This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

IRQ overload (obscure linux problem)

edited February 2008 in Technology
Ok, I doubt anyone here will be able to help me but it is a big problem and nowhere else has any answers.
Having installed Pulseaudio and the first effect of this is that using sound in linux is just about bearable, the downside to this is that a process called "IRQ-18" is taking up half my processor. For some reason only Conky can recognize the process and it's load but gnome system monitor doesn't list the process or add its load to the total processor performance.
Any help to make this go away, without having to uninstall Pulseaudio, would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ok, I doubt anyone here will be able to help me but it is a big problem and nowhere else has any answers.
    Having installed Pulseaudio and the first effect of this is that using sound in linux is just about bearable, the downside to this is that a process called "IRQ-18" is taking up half my processor. For some reason only Conky can recognize the process and it's load but gnome system monitor doesn't list the process or add its load to the total processor performance.
    Any help to make this go away, without having to uninstall Pulseaudio, would be greatly appreciated.
    If I've learned any less from being a Linux user for a very long time it is to not try to do things like this. If it isn't broken, don't fix it! Pulse audio will be the default in the next release. It's only two months away. With all the fighting and tinkering you will have to do in order to get this shit to work, it will be two months before you get it sort of working in a ghetto duct-tape fashion. Every minute you spend trying to get your computer to work is a minute you don't spend actually using your computer to get other work done.
  • Good point, though I didn't know the next release is two months away. I'll remove pulse audio and wait.
  • Good point, though I didn't know the next release is two months away. I'll remove pulse audio and wait.
    Every 6 months for Ubuntu. Haven't you noticed something with the version numbers?

8.04 Hardy - April 2008
    7.10 Gutsy - October 2007
    7.04 Feisty - April 2007
  • I knew that, it was one of those searching for the keys in your hand moments.