This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Epic Song Covers and Remixes.

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
I'm looking for the best (your favorite) covers and remixes. Quality or irony it doesn't matter what are your favorites.

I love Metallica's covers of Sabra Cadabra (Black Sabbath) and Loverman (Nick Cave). The Vinylshakerz have a killer remix of One Night in Bangkok. Then there is this:
iJz6_PEu6Iw
Lawnmower Deth - Kids in America, awesome stuff.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    The one in the background of this video: The Ramones doing Shape of things to Come.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4120650307735274830
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited February 2008
    Cake did a really freaking awesome version of "I Will Survive". Listen closely to the totally win bass line.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I concur completely with your sentiments on the Cake cover. Fashion Nugget was an entire CD of nothing but win.

However, let us not forget the covers of Darling Nikki as performed by Foo Fighters, and Land of Confusion as performed by Disturbed.
  • edited February 2008
    Animetal = epic fuck yeah! They have a lot of stuff but here's an example.

Post edited by Viga on
  • Aerosmith did a cover of the Beatles classic "Come Together" which was quite high quality and Gene Simmons did a cover of "When You Wish Upon a Star" (yes, the theme song of the Disney version of Pinocchio) that is absolutely unintentionally hilarious to listen to.
  • Richard Cheese anyone?
  • A recent remix that tickled my fancy is Rock In Black - a mashup where Queen meets AC/DC (with a light sprinkling of Zep and Sabbath) with positive results.

• edited April 2008
    Richard Cheese anyone?
    An epic failure, IMO.
    However, let us not forget the covers of Darling Nikki as performed by Foo Fighters, and Land of Confusion as performed by Disturbed.
    No. Just no. That Nikki cover is so godawful...Then again, I hate the Foo Fighters in general (except learn to fly, that's alright...the rest of their songs, fuck em), so thus that song isn't that hard for me to hate. Land of Confusion isn't too bad, actually.

My favorite covers are Rage Against the Machine's "Renegades" album. Every song on there is a cover...but most of the bands are some unheard of African artists that do various genres of music. Regardless, that CD is full of win.

Also, the Dancemania series has some decent techno remixes of songs. It also has a shitload of awful songs, too...but I digress.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I like Richard Cheese.
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    Jerry Garcia & Co. in Old & In the Way, doing a bluegrass cover of the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses".
    Post edited by jcc on
  • My favorite covers are Rage Against the Machine's "Renegades" album. Every song on there is a cover...but most of the bands are some unheard of African artists that do various genres of music. Regardless, that CD is full of win.
    Uh, no? Unless by "African" you mean "Hip-Hop/Rap." Afrika Bambaataa, which I have to assume is making you draw that comclusion, is definitely an American dude. I don't have the CD in my hand right now, but I don't remember a single non-American act covered in the entire thing.
  • One of the better covers I've heard is "Jolene", as covered by the White Stripes. Or, it might be Jack white and a few of those drinking bird toys positioned over a drum kit, you can never tell with Meg White.
  • edited April 2008
    My favorite covers are Rage Against the Machine's "Renegades" album. Every song on there is a cover...but most of the bands are some unheard of African artists that do various genres of music. Regardless, that CD is full of win.
    Uh, no? Unless by "African" you mean "Hip-Hop/Rap." Afrika Bambaataa, which I have to assume is making you draw that comclusion, is definitely an American dude. I don't have the CD in my hand right now, but I don't remember a single non-American act covered in the entire thing.
    Street Fighting Man by The Rolling Stones
    But yes, that's the only one, still the album is quite awesome.

Back on topic: Dropkick Murphys has a load of awesomely arranged traditional songs.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • My favorite covers are Rage Against the Machine's "Renegades" album. Every song on there is a cover...but most of the bands are some unheard of African artists that do various genres of music. Regardless, that CD is full of win.
    My bad, then. I thought I heard somewhere that they took some African music into account when making that album.
  • M.I.A.'s 20 Dollar is a really loose remix of Pixies' Where Is My Mind. It's awesome.

• Back on topic: Dropkick Murphys has a load of awesomely arranged traditional songs.
    I'm going to their Brisbane concert at the Tivoli soon, and I'm going to Flogging Molly at the Tivoli Theater on the 13th.
  • edited April 2008
    If we're alowwed to include OCRemixes then:
    "Anthem of a misguided youth"
    "Walk on water"
    "Lunatic Moon"
    ..most of the "Voices of the lifestream" songs.
    Are just a few.
    Dropkick Murphies doing "Amazing grace" is also good. Richard cheese is good in both musical style and the choice of covers.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've always been a fan of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, escpecially after I heard their version of Science Fiction/Double feature.
  • One of my favorite covers of all time:
  • Obligatory.

• edited April 2008
    Did I mention that I like Jam-Project?

My love/ hate relationship with Lucky Star continues ... T-T
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I recently uploaded this compilation for a music blog I contribute to and perhaps many here might like it as well. Its a compilation of 16 cover version of Screamin' Jay Hawkins classic 'I Put A Spell On You'. There are some really fine covers in there done by CCR, Nick Cave, Nina Simone, etc and then some other really odd ones like Tim Curry & Bette Midler.

I Put A Spell On You

The original is also included.
    Enjoy.