This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 26 - Shaving

Comments

• It will also prevent it from growing back for longer.
    I've always heard this, but I don't believe it to be true. Is there evidence behind this statement?
    I've always heard this, but I don't believe it to be true. Is there evidence behind this statement?
    Mostly logic. Plucking can rip out more of the hair, if not the entire root. Shaving doesn't remove as much hair. Ergo, it takes longer for plucked hair to grow back.

I should pluck my unibrow more often than I actually do.
    Think about it this way. When you shave, you cut off only the visible hair above the skin. However, when you pluck a hair out you pull out all the hair from the root. As you see in this picture, it would easily take longer for the hair to grow back to the same size after plucking rather than shaving. This is because after plucking it would take time for the hair to even reach the skin level, let alone reach the same size above the skin.
  • *ashamed* I go to a salon for my eyebrows.

Wax.
    You are brave. I tried simply plucking and it hurts like hell!
  • *ashamed* I go to a salon for my eyebrows.
    Wax.
    I honestly don't like paying whatever amount they charge you to have it done. I shape my eyebrows myself. I used to wax them, however the wax I used is no longer offered in stores. It was the real hardcore wax that would hurt, however it did the job. Now it's all replaced by that sugar-wax crap that doesn't do shit for getting all the hair. I'm sure if I really looked, I could find another brand of good wax.

I just pluck now. Sometimes the pain gets to me, but I'm used to it.
  • I trim my beard about every two weeks. I throw the number 2 guard on my clippers and go to town.

Neck shaving is essential. That hair gets very annoying. You also need to keep the mustache trim. I like to keep it even with my upper lip.
  • edited April 2008
    It's so easy to cut yourself that way.
    With a shitty 4 blade shick razor, it's hard to cut yourself doing anything with it.
    (because I know someone is gonna mention it) I have no plans on changing to wetshaving. I only shave my face 1-2 times a week (I'm 17, it doesn't grow very fast...), so the money I'd have to spend to get new razors, cream, and whatnot isn't worth it to me right now.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I've decided I look better with facial hair.
    But what do others think? 80% of the women I talk to like a clean shaven look.
    Screw the clean shaven look! I love a stubble man! Or a goatee!

Then again people say I have the strangest taste in men. :P
  • Screw the clean shaven look! I love a stubble man!
    Lucky I didn't shave this morning. =P
  • Screw the clean shaven look! I love a stubble man! Or a goatee!
    Ahh... but neither of those are a beard. That was my point.
    Who says he wants to date 80% of the women you talk to?
  • It's funny. I like young guys to be clean shaven, but older guys to have a beard. Maybe it is because my father has one, so when I see beard, I think "papa!" and when I see a smooth face I evaluate their attractiveness. This doesn't apply to little indie beards and the nicely kept goatees of trendy twenty-somethings. Also, I like guys with less body hair. (Asian guys and Black guys are lucky in this regard. I remember the infamous "Why do you shave your body!!??" episode with a Chinese friend of Scrym's at a con some years back.)
  • But what do others think? 80% of the women I talk to like a clean shaven look.
    As long as I don't feel like I'm getting stabbed by a million needles just by kissing your cheek, I'll be fine.
  • I go with the permanent 5 O'clock shadow.
  • Who says he wants to date 80% of the women you talk to?
    FYI... I work for a modeling agency.
  • Also, I like guys with less body hair.
    How do you like Rym then? (No offense Rym).
  • How do you like Rym then?
    I like him very much! Sure, he's a little fuzzy-chested, but he's also awesome.
  • Clean-shaven is okay if you have a distinctive chin. If your chin blends into your neck at all, even if it's just visual and not really physical, keep the beard. I personally am a fan of goatees.
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    Daryl Surat always says that Linux users have neck beards.
    It's a little more widespread than just Daryl...4chan makes fun of neck beard toting Linux users every now and then.
    I'd have a neckbeard if I didn't shave. Sadly, it's the only kind of beard I can grow. :/ The Linux came later, though. :)
    It's funny. I like young guys to be clean shaven, but older guys to have a beard. Maybe it is because my father has one, so when I see beard, I think "papa!" and when I see a smooth face I evaluate their attractiveness. This doesn't apply to little indie beards and the nicely kept goatees of trendy twenty-somethings. Also, I like guys with less body hair. (Asian guys and Black guys are lucky in this regard. I remember the infamous "Why do you shave your body!!??" episode with a Chinese friend of Scrym's at a con some years back.)
    What the hell happened with beards? Nobody does anything interesting with their facial hair anymore. It's either designer stubble or a goatee I'd say a good 3/5 of the time, with the rare 1/5 full beard and the final fifth subdivided into ironic Tom Selleck mustaches, Amish beards, and the occasional muttonchop.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Screw the clean shaven look! I love a stubble man! Or a goatee!
    Ahh... but neither of those are a beard. That was my point.
    Well the guy I'm dating has a van dyke beard. It's hot! I don't discount the beards! I got major hairy guy love and that includes the face! <3
  • I shave with Gilette Sensitive Gel, and the Fusion Razor blade. The moving one. I never get a really close shave with it.
  • So Rym, Scott, or anyone else who's started using this method. Any new advice you would add to what was said in this episode? Also, do you still purchase from the store mentioned in that episode?
  • So Rym, Scott, or anyone else who's started using this method. Any new advice you would add to what was said in this episode? Also, do you still purchase from the store mentioned in that episode?
    We'll make a shaving video soon.
  • So I got all stuff and I have to admit the shave wasn't so great. Then I realized I'd gotten shaving soap and not shaving cream. Fail, but at least I didn't have to buy another $20 pack of mach 3 blades.

I feel the only thing I can actually report on is the razor. These things are easily as good or better than a cartridge style razor. And you really don't have to worry about hurting yourself (unless you're shaving with soap lather instead of cream like a dumbass). I looked a the pictures online and thought "that's a fancy implement of death." Now that I have one the first thing I said was "ohhhhhhhhh, I see...safety razor." A closed comb safety razor is no more dangerous than any other cartridge razor (actually probably a lot better than those throw away razors, never had razor burn quite that bad.)

Tomorrow I'll try regular old shaving cream from a can and see how the safety razor does.
  • gedavids, do you have the badger hair brush? Are you using water so hot it can burn you? Just having the equipment won't help if you don't use the proper technique.
  • After years of feeding Bic and Gillete shareholders, I have ordered an old school razor, badger brush and shaving soap from Amazon. The tipping point was the fact that I can get 100 blades for $18. That's probably 2 years worth of shaving. Disposable razors over the same time period would be well over $100. We'll see how it goes.