This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm considering running for mayor

edited February 2008 in Politics
First off I'm 18 and this year my town will have an election. I (hopefully) will not be in the same state as I am now in the fall. I want to have a platform about a balanced budget and education reform. I know these don't exactly jive but I think they can. The biggest problem I think will be fighting the Hudson County Democratic Machine. I've got to do more research into how to get nominated but I think its a five-hundred signature petition. I just want to know whether you think this is a good idea?

Comments

• Where do you live?
  • New Jersey mayors have no power over educational reform. Education is a power delegated to the state.
  • I think you should go for it. In fact, there was a similar situation in my hometown. Aaron Schock, was an 18 year old high school student who ran for state representative, and he claimed his campaign was a drive to get young people to vote. He ended up winning the election and has been an Illinois State representative for several years now. I think he's even trying to become a U.S. House representative in the next election.
  • Bayonne. Damn I will have to rethink my platform. I'm still going with the balanced budget and transparency.
  • No offense, and I'm not trying to discourage you, but I think it's a really bad idea for an 18-year-old to be in charge of a town or city. Experience has its virtue. If you are really interested in politics, I highly suggest first working as a Board of Elections volunteer, then pursue a seat on a municipal planning commission or board of education. Also, you really need to research civic law. Start attending every city council meeting you can.

By the way, your city budget is already balanced. New Jersey law does not allow municipalities to operate with an imbalanced budget.
  • edited February 2008
    Sadly, we don't have school board elections. Those are all appointed by the mayor. I've been trying to find this information out but it is really difficult and this is just me having a first whim of this. Honestly, I realize the best bet would be to start after college but the fact of the matter is that there is only a mayoral election this year since out previous mayor got a better job in the state government. There will be a special election in November. I know there will be a lot of difficulties in doing this but I want to see how far I can get. I don't expect much but I think that the town needs someone who hasn't been part of the city government for his entire career. I realize experience is nessecary. I should re-phrase balanced budget with fiscal responablity.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • Your school board is appointed? By a mayor? So... many... problems... must... resist... urge... to yell....
  • Your school board isappointed? By amayor? So... many... problems... must... resist... urge... to yell....
    That... I don't think I can express how utterly stupid appointing the school board is. It's almost an invitation to corruption, as well as guarantee that the school board will end up extremely one-sided.
  • edited February 2008
    The result of one group of people controling the politics for about 50 years now
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • edited February 2008
    I also think an 18 year old mayor is a bad idea, and I probably wouldn't vote for you (no offense).
    I will, however, also say that I don't know anything about how local politics in the US work, so I can't give you any specific advice. So on a general note: If you consider getting into politics, and you're specifically interested in the local level (which is good, because that's probably the best place to start), do a lot of research on how decisions are made where you live, look at the different factions and into current issues. Then think whether mayor is really where you want to go right now. You might want to consider joining a party first, and become active there. It will teach you how the political process works.
    Nuric's example of the 18 year old mayor really surprised me, but maybe it is possible where you live. Don't be discouraged, but do thorough research.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I don't think an 18 year old mayor is a bad idea. I think that anyone running for mayor who doesn't seem to know what the mayor's powers and responsibilities are is a bad idea.