but I like playing games.