This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• Well, why not? I'll grab some reference pictures of Scott and Rym and then take requests from there... they're pretty fun to make.
  • reference pictures of Scott and Rym
    I think the Art category needs a thread for reference pictures of Scrym.
  • Funfetus, your stuff is great. What did you use to make the last one?
  • Fenfetus - That last one is fantastic! My question is the same as Ametto's.
  • Thanks, guys. That one's just Photoshop over a pencil sketch. I used to do a lot more "digital painting", but I've been really concentrating on comics lately.
  • Started drawing on paper a little, along with playing around with some style things. I'm going to start doodling more on paper. I think drawing on my tablet PC only was impeding me a lot since it was too easy to fix mistakes, as well as let me zoom in and be perhaps too precise.

Anyway here is a link to the sketches on my dA account.
  • @Mamath and Funfetus and Kiev: Oh man, anyone who does even one comic page equals beyond awesome!

@Uglyfred: I really like those designs. All the little intricate details are something I want to get better at!

@Mankoon: I totally want to steal your Cintiq!

This is a character design for a low poly 3D character I am making. I could picture him running around in a Wii game. I want to eventually animate him fighting like a huge boss character. It's going to be really fun! I'm going to post the 3D model I have so far along with the concept.

• Damn! That is the kind of style I like Ktep.
  • Yeah, that's nice stuff! I also like the style. What are you modeling in? I keep making half-ass attempts to learn to model well (I know the basics, but I'm no good) to speed up some of the comic stuff I do. Also -- you have a website or Deviantart or anything? I'd like to see more of your stuff.
  • Kyu-wel. Nice to see another 3D modeler on the forums. You use 3DS Max or Maya? I'm a Maya girl myself. I really like your character designs, too! More PLZ.
  • Kiey, your characters are coming along nicely. Are you going to do studies for all of them ?

Ktepy, that's totally rad! One day ... I'll get back into 3-d too!
    I love the little ball creature. Do you think you'll animate the wing's with a plane and a transparent texture or would it be in post? I hope you post more! Oh and my Cintiq only hangs out with cool people XD. Until you're as cool as you're drawings, no cintiq for juu!
  • Wow, ktep, just wow. What's the polygon count on that?
  • edited April 2008
    Thanks for the comments! The concept for the character is actually a re-hash of an old design that I never used for my 3D animation thesis back in college. His new story and design is so much cooler now that I had to at least make him into 3D.

@gomidog: I started out as a Max guy and got decent at it, but now I am mostly a Maya guy. Yay for Maya's standard animation tools!

@Funfetus: Do you model characters or objects to help with your comics? Cause I know comic book artists who use Poser to help with character shots, so I think it's great that people are starting to utilize 3D in that way. I do have a website, but it totally needs an update. It is here. Also my deviant art account name is ktep.

@myself: For everything including the little creature and sword, it comes to 6589 triangles which is 3582 polygons.

edit: Added reply to Myself.
    Post edited by ktep on
  • edited April 2008
    @Funfetus: Do you model characters or objects to help with your comics? Cause I know comic book artists who use Poser to help with character shots, so I think it's great that people are starting to utilize 3D in that way.
    Not for characters -- I feel like my figure drawing is pretty solid, at least solid enough that Poser wouldn't be any help, and my gesture drawing is probably my strongest point. I can't imagine being able to pose a 3D model as naturally as I can draw a figure. I'm mostly interested in using 3D for very repetitive stuff, like quickly modeling a bunch of skyscrapers instead of spending hours with a ruler (or line tool, as the case may be) drawing thousands of individual windows. Once you have the basic perspective skills, it's basically monkey work. Or if I have some kind of mechanical object that I need a bunch of -- probably easier to draw one or two, but easier to model and render if I need 20.

Nice stuff on the DA -- I see you've dabbled in comics a bit yourself.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • @mankoon: The wings are definitely going to be 2 planes with an alpha map. I just forgot to model it. Thanks for the reminder! I consider myself beyond cool. My drawings got nothing on me, so let me at least touch the Cintiq!^_^;

@Funfetus: That's a great use of 3D and makes a lot of sense. My comic dabbling is really sad though compared to your works. I have no sense of storytelling and pacing.
  • edited April 2008
    Here's a sketch I did today. It was enjoyable. That's an Ikea seat design... I just put the dude on it.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • That dude looks a little punk for an Ikea chair like that. He needs to be sitting on some used needles, vomit and broken glass on a corner somewhere.

Nice stuff -- I like the way you draw the folds on the clothing.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm jealous of your clothing fold ability! It's so awesome! I also love how you drew the hair.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited April 2008
    That dude looks a little punk for an Ikea chair like that. He needs to be sitting on some used needles, vomit and broken glass on a corner somewhere.

Nice stuff -- I like the way you draw the folds on the clothing.
    HAHA! It's so true. He wouldn't sit on that! I was thinking of making him more uncomfortable on it but I didn't do it. Maybe he's from Stockholm. Anyway, thanks!
    I'm jealous of your clothing fold ability! It's so awesome! I also love how you drew the hair.
    For clothing folds, just put a bunch of lines down. Once you start doing it, it gets pretty fun and you get better at it. About the hair, I drew this in a sandwich shop so I had the other costumer's hair to go off of. It was quite fun to observe. Thanks!
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Nice, Mankoon. Punk kid defiance!
  • Mankoon, you know I always love your sketches, but aren't you suppose to be working on something else, young lady? *slap* =P

On a side note, punk kids these days are all vegans and drink tea! They aren't your average punk kids from the 80s! That aside, they still would not be found on ikea chairs.
  • edited April 2008
    Totally put this in the wrong thread. x.x
    Post edited by kage_rod on

• On a side note, punk kids these days are all vegans and drink tea! They aren't your average punk kids from the 80s! That aside, they still would not be found on ikea chairs.
    Well, to be fair, "punk kids these days" covers a really broad range of types -- at least unless things have changed a lot in the 3 years or so I've been away from the scene. There's your vegan political crusty types, your snobby indie zine-making types, your average alcoholic shitbag types, and lots more.

Anyway, since this is a topic now, here's a guy I drew a while ago:
  • Mankoon, you know I always love your sketches, but aren't you suppose to be working on something else, young lady? *slap* =P
    Ouch! I can't work on that while I'm away from the home pc!

Also, about this whole punk discussion, I have reason to believe the guy I drew is probably a wannabe.
    Funfetus, once again, nice work!
    While we are on this subject, is anyone interested in drawing punk scrym or punk moe scrym... suicide girls scrym ?
  • Funfetus, I hope you understand I was totally joking. =) And really awesome drawing man!

Suicide girls Scrym - oh Mankoon have mercy on my poor soul!
  • Suicide girls...eeeeeewww.

Funfetus, that drawing you did looks alot like a friend of mine form college.
  • Turn around, stick it out, even white boys got to shout..
  • Turn around, stick it out, even white boys got to shout..
    Hahahahaha. Totally.
  • My roommates girlfriend is a Suicide Girl.
  • Yeah, so? It is pr0n and it sucks like any other Pr0n.