This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 26 - Shaving

Comments

• How's the hypo-allergenic stuff? I get a bit of irritation on the base of my neck when I shave, and I've been considering going hypo-allergenic in the hopes of reducing that. Does it actually work?
  • You know. I really don't have anything to compare the hypo-allergenic stuff to, so i can't say whether it is better or worse than the other stuff. I just got it because it was unscented. If you want to try it you can come on over.
  • Shaving with an old fashion safety razor is great, but I just started shaving with a straight razor and it is definitely teh winz. I would highly recommend it to anyone without Parkinson's disease. It is a great morning ritual, and gives the best shave ever. Also it looks cool.
  • There is no download link to this episode ........

Please ...

someone ...

... don't make me beg.
  • I use an electric razor, but that is more because all I have is peach fuzz.
  • I also use an electric razor, however I do have facial hair. I use it because it is the quickest and most convenient way to shave, for me. I occasionally use a normal razor.
  • Ditto Zeehat here...I use an electric razor most mornings, but when I want an actual close shave I pull out my mach 3,000 or whatever they're up to now. Not the greatest shave ever with those but for the amount I use it, it's satisfactory.
  • I use a crappy Gilette Midnight razor (or something like that). It's not electric and it has 4 blades.

All in all, I have a fair amount of facial hair to shave off, but I usually only shave like 1-2 times per week. I've only been shaving since early January, so I'm still not that great at it, so I usually end up cutting or nicking myself at least once. But really, I could care less, cause it'll bleed for a few seconds or minutes, then it'll be fine.

I dunno. For what I paid for it, including the fact that I don't replace my blades that often (since I don't shave that often), I'm fine doing it the way I do now.
  • I have a beard with a mustache so screw shaving, only some scissors from time to time.
  • I remember using my brother's electric razor to shave my legs around a decade ago, without asking him for permission or cleaning it off afterwards. Legs != face by the way; that wasn't a real comfortable shave...
  • I hate my Mach 3, I don't shave more than a once a week. I really need to shave more cause my facial hair is patchy as hell and it looks awful.
  • edited March 2008
    I use a Gillete Fusion battery powered razor. Then, after I've used that, I go over what I've already shaved with a Norelco Advantage. I shave while in the shower under the hottest water I can stand.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Bwahahaha! I do not shave at all! No danger of cutting myself, no unpleasant feeling, no irritated skin. I wish to have a full beard at the age of 25. Six more years.
  • You'll still have to shave under your neck. Think about it.
    Not if you run Linux.
    Why the hell would I shave any of my hair if I don't even bother with my visible facial hair? I'm never going to shave my arms, armpits, chest, stomach, crotch, legs or feet out of free will.
    Not if you run Linux.
    Where's that from? And I'm on the right track then.
  • Where's that from? And I'm on the right track then.
    Daryl Surat always says that Linux users have neck beards.
    Why the hell would I shave any of my hair if I don't even bother with my visible facial hair? I'm never going to shave my arms, armpits, chest, stomach, crotch, legs or feet out of free will.
    Maybe your facial hair won't grow this way, but whenever I grow a beard, the hair on my neck irritates the skin there enough so that it's hurts to bend my neck up or down even in the slightest. So, even if I'm letting it grow out as full as I can, I shave around the neck area. It can also cause a unattractive and irritating rash. Look at guys with beards. Notice how many of them shave their neck around their Adam's Apple. That's what I'm talking about. Beard hair in that area is very, very annoying.

Even if you don't shave, you're gonna have to maintain that beard by trimming and washing it. You'll end up spending nearly as much time on the beard as you would on completely shaving.
  • Maybe your facial hair won't grow this way, but whenever I grow a beard, the hair on my neck irritates the skin there enough so that it's hurts to bend my neck up or down even in the slightest. So, even if I'm letting it grow out as full as I can, I shave around the neck area. It can also cause a unattractive and irritating rash. Look at guys with beards. Notice how many of them shave their neck around their Adam's Apple. That's what I'm talking about. Beard hair in that area is very, very annoying.

Even if you don't shave, you're gonna have to maintain that beard by trimming and washing it. You'll end up spending nearly as much time on the beard as you would on completely shaving.
    Hmmm, thanks for the advice. Don't have any noticeable hair on my neck yet, but yeah, I know I'll have to take care of it, and I will. And me becoming 25 is still 6 more years, a lot can happen. I might even go more insane according to my current standards and have shaved every inch of my body.
  • edited March 2008

Not really, you wash it when you wash your hair (for me is once every 2 or 3 days) and trim it once a month (then again, I only get a haircut every 6 months or so).

And the hair on my neck doesn't really bother me at all only the first 2 or 3 days after a clean shave.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • For the Canadians out there (don't know how many you are) the classic shaving site is States based from what I can tell. So you look at longer shipping times and higher fees if you’re ordering from them. Fendrihan.com is based out of Toronto (Brampton) and has comparable prices for everything on classicshaving, with the exception of some razor models that are a few dollars more expensive. They also have free shipping in north America for orders over 150$. Good for first time buyers getting started that are buying the razor, blades, brush, etc..
  • When I was a wee lad, they sold the best shaving brush ever. The shaving cream was kept inside the bottom of the brush. You turned the base, and the cream would come up into the center of the brush. The cream was like a thick lotion that would lather when you used the brush. You could buy refills when it ran out of cream. It was made by a name-brand company.

Sadly, they no longer sell it. It was the best. A brush with the convenience of a can of shaving cream.
  • Kilarney, your post should be posted here
  • edited April 2008
    I never heard this episode before and I realized I'd never took the time to learn how to shave properly (since I never had anyone to teach me as a kid), and I've even been shaving since I was 11 years old (I started early, yes).

Also found this:
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Daryl Surat always says that Linux users have neck beards.
    It's a little more widespread than just Daryl...4chan makes fun of neck beard toting Linux users every now and then.

Anyhow...I actually have shaved hair off my hands, cause it sometimes gets annoying. I also shave my eyebrows if they start to get insane (no, not girly eyebrow shaving....)
  • I also shave my eyebrows if they start to get insane (no, not girly eyebrow shaving....)
    You mean pluck right? With tweezers? You don't use a razor blade. Do you?
  • *ashamed* I go to a salon for my eyebrows.

Wax.
  • I also shave my eyebrows if they start to get insane (no, not girly eyebrow shaving....)
    You mean pluck right? With tweezers? You don't use a razor blade. Do you?
    No, I use a razor. I tend to just take the razor sideways and shave in between my 2 eyebrows to reduce unibrow-ness.
  • No, I use a razor. I tend to just take the razor sideways and shave in between my 2 eyebrows to reduce unibrow-ness.
    That's horrible. It's so easy to cut yourself that way. Just use tweezers- take away the risk of blood.