This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 26 - Shaving

12346»

Comments

• The hottest my faucet produces.
    Did you wash your face beforehand to make it all hot and wet?
  • The hottest my faucet produces.
    Did you wash your face beforehand to make it all hot and wet?
    I showered before hand and then splashed hot water on my face before I lathered with the brush.
  • Is it stubble or long hair?

I have the same problem when the hair gets past a certain length.
  • Is it stubble or long hair?

I have the same problem when the hair gets past a certain length.
    It was longish last night when I shaved, couple days to a week's worth. This morning it was of course short.
  • I have the same problem when the hair gets past a certain length.
    Shorter strokes and more frequent rinses, my friend.
  • I have the same problem when the hair gets past a certain length.
    Shorter strokes and more frequent rinses, my friend.
    I figured that out quick.
  • Rym,

You seem to be the master of the 3-way shave, how do you do your mustache area? When I go against the grain there I find myself getting cut very easily.
  • Rym,

You seem to be the master of the 3-way shave, how do you do your mustache area? When I go against the grain there I find myself getting cut very easily.
    As my father said to me when he taught me how to shave "the art of shaving is the art of pulling funny faces" - A light touch and keeping your top lip stretched down will help a bit. also, try starting a little higher above the lip than you are.

And if you're going to shave with Jet-lag, Use an electric razor. Well, that, or be a quick hand with a styptic pencil.
  • I started wet-shaving with my new Merkur Long Handle safety razor and I have to say that is so much better than my old Gillete Fusion.
  • edited February 2009
    I started wet-shaving with my new Merkur Long Handle safety razor and I have to say that is so much better than my old Gillete Fusion.
    QFT.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • As my father said to me when he taught me how to shave "the art of shaving is the art of pulling funny faces" - A light touch and keeping your top lip stretched down will help a bit. also, try starting a little higher above the lip than you are.

And if you're going to shave with Jet-lag, Use an electric razor. Well, that, or be a quick hand with a styptic pencil.
    QFT.
    You just QFT yourself. lol
  • edited February 2009
    Goddamnit, not again. fixed.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2013
    Rym,

Pull the skin firm with your opposite hand and use very little pressure (just the weight of the razor) with a fresh blade.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2013
    I hope his question wasn't in any way urgent...
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Where do people get there shaving supplies?

I want to pick up a safety razor set. This is the best site so far: http://www.classicshaving.com/
  • MATATAT said:

Wanna get real ballsy shave with this

Not hard if you have the dexterity to shave with a double edge or straight razor already, just stupidly awkward. You have to hold this with the razor pointing downwards, against your face.

• I would never shave my balls with that ice pick.
  • Wyatt said:

Where do people get there shaving supplies?

I want to pick up a safety razor set. This is the best site so far: http://www.classicshaving.com/

That's where I got mine so many years ago.

• Rym said:

Wyatt said:

Same.
  • If you have an old style tabaconist near you they will often stock them.
  • Rym said:

Wyatt said:

Same.
    Online shops with significant discount codes.
  • My safety razor just arrived today. I now understand the hype.
  • I think the guy from the pawn shop reality show just released a new line of butterfly razors. Don't know how the quality is but they sell for about $25.
  • Looks like the "as seen on TV" razor has a rating of 3.5/5 over at Amazon. I've seen these in the local stores in the same section as the rest of the stuff that gets pitched on the late-night infomercials, at a price point of $20. It might not be a bad starter razor, but anyone who buys one will probably be looking for a better quality one in the long run, provided they stick with it. Too many people expect to be able to whip around their face with a safety razor like they do with a Mach-3 or Fusion and end up cutting the crap out of themselves or not getting nearly the shave they're used to getting, and stop using a safety razor out of frustration.
  • What are your favourite winter after shaves and shaving cream / soaps?

For Summer I've been using Proraso Green soap and aftershave plus the pre-shave balm.
    However I do have Mitchell's Wool Fat for for a more neutral soap.

Too many people expect to be able to whip around their face with a safety razor like they do with a Mach-3 or Fusion and end up cutting the crap out of themselves or not getting nearly the shave they're used to getting, and stop using a safety razor out of frustration.

This is the weird thing for me because I know how how freaking sharp a proper razor is. However once you get some experience under your belt and are use to the razor + blade + shaving lather one pass can be quicker than a mach 5 shave and produce less issues.

Whenever I think I'm going to do a a quick single or double pass I always end up doing all 3 - with, across and against the grain.

• I guess my comment would have been better written as "Too many people trying one out for the first time expect to be able to...", because a lot of people I've met that are down on old-school shaving hadn't taken the time to educate themselves. They just expected to drop a blade in the handle and go to town, and when they didn't get the shave they wanted or cut themselves, they basically said, "I'm out" and went back to their old disposable.