This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

To lojack or not to lojack

edited February 2008 in Technology
My wife and I just bought a new subcompact car last night, and the finance dude at the dealership was really trying to upsell us on lojack. I know that most of the marketing for these devices is based on fear of burly hooligans stealing one's new toy, so I wanted to get input on the matter from the forums. For reference, the vehicle is a 2008 Yaris, and I'm in the Philadelphia neighborhood.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    You should look at the theft rate for the Yaris. I know that Toyota and Honda are often high on the list, but that's for models that there are a ton of. The Yaris isn't nearly as popular as the Civic or the Corolla.

Also, how much would you save on insurance? If you save $40 per year, but the Lojack costs $400 - then that's not such a good deal.

Lastly, check to see if the police in your area have Lojack equipment. If they don't then Lojack won't help you at all. (At least if it still works the way that I think it does.)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I was actually looking for Yaris theft rates earlier (and just tried again), but didn't find anything substantial. Do you know of any sites that are good for that info? I'll have to look into the insurance rate benefits.