This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I got KOTOR today, will I like it?

edited February 2008 in Video Games
I absolutely loved Mass Effect, so I finally decided to get KOTOR. Has anyone here played both? Are they alike? If KOTOR is anything like Mass Effect I think I'll love it.

Comments

• I absolutely loved Mass Effect, so I finally decided to get KOTOR. Has anyone here played both? Are they alike? If KOTOR is anything like Mass Effect I think I'll love it.
    You will probably really like it. They share many similarities.
  • I haven't played Mass Effect, But KOTOR is still one of my favorite games. Even still I'll load it up for a couple hours a day.
  • I didn't like KOTOR very much, I don't know why.
  • If you can forgive the game's bugs and accept that halfway through the game it might just totally get to a point where you can't go any further due to them (i.e. my dark side run through), it is a great game.

And pick up a copy of Jade Empire as well, I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but it is enjoyable.
  • Thanks for the insight. I'm looking forward to it even more now.
  • Dark Jedi + Force Storm = Profit

Unless you're a wuss and go light side.
  • I've just started playing KOTOR, and I'm addicted. It's got great depth. At first, I hated the battle system, but now I've learned to take full advantage of its pacing.

On a side note, if you bought KOTOR as part of the Best of Star Wars pack, give Andrew and I a holler sometime. We were playing Battlefront a couple of weeks ago, and I have a craving -- if I can find a spare couple of hours.
  • I beat both KOTORs and enjoyed the heck out of them. My GF beat them both of them twice, once as a light sider and once as a dark sider. So if you like Star Wars you should really be in for a treat.
  • I absolutely loved Mass Effect, so I finally decided to get KOTOR. Has anyone here played both? Are they alike? If KOTOR is anything like Mass Effect I think I'll love it.
    Mass Effect is simply KotOR on crack, you will probably enjoy it but it is not a definite. The "sheer head crushing depth" that Mass Effect has is completely lost in KotOR, so if that was what drew you into ME then KotOR will disappoint.
  • edited November 2009
    Just got KotOR on Steam for $2.49. Never played it before and know next to nothing about it, but the price was right.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Just got KotOR on Steam for $2.49. Never played it before and know next to nothing about it, but the price was right
    Whoa, thanks for the heads up. Purchased. Fallout 1 and 2 are my favorite games ever, and people have told me that the things I liked so much about Fallout are big in KOTOR too.
  • edited November 2009
    This Steam sale is bomb. I'm still saving my dollars for what's to come, but there have been some awesome deals so far. Dragon Age was like $15 off yesterday and Arkham Asylum was half-off. I passed both of them up, but now I'm sorta wishing that I had gotten Arkham Asylum. Today L4D2 is $12 off.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yay! Know I know what to get my friend for his birthday tomorrow!
  • Just got KotOR on Steam for $2.49. Never played it before and know next to nothing about it, but the price was right.
    Thanks for the heads up Sail just bought it myself like a minute ago.
  • $2.50? It's the Star Wars game with the light and dark side right? I'm trying not to spend money right now, but whatever. Something to review on the show, for better or worse.
  • $2.50? It's the Star Wars game with the light and dark side right? I'm trying not to spend money right now, but whatever. Something to review on the show, for better or worse.
    That would indeed be KotOR. Penny Arcade did a few comics about it. I can't remember them right now, tho.
  • edited November 2009
    Wow, I can already tell this game is going to be amazing. Combat, droids, computer hacking, and compelling story all in the first level and a half.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Wait, have you met HK47 yet??
  • I could not resist the THQ pack and now I'm eying the Lucas arts pack as well...
  • At $2.50, it's worth it just for pazaak! Seriously, though, about 4 hours in, and I'm really enjoying this game.
  • I could not resist the THQ pack and now I'm eying the Lucas arts pack as well...
    Those deals are so sweet. For me, the Lucasarts one is almost 100% games I've already played/don't want, compared to the THQ pack which is only about 20% unwanted. Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights? There was a Juiced 1? L4D2 at 25% off is tempting, but I'm going to hold out for the inevitable 50% off deal some time next year, and Batman, well, I got it at around a quarter of its current $AUD retail price, so I'm happy with that.

I fear the waves of games to come. You just know they're holding back an irresistible deal or two.
  • edited November 2009
    Trine for $10 and Resident Evil 5 for %50 off. Hot damn. RE5 PC has Internets co-op.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Resident Evil 5 for %50 off
    Oh mans, I loves me some RE5. Safari Chris and Clubbin' Sheva all the way.
  • edited November 2009
    The only complaint I have about KotOR is that the combat sucks. Everything else about this game is superb, though. I'm officially addicted.

[Edit] Fuck it. Getting L4D and Borderlands.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • KotOR is rough around the edges, buggy, incomplete, the difficulty jumps around, and the combat is rather bleh (simply flurry all the time until you get good force powers) but damn if it isn't one of my favorite games of all time. It and KotOR 2 are far and away the best Star Wars games since TIE Fighter by a wide margin, and two of the best western RPGs ever made. There is absolutely no reason I can see not to at least give it a try, especially at $2.50.
  • KOTOR is meh, but it was $2.50. I usually have a hard time being evil in games, so I'm trying really hard to go to the dark side. Game doesn't make it easy.
  • KOTOR is meh
    That was basically my reaction to it as well. I was so disappointed with it, especially when so many gaming sites were saying it was the best game of the year it came out.
  • If you were looking for anything but an RPG in this game, I could see why you would be disappointed.