This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Obama's Distaff Support

edited March 2008 in Politics
This article must be read to be believed. The author says that
I can't help it, but reading about such episodes of screaming, gushing and swooning [over Obama - my edit] makes me wonder whether women -- I should say, "we women," of course -- aren't the weaker sex after all. Or even the stupid sex, our brains permanently occluded by random emotions, psychosomatic flailings and distraction by the superficial. Women "are only children of a larger growth," wrote the 18th-century Earl of Chesterfield. Could he have been right?
and concludes
The theory that women are the dumber sex -- or at least the sex that gets into more car accidents -- is amply supported by neurological and standardized-testing evidence. Men's and women's brains not only look different, but men's brains are bigger than women's (even adjusting for men's generally bigger body size). The important difference is in the parietal cortex, which is associated with space perception. Visuospatial skills, the capacity to rotate three-dimensional objects in the mind, at which men tend to excel over women, are in turn related to a capacity for abstract thinking and reasoning, the grounding for mathematics, science and philosophy. . . .

So I don't understand why more women don't relax, enjoy the innate abilities most of us possess (as well as the ones fewer of us possess) and revel in the things most important to life at which nearly all of us excel: tenderness toward children and men and the weak and the ability to make a house a home. (Even I, who inherited my interior-decorating skills from my Bronx Irish paternal grandmother, whose idea of upgrading the living-room sofa was to throw a blanket over it, can make a house a home.) Then we could shriek and swoon and gossip and read chick lit to our hearts' content and not mind the fact that way down deep, we are . . . kind of dim.
This article proposes that there is an actual class difference between women who stiol support Clinton and the women who are now supporting Obama.

What do you think?

Comments

• What do you think?
    Both articles are from the same paper. Maybe they have an agenda?
  • I don't know about all the specifics of the differences, but - yes - men and women are different. The way a person processes and deals with their emotions tends to have a high correlation to their gender, and deriding one method as inferior to another - or is indicative of one's intelligence or lack thereof - is irresponsible and divisive.

At the risk of sounding regressive, I understand and appreciate the fact that most men and women are very different in their method of handling emotions, and I believe that trying to say that there is no difference between the two will only exacerbate miscommunication and frustration between the sexes.
  • Wait, I swoon and gosh over Obama too and I'm a heterosexual guy.
    Sure you are...
    Sure you are...
    As the woman sleeping with him, I'm inclined to agree that Cremlian is, in fact, heterosexual.
  • As the woman sleeping with him, I'm inclined to agree that Cremlian is, in fact, heterosexual.
    Oh snap!
  • As the woman sleeping with him, I'm inclined to agree that Cremlian is, in fact, heterosexual.
    *disturbed*
    Sure you are...
    As the woman sleeping with him, I'm inclined to agree that Cremlian is, in fact, heterosexual.
    Are you sure he is not in fact bisexual?
  • edited March 2008
    But seriously, don't you think that women would be rightly offended about those two articles? One says they're dumb and one says they're fickle.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited March 2008

Are you sure he is not in fact bisexual?
    Yes.
    But seriously, don't you think that women would be rightly offended about those two articles? Ones says they're dumb and one says they're fickle.
    Also, yes. I started to write a tirade on the matter, but I was so irritated by the whole thing that I had to table it for the time being. The biggest problem is that gross generalizations are being made in both cases. There are dumb people out in this world, but to call those people who get swept away by emotion when a candidate who delivers fairly strong rhetorical presentations and represents a potential wave of change is fairly irresponsible. Who is to say that any of the women who fainted didn't faint because of a health problem or overheating due to a packed auditorium or hall, both fairly reasonable explanations which were completely ignored. The notion that women are fickle or indecisive is also irrelevant. Both men and women are equally entitled to change their minds about candidates as many times as they like during the campaign season, especially if they do not like the manner in which a campaign is being run or question a candidates qualifications or stances on a issue. This article seems to trickle back into the ridiculous notion that all females should automatically vote for Hillary Clinton, simply because she is female and not because she may be considered a qualified candidate for the position because of her senatorial experience and/or her time as First Lady.

The only apparent beneficiary is the republican party as this general bashing of the democractics and their supporters could potentially boost Clinton or Obama supporters and could potentially further prolong outcome of the Democratic primaries.
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • I started to write a tirade on the matter, but I was so irritated by the whole thing that I had to table it for the time being.
    Yes, please favor us with a tirade. Things have been so breathlessly dull around here lately . . .
  • edited March 2008
    I'm a guy and I think thos articals r st00pid.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • ANTHROPOLOGIST

RAGING
  • Well I'm thoroughly pissed and it's only 1am.
  • Well I'm thoroughly pissed and it's only 1am.
    Do you mean that in the British sense or the American sense?
  • Written in the same style as the WaPo article: How Dumb Can Republicans Get?
    As sad as it may be, several of the alleged myths about 21st-century Republicanism have been proven true. We really do fetishize war and want to drown Medicare and Social Security in a bathtub. The size of our automobiles is inversely proportionate to our "manly characteristic." Moreover, a study published by Regent University revealed that Republican men are statistically more prone to closeted gay sex than Democratic men. (The only good news was that closeted Republican men tended to be single, so the revelations of their sex lives didn't destroy entire families with twelve or more children.) And then there was that study that showed that liberals are more adaptable than conservatives. Surely, the theory that Republicans are the dumber party is amply supported by the candidates they put forward for President. . . .

So this is my message to Republicans: embrace your stupidity! Revel in the things that differentiate us from bleeding heart, tax-and-spend liberals: making boatloads of money off the backs of the working poor, imposing our twisted and hypocritical morality on others, and bullying sovereign nations into accepting corporatocracy through military force. Accept it willingly, so we can giggle and moon and sigh at the latest manly declarations by John "Straight Talk" McCain and deny the fact that deep down inside, we are utterly soulless idiots.
  • edited March 2008
    ANTHROPOLOGIST

RAGING
    Animator....also...raging!!!!! Feminist SMASH!

Seriously, the woman who wrote this is of the same ilk as a Jewish Neo-nazi...in order to write such things, her self loathing must be immense. As a firm believer in the use of scientific knowledge in the observation of the world, I will not argue with the fact that there are unavoidable physical differences between the biological sexes. I am sometimes frustrated when I can't run as fast or throw as far as some of my male comrades, and hormonal-chemical balances of the body do influence behavior to some extent. To what extent our behavior is biologically controlled versus a product of cultural influences is still being hotly debated. I tend to be a bit more in the "nurture" over "nature" camp, but with both biologists and anthropologists among my circle of friends, I understand the importance of both. However, to suggest that women are weaker intellectually is absolute flipping crap on a shingle. That this so called journalist's "chicks are dumb" theory is "is amply supported by neurological and standardized-testing evidence." is ridiculous. There have been other studies that said that women are just as good at maths and science as men, but actually by a margin more skilled with creative, artistic, and metaphorical thinking. (Rym says I have a good fusiform gyrus, which shows that he is a good boyfriend.) Sure, slightly different, but aren't all humans? Race and Sex are both controlled by DNA, which controls slight differences in physical make up and bodily structure, but only the most heinous KKK asshat would even suggest that these factors make humans superior or inferior to each other. I cannot wait for the day when society becomes truly color-blind and gender-blind. That will be a good day. Until then, we must go all Twisty on the jerks that perpetuate the cycle of bigotry.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited March 2008
    Why do some women buy into the thinking behind the WaPo article? For instance, a FOX News anchorwoman said that women at FOX want to be feminine, so they don't wear pants.

Is that acting against their self interest, or is it acting selfishly and selling out their gender?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited March 2008
    Why do they buy into it? Yah got me. Fox anchor women who say they want to be "feminine" aren't acting in their own self interest in the grand scheme of things, but they might receive trivial benefits from showing a little leg. This so called "Femininity" is largely a cultural construct (there is no gene in my body that makes me want to wear pantyhose) and basically revolves around artificially creating a certain trait thought to be desirable by men within the society. (Footbinding?) Basically it operates on by similar mechanism to any other sort of "conformity" but it is gender specific. The person in question receives acceptance and small rewards (such as men of that culture thinking they are t3h h0tness? I guess?) from the majority or dominant class. By buying into this "femininity" they are preventing change and compromising themselves. Here's an analogy. The geek that hides all their geeky interests and wears clothes they don't like and does things they don't want to do and acts stupid because they really REALLY want to be popular versus the geek that embraces their fun lifestyle and lives up to their intellectual potential and DOESN'T CARE about FAKING being a NON GEEK! Women who do the traditional feminine routine are the former. The latter are those women that act like normal human beings and do what they want rather than what others want them to do. Wear the clothes they feel good in. Make-up is a pain! High heels make it hard to walk! Yours truly is not a fan of this...femininity.
  • edited March 2008
    By the way, my lovely gomidog, good news - there is actually no biological basis for race. None at all. In fact, humans have far less genetic variation than other species. (Which makes sense, seeing as how people from all over the world interbreed!) There is also more variation within one so-called "race" than between two races. People get hung up on a few details of outward appearance that stand out to us - skin color and what have you - but the genes that code for that are only a miniscule part of our biological makeup. Race is a social category only - it has no basis in biology at all.

As for the article, aside from commenting on what a poor satire writer the author is (if it was even meant as satire at all,) I can't really say any more than what Emily already did. The author is fucking bonkers.

Also, mad props for the phrase "flipping crap on a shingle."
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Yay! Yay! Happy Knowledge that "race" is purely societal!
  • When men do dumb things, though, they tend to be catastrophically dumb, such as blowing the paycheck on booze or much, much worse (think "postal"). Women's foolishness is usually harmless. But it can be so . . . embarrassing.
    I am perfectly willing to admit that I myself am a classic case of female mental deficiencies. I can't add 2 and 2 (well, I can, but then what?). I don't even know how many pairs of shoes I own.
    Translation: "See, everyone's an idiot! And men are violent idiots!". What an enriching insight into human nature.

All I see here is one woman trying to justify her own shallowness and intellectual laziness.
  • By the way, my lovely gomidog, good news - there is actually no biological basis for race.
    I'm not espousing the views of the WaPo article, but what does race have to do with this?
    The person in question receives acceptance and small rewards (such as men of that culture thinking they are t3h h0tness? I guess?) from the majority or dominant class.
    Do you think that person feels that she gets any dominance-points over other women? That is, do you think she does it not only to patronize men, but to belittle and dominate other women?
  • You know, now I think about it it's really not sharp enough to get worked up over. As Alex says, all there really is to see here is a poorly thought out heap of tired stereotypes.

One of the responses to her article:
    Her essay doesn't prove anything so much as raise a question: Is this the best an anti-feminist can do? Perhaps Allen could have some space in the Post each week for her finest material. She could point out that women wear pink and smile a lot and can't lift heavy things. Once a month, women go crazy and eat a lot of chocolate! Did you know babies come out of women sometimes? Yuck!
    It just makes me wonder at the woman who not only suggests that she herself is a fool, but feels it necessary to lump the rest of humanity in there with her. Speak for yourself, ye idjit. Maybe its just that misery (or stupidity) loves company.

• I'm not espousing the views of the WaPo article, but what does race have to do with this?
    Race and Gender (Femininity/Masculinity) are both largely imaginary. As Fred says, race is more imaginary than gender, but both are small physical differences that people use as lame excuses to pick on each other. In that respect, sexism and racism have a lot in common, therefore people who are sexist should realize that their views are tantamount to any other sort of discrimination. That's all.
    Do you think that person feels that she gets any dominance-points over other women? That is, do you think she does it not only to patronize men, but to belittle and dominate other women?
    I suppose. If she does it to gain an advantage in the hierarchical power structure that is society, sure. Pretty much everything all comes down to that dominating-dominated relationship in the end.
  • High heels make it hard to walk!
    What do you think about this study that says high heels are healthy?
  • race is more imaginary than gender
    I don't know what kind of people you hang out with but gender is far from imaginary.
  • race is more imaginary than gender
    I don't know what kind of people you hang out with but gender is far from imaginary.
    Gender is real, but there's an extent to which gender roles are constructed.
  • Isn't the usual distinction that "gender" refers to the social roles, and "sex" to the purely biological part? Given that, yes, a good part of gender is imaginary. The biology influences it, but so does culture and conscious choice.

While it's true that most of humanity falls into one of two, uh, camps in either regard, the line has historically been wider and fuzzier than you might suspect.
  • edited March 2008
    Isn't the usual distinction that "gender" refers to the social roles, and "sex" to the purely biological part?
    That's the way I use the words. Sex = DNA and "Gender Roles" = Social Behavior. Maybe I am over-simplifying but I need terms to differentiate the two.
    Prove it.