This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 26 - Shaving

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Found some instructions on how to use shaving soap. I need to work it into a lather in a bowl before I try to put it on my face.

Instructions on how to use shaving soap.
    gedavids, do you have the badger hair brush? Are you using water so hot it can burn you? Just having the equipment won't help if you don't use the proper technique.
    Yeah, I've got the badger brush and the hottest water in the house. I'm not saying this is bad, just that I screwed up my first time. I need a little practice, I'm expecting today's shave to be a large improvement given my lessons of yesterday.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • gedavids, do you have the badger hair brush? Are you using water so hot it can burn you? Just having the equipment won't help if you don't use the proper technique.
    Weren't you guys going to make a instructional video at one point in time? ^_~
  • Owwwww, razor burn!

Screw this soap nonsense!
  • Weren't you guys going to make a instructional video at one point in time? ^_~
    Putting it on todo list.
  • *saving jcc's pic for later reference*
    Wow, I'm usually the one to did up old ass post.

I don't have facial hair, only sideburns. I tried to grow a chin beard beard but my hair stopped after a 1/2 inch.
  • You got further than me, I hair gives up at a 1/4.

Well I worked a lot harder at the shaving soap today and was rewarded with a much nicer shave. Foam from a can does work OK, but a good lather from shaving soap is better. That said, I have to work up the lather for a good 2-3 minutes before it's ready for shaving. I'm getting better at this, but my chin still aludes me in terms of a close shave. Also my neck is becoming a mine field of razor cuts, does anyone have any advice on no sucking at shaving your neck?
  • [D]oes anyone have any advice on no sucking at shaving your neck?
    Be careful. :)
  • I've been meaning to upgrade to a good safety razor and badger hair brush for a while now, but I need to upgrade my PC first.
  • FYI: If you have to evacuate a hurricane, and pack your tub of shaving cream, do not open it until it cools. You will be sorry.
  • FYI: If you have to evacuate a hurricane, and pack your tub of shaving cream, donotopen it until it cools. You will be sorry.
    Why would it be hot?
  • Why would it be hot?
    Luggage is warm.
  • Why would it be hot?
    Luggage is warm.
    Texas this time of year would be hotter than hell, if such a place existed.
  • Alright, this classic shaving has sucked for me. Maybe my whiskers are too tough or my face is just too bony and thus hard to shave around. I can shave my sideburns and mustache just fine, but chin never comes out nice and my neck is always a disaster. The closeness of my shave is not all that impressive either. Also, this shaving cream, doesn't feel that nice on my face. Feels kinda like burning, and then I add razor burn to that and it's very not pleasant. I think I'm gonna go buy some blades for my mach 3, they're pricey, but at least they worked for me.
  • Alright, this classic shaving has sucked for me. Maybe my whiskers are too tough or my face is just too bony and thus hard to shave around. I can shave my sideburns and mustache just fine, but chin never comes out nice and my neck is always a disaster. The closeness of my shave is not all that impressive either. Also, this shaving cream, doesn't feel that nice on my face. Feels kinda like burning, and then I add razor burn to that and it's very not pleasant. I think I'm gonna go buy some blades for my mach 3, they're pricey, but at least they worked for me.
    I can pretty much guarantee you are doing it wrong.
  • I too think I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out. I've listened to the podcast again and read the article you guys linked to, but still I'm getting just a sucky shave.
  • I've shifted over to an old school double sided safety razor, until I get my Cut-throat sent over from Australia, or I just buy a new one - The multi-blade razors give me razor bumps something fierce.

As for shaving cream - I use women's shaving cream, unless I'm going out somewhere that's worth normal shaving cream and cologne.
  • For the ladies: How do you groom your body hair, eyebrows, etc?
    I tried doing my eyebrows, but after two plucks I couldn't take the pain.

All the other women in my family barley grow leg or pit hair. So I have to shave a every week or so. I just use any old razor and some body wash. I never had a preference.

Question: Did anyone have a family that didn't let you shave? (I snuck and did it anyway but they disallowed it for some reason.)
  • edited September 2008
    For the ladies: How do you groom your body hair, eyebrows, etc?
    Back when I had more time, I waxed, trimmed, plucked it on my own. Now I just basically pluck and trim whenever I get a chance. Plucking some areas of my eyebrows can hurt, however I'm used to the pain and for most part I find pulling hair out with my tweezers to be enjoyable.

As for the rest of the body hair: shave.

I thought about doing that laser stuff, but I need to do more researching to see if it really works and the costs.
    Question: Did anyone have a family that didn't let you shave? (I snuck and did it anyway but they disallowed it for some reason.)
    No. However, I wish my mom was more involved during my teenage years and either introduced me to waxing instead of shaving.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Question: Did anyone have a family that didn't let you shave? (I snuck and did it anyway but they disallowed it for some reason.)
    Sort of - My father didn't object to me shaving, but he objected something powerful to my straight razor.
  • introduced me to waxing instead of shaving.
    Waxing is scary.
  • Waxing is scary.
    My girlfriend made me wax my eyebrows once, it isn't that bad. However, I did wax my legs once for a bet - I bled.
    My advice to all women, DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO YOUR EYEBROWS, unless you have either a monobrow, or they rival full grown beards. Seriously, I see too many women who have eyebrows made out of pencil, rather than hair. It looks horrible! And I think I already said I do not shave my beard, so guess what I do with the rest, yeah, I only wash my hair.
  • edited September 2008
    I pluck and trim my eyebrows. For some reason, plucking there just doesn't hurt at all. Then again, I don't do anything more extensive than getting rid of stray hairs and keeping everything even.

As for body hair, maybe this sounds weird, but I shave my arms and the back of my hands and fingers. I'm naturally very hairy, and if I don't shave there, I can't bear to look at myself. I also get rid of the occasional moustache-iness that grows in, and of course, armpits. As for legs/feet/toes, I don't tend to them it unless it's beach season and going to be seen by someone.

Personally, waxing any part of your body sounds nasty, and I have no interest in doing it.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I will shave/pluck my legs, underarms & eyelid hairs. As far as eyebrows go, if you pluck them right after a nice and steamy shower, it doesn't hurt at all.
  • I have my eyebrows waxed everytime I get a hair cut. I like waxing my legs, arms and what-have-you, but I usually shave. What accouterments do you ladies use to shave? I use a venus divine razor with skintimate shave gel.
  • edited September 2008
    I use a venus divine razor with skintimate shave gel.
    As for body hair, maybe this sounds weird, but I shave my arms and the back of my hands and fingers. I'm naturally very hairy, and if I don't shave there, I can't bear to look at myself.
    It's not that weird. A lot of women/girls do that, including myself. Being born with thick black hair makes things difficult at times.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I don't do anything to my eyebrows anymore but I might try shaping them again by plucking with tweezers. I can get a little too into grooming and go overboard though (hence why I stopped a while ago). Plucking doesn't hurt much at all but, I have a rather high pain threshold.

For other body hair I'm kind of addicted to waxing. I love not having to waste time shaving every three showers (and injuring myself thoroughly with my razors). Armpits hurt the most but at the same time are the most satisfying since they're clean for nearly a month after wards. Getting my legs done doesn't hurt at all and feels like a nice (super hot) massage every time I go. While I went back to shaving my armpits due to the cost of waxing everything, I will continue to shell out for my legs. The results are too nice to give up.
  • It's not that weird. A lot of women/girls do that, including myself. Being born with thick black hair makes things difficult at times.
    I thought Uglyfred was male...
  • I thought Uglyfred was male...
    Nope. I'm pretty sure Uglyfred is a female. ^_~