This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ROBOT9000

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
A while ago, the xkcd guy set up a bot on his IRC channel called ROBOT9000 in order to do away with unoriginal or frivolous comments and memes. Well, today, 4chan decided to make a new board implementing a similar bot (NSFW, of course). You cannot post any images or text that have been posted before. The human mods take care of the instances where people just tack on nonsense to the end of their unoriginal posts, and it seems to be working. When one makes a post lacking original content, they are suspended from posting for 2*n seconds, n being the amount of unoriginal posts they have submitted, and their post is deleted. Since it's the first day of this new board, a lot of people are just screwing around with it, making "Let's post as many common phrases as we can in order to screw with later posters" type threads. However, after a few days (or weeks) of this, I expect /r9k/ (the ROBOT9000 board) to perhaps provide original content and be a breeding ground for future memes. Personally, I think this is a pretty cool little experiment.

Edit: one problem I've run into is that images can be reposted if the file name is changed. I don't know how they'll go about fixing this as of now.

Comments

• I was goofing around in this earlier today. Looks fun. There was even a "Dump your /b/ folder" thread with original content.
  • Oh awesome. I was hanging out in the xkcd irc and someone suggested just this thing. Changes the whole mechanic of a board like this. I approve.