This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Live-action Hollywood Akira

Comments

• So are we at the point now where interpretations of source material cannot even use the same names or titles? What is the line which must be crossed to indicate if you have to rework all the proper nouns?
  • So are we at the point now where interpretations of source material cannot even use the same names or titles? What is the line which must be crossed to indicate if you have to rework all the proper nouns?
    Yes, the nouns can be changed proportionally with the changes to the story, plot and themes.

• edited December 2011
    Double post, but furthermore, isn't Scott's argument a validation for strict film and IP copyright? What does this mean for parodies? Or what about fan fiction? Or someone remixing ponies into a completely different story? If you are going to make the argument that a creative work is a brand, how does this jive with your opinions on the above? They seem contradictory to me.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited December 2011
    Something like:

-The US government captured an experiment called Akira after the war and brought it back to NY, where an incident destroyed the city and was rebuilt as New-New York where the captured experiment lies dormant under further experimentation. Jake, a local hoodlum get's captured in a riot and submitted to the Akira Program where (the rest of the story develops).

Could still be called Akira, but with some of the proper nouns altered to make it still work.

A remix of ponies would probably not be called "My Little Pony Friendship is Magic" and not be sold as the same product, nor a parody.

This is being sold as Akira, as canon.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • This is being sold as Akira, as canon.
    What? Says who? This is a really big assumption. It's not like this is going to be retconn'd back into the manga. Also, we know so little about the movie right now that it's very possible that your version is what the final result will be. Like I said much earlier, it's too early to tell and you guys are getting way too worked up about this.

• This is being sold as Akira, as canon.
    What? Says who? This is a really big assumption. It's not like this is going to be retconn'd back into the manga. Also, we know so little about the movie right now that it's very possible that your version is what the final result will be. Like I said much earlier, it's too early to tell and you guys are getting way too worked up about this.

No wait, I have no real beef with the movie, it's just what the past has indicated. Same happened with Dragon Ball and Avatar, to name a few recent ones.
  • No wait, I have no real beef with the movie, it's just what the past has indicated. Same happened with Dragon Ball and Avatar, to name a few recent ones.
    As far as I know, those are not considered canon.

• Who even cares about Dragon Ball and Avatar movies at this point anymore? I heard that they were shit and that was it, no need to watch them, no need to care about them.

If the Akira movie would come out tomorrow, this thread would have one more post that says something like "It's shit, don't go to see it" and the movie would be never spoken about again.
  • Something like:

-The US government captured an experiment called Akira after the war and brought it back to NY, where an incident destroyed the city and was rebuilt as New-New York where the captured experiment lies dormant under further experimentation. Jake, a local hoodlum get's captured in a riot and submitted to the Akira Program where (the rest of the story develops).

Could still be called Akira, but with some of the proper nouns altered to make it still work.

A remix of ponies would probably not be called "My Little Pony Friendship is Magic" and not be sold as the same product, nor a parody.

This is being sold as Akira, as canon.
    New New York? Is Fry going to be in it?
  • New New York? Is Fry going to be in it?
    I would pay two thousand moneys to see this version of Akira.
  • Who even cares about Dragon Ball and Avatar movies at this point anymore? I heard that they were shit and that was it, no need to watch them, no need to care about them.

If the Akira movie would come out tomorrow, this thread would have one more post that says something like "It's shit, don't go to see it" and the movie would be never spoken about again.
    You should care, because they tanked, the probabilities of more "decent" adaptations come closer to none.

You should care, because they tanked, the probabilities of more "decent" adaptations come closer to none.
    But why should I want a "decent" adaptations of those things. If I want to watch Dragon Ball, I go with the anime series and if I want some Last Airbender, I will watch the cartoon and be happy.

Good adaptations of things are good, but I have no need for anyone to adapt my favorite things to other medias. No matter how my I like Ponies I don't care about seeing an live action version of it.

• Double post, but furthermore, isn't Scott's argument a validation for strict film and IP copyright? What does this mean for parodies? Or what about fan fiction? Or someone remixing ponies into a completely different story? If you are going to make the argument that a creative work is a brand, how does this jive with your opinions on the above? They seem contradictory to me.
    No one is taking a My Little Pony fan vid and pretending it is the actual show. Hardly anyone reads slash fic and confuses it with the original. If I made a show and called it "my little pony" and made it all dark and violent and full of ponies and put it on TV and sold it as the actual show, could one blame Hasbro for getting annoyed?
    Creators can't always control adaptations of their works, but it is always a shame when people get turned off by poor adaptations, or these inferior adaptations replace the original in the public consciousness.
  • edited December 2011
    So, a Psuedo-sequel that's the old one dressed up in a shiny new noun-jacket to account for the non-japanese cast.

Also, How the hell can anyone be saying "Poor adaption" this, and "Inferior adaption" that(Sorry to borrow your words, Emily, just the most succinct version of the general direction of this thread). They haven't even filmed the goddamn thing yet, cut them some slack. Also, since they've not filmed it, you've got literally no way of knowing if it will be a good or bad adaption, other than just making it up as you go along. We're deciding a Yet unfilmed movie is terrible, based on...NOTHING!

Seriously, guys, this is stupid. And for the second time, do none of you remember when y'all jumped on Geo/Yupa for doing EXACTLY what you're doing now?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Seriously, guys, this is stupid. And for the second time, do none of you remember when y'all jumped on Geo/Yupa for doing EXACTLY what you're doing now?
    They are the IP version of NIMBYs.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm changing sides. I agree with Luke/Jason/Andrew/Churba/etc.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I did not say it is a bad movie. I have not seen the movie. All I said was it
    1. Caved to marketing pressure and whitewashed the thing, which is an endemic problem in Hollywood.
    2. Is probably going to change a lot of stuff, which makes it a very loose adaptation, which can be, in my opinion, problematic for fans of the source material.
    These fears make me dubious as to its chances of being enjoyed by me personally.
  • I should note - I'm not saying it's going to be great, or we should all go and see it immediately at the first midnight screening, and the second, and the third, or anything crazy like that. I'm just also not saying it's bad, because I don't know yet.

Honestly, I'm not asking for anything other than waiting till the movie is at least released, or we have a lot more information than just a single a pre-shooting casting call.
  • 1. Caved to marketing pressure and whitewashed the thing, which is an endemic problem in Hollywood.
    Is this really a problem? Can you give concrete examples (other than Avatar)?

• I don't know guys...
    I don't care much about the Akira thing bc I only saw it once and don't remember anything about it, but if I found out Twihard girl was staring as the Major in the upcoming live action Ghost in the Shell movie, I would be flipping tables.

Just sayin.
  • If said adaptations were good, I would have no qualms with any of them. However, in the case of Dragon Ball Evolution they took all the worst (worse?) parts of what people think what Dragonball/Dragonball Z(OMG totally in yo face actionn!!!1!!1!!) is, instead of keeping what I like in there (poop jokes.) Is it the end of the world? Of course not. However, it would be nice to have a good adaptation of Dragonball, one that could even improve on the original. And who wouldn't appreciate that?

Instead decisions on these projects are headed by people who seem to not "get it." People whose (who's?) sole motivation is to make a buck off of the geeks/nerds who are existing fans of the franchise and people who have nothing better to do on a Friday night (hello.) These movies as far as I can tell usually bomb at the box office anyway, which would ruin the chances of them doing another with a more competent director/actors/whoever. These bad films end being wasted potential. Again, is this the end of the world? Nope; but it would still be nice to see have an awesome movie.

• Jason. I'm going to make a new movie. It will be called "Big Trouble in Little China". It will star Rym and myself. It's a serious action movie where we infiltrate a secret military base in Siberia to rescue the president from Zangief.

Problem?
  • No? Werner Herzog made a movie called Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans that had no connection to the original Bad Lieutenant but had a vaguely similar plot and it was amazing.
  • Jason. I'm going to make a new movie. It will be called "Big Trouble in Little China". It will star Rym and myself. It's a serious action movie where we infiltrate a secret military base in Siberia to rescue the president from Zangief.
    Damn you Scott, now I really want to see this thing.
  • edited December 2011
    1. Caved to marketing pressure and whitewashed the thing, which is an endemic problem in Hollywood.
    Is this really a problem? Can you give concrete examples (other than Avatar)?

Ursula K. LeGuin writes about her troubles with adaptations of Earthsea.

A handful more examples:
    The Hunger Games
    Prince of Persia
    Speed Racer

Seriously, if you think there is no racism in Hollywood casting, you are naive.
    Post edited by gomidog on

Problem?
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

• edited December 2011
    Jason. I'm going to make a new movie. It will be called "Big Trouble in Little China". It will star Rym and myself. It's a serious action movie where we infiltrate a secret military base in Siberia to rescue the president from Zangief.

Problem?
    Yeah, There's a problem. Can either of you act? But failing that, I don't give a fuck, though I'd probably go see it. After all, you can call it "Big Trouble in Little China", and it doesn't matter any more than also being called Scott makes me a programmer with a shaved head living in New York. Call it what you like, it's the movie itself that matters.
    I don't know guys...
    I don't care much about the Akira thing bc I only saw it once and don't remember anything about it, but if I found out Twihard girl was staring as the Major in the upcoming live action Ghost in the Shell movie, I would be flipping tables.
    Okay, Just because she was in twilight, doesn't mean anything about her - You go, you do the job, take the paycheck, and go home. Considering that it's a very considerable paycheck, I can't blame her, either. She's straight up dissed the film (I think her father quoted her as saying she'd present at award ceremonies if it was "A good movie, and not just one that made a lot of money", has said she'll be glad when it's over, and has called the fans Retarded.)

I mean, sure, she's got about as much personality as a granite block in Twilight, but fuck sake, look what she had to work with. The greatest actors alive couldn't do much better, because she's trying to play a character that is 100% a cypher, a space for the reader to self insert, with as little personality as possible to ease the process.

I should also add, before being hated on for Twilight, she received critical acclaim for her performances in Panic Room, Cold Creek Manor, and The Runaways(playing Joan Jett, no less) as well as her incredible performance in Speak.

You know something has gone to shit around here when I'm the bloody voice of calm, reason and moderation.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Okay, Just because she was in twilight, doesn't mean anything about her
    She was in The Runaways and was pretty good.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, Just because she was in twilight, doesn't mean anything about her
    She was in The Runaways and was pretty good.
    And I really, really recommend Speak, it's an excellent movie.

Post edited by Churba on
  • She isn't (potentially) being cast in Akira because she's an amazing actress or would "fit" the part. She's being cast because they know thousands of Twihard fans will pay their $12 to come see this movie just because of her. A movie with those kinds of minds running it is probably doomed from the beginning.

Also regarding her awfulness in Twilight, I don't think its acceptable to act horribly in a movie just because you don't like it. (I know she doesn't like it, Patterson as well apparently). I would think a good actor/actress would try to act as best they can in whatever to improve their skills and preserve their image. She just gets all emo to make the "I don't care about this" statement. I've seen her in other movies, and I just don't like her acting. I think a lot of people don't like her either, hence the anger at her casting. However its the first point I brought up that would make me more angry, not just the bad acting.