This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

We Survived Katsucon 14!

RymRym
edited February 2008 in Everything Else
Barely...

The con was an absolute blast, but we're going to go on a short hiatus in order to recover. Rest assured, you can expect normal operations to resume Wednesday with our coverage of Katsucon 14.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of people (we just got in from the road), but special thanks/shoutouts to Ananth from Applegeeks for being awesome, Stevey B for having some epic stories to tell during the late show, Greg Ayers for putting off "more important things" to be on the show, Emily, Kate, Katsu, and Pete for being most excellent GeekNights/Katsucon staff, Videotopia for making the gaming room amazing, and of course, GameKatsu for being the best damn con gaming staff on the East Coast.

Also, huge shoutouts to all of the listeners we met! I remember Viga and Crueldragon off the top of my head, but we'll have more to say in our con coverage this Wednesday!

Comments

• If only Rubin did not give me the Con-plague.
  • So far, I'm not exhibiting symptoms.
  • If only Rubin did not give me the Con-plague.
    I was so sick Sunday I slept through a good portion of the staff party.
  • If you guys do make it to DEXCON in NJ be sure to make it to the Sugar Rush event.
  • My entire body hurt when I got home. I slept for 12 hours straight. Recover all your HP FRC guys!
  • I was so sick Sunday I slept through a good portion of the staff party.
    I passed out for 16 hours!
  • What the fuck are you guys doing at these things?

Running on stairmasters set on high the whole time?
  • My entire body hurt when I got home. I slept for 12 hours straight. Recover all your HP FRC guys!
    I passed out for 16 hours!
    You guys are lucky! I was on a good 42 hours without sleep this weekend and only 4 since.

Next year you will have a projector for the Atari if I have to steal it from another room. No better way to spend a few hours then playing ET on a projector, well being stuck in a hole in ET anyway.
  • edited February 2008
    --Post Deleted--
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I gotta say I wasn't sure you two were going to survive. Scott was looking pretty bad Friday when I first saw him, and Rym seemed to be losing his voice mid Saturday, but I guess it all worked out. Unfortunately I missed the Gekiga panel again, but I got to play Brawl with some cool people so it was worth it.
  • I gotta say I wasn't sure you two were going to survive
    That was probably a common thought.
    but I got to play Brawl with some cool people so it was worth it.
    That was provided by Shawn Handyside of the webcomic Staccato. So if you enjoyed it he's the reason why.
  • edited February 2008
    I gotta say I wasn't sure you two were going to survive
    That was probably a common thought.
    Super noticeable during the gekiga panel. At least it's all over now.

Next year you will have a projector for the Atari if I have to steal it from another room. No better way to spend a few hours then playing ET on a projector, well being stuck in a hole in ET anyway.
    I really didn't know what to do with that game. WTF?!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I've been in bed since I got home on Sunday with the Con-plague, fever and all.
  • What do you guys expect when you shove tons of people into a few confined rooms? Especially when there are a few who haven't showered in days...
  • aw man its the day after now, and my muscles are all still screaming. I partied hard at the raves, and helped break down everything Sunday night. Still my Favorite con, and see you guys next year as Con staff instead of being a lowly volunteer lol.
  • Aw, I so want to go to cons but sadly Austria is somewhat lagging...
  • but I got to play Brawl with some cool people so it was worth it.
    That was provided by Shawn Handyside of the webcomicStaccato. So if you enjoyed it he's the reason why.
    Yeah, Shawn is a friend of mine, I was helping him at his table. What I generally meant by cool people was I was playing with Jaime and Rob of Erfworld, Dave of Snafu Comics, Chris of Dueling Analogs, and Chris Herms who is now drawing the Sonic comics for Archie. Along with some of the game room staffers, but I didn't catch their names.
  • My cure for the con-plague is Chipotle and decent sleep (like 6 hours or so a night). It worked. I'm still here.

Looking forward to the Wednesday show. I need to finish my stuff...
  • I really wanted to go to Katsu this year, but I am (at the time of posting) in between vactations, so I didn't have enough money to pay for the con and have spending money for vacations and the con. I am going to make up for it by going to Otakon for the first "real" time (I only went for a few hours each day the last few times I've been). I will be going morning to night in a group of people and it will be the awesome.
  • Goddamn con plague.

Being staff was hella fun, I must say.
  • It's fun being staff till you sleep behind a table near a door and wake up to a man with a sword like cardboard tube.
  • Looks like that sedentary lifestyle is catching up to you, Scott.
  • What is the con plague that you guys are talking about?
  • It's exactly how it sounds. Thursday I believe Scott became the first to suffer and it quickly spread not only through the FRC members and Game Katsu but the rest of the con. I heard tell of attendee's who were locked away in their rooms due to their condition.

So basically if you still don't get it. Con Plague = Flu, Cold, Hepatitis C, and certain occurrences of diphtheria.
  • Airborne worked like a charm for me.
  • So basically if you still don't get it. Con Plague = Flu, Cold, Hepatitis C, and certain occurrences of diphtheria.
    I've heard there were also occurrences of dropsy, scrofula and The Grip.
  • I have it every Katsucon but this year I escaped it! My first Katsucon not being sick since year 9! Woot!
  • I have never gotten sick from an anime convention, so that will explain my ingnorance to the evil that is the con plague.
  • I've dodged the con flu every year so far. I really hope it keeps up.