This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I received some irony in the mail today...

edited March 2008 in Movies
How does one received irony in the mail?...well, in the shape of 5 free HD-DVDs about a month after the format dies a painful death. But they're free, so I guess I can't complain.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    How does one received irony in the mail?...well, in the shape of 5 free HD-DVDs about a month after the format dies a painful death. But they're free, so I guess I can't complain.
    Coasters. Either that, or save them for a few decades. If you show them to some kids it would be like showing kids now some Betamax tapes.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I remember seeing a laser disc for the first time a few months ago. So shiny.
    I remember actually watching Laser Discs in school when I was young.
  • edited March 2008
    Some of my science teachers had Laser Disc players in their class rooms. That is the only time I have ever seen a Laser Disc.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited March 2008
    I think when the 1960s Astro Boy was shown at Animethon one year, they showed it on Laser Disc. I also remember seeing someone's complete Sailor Moon LD collection on display at the exhibitor's hall a couple years. I agree - so shiny. o.O
    Coasters. Either that, or save them for a few decades. If you show them to some kids it would be like showing kids now some Betamax tapes.
    You know, that's not a bad idea (keeping them for Betamax-like curiosity's sake). Maybe I should do that and get one HD DVD version of a movie I already own. Goodness knows how I wish I would have kept a few things from my childhood that would either be worth something now or be neat to have for the "hey look, this is how things used to be" value.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • You know, that's not a bad idea (keeping them for Betamax-like curiosity's sake). Maybe I should do that and get one HD DVD version of a movie I already own. Goodness knows how I wish I would have kept a few things from my childhood that would either be worth something now or be neat to have for the "hey look, this is how things used to be" value.
    When Rym and I bought Nintendo DSes on launch day, we had a similar logic. At best, it would be an amazing system worth every penny. At worst, it would end up like the Virtual Boy, and it would be cool to show people we have them years down the road. It turns out the former was true.

For HD-DVD, there will be a Betamax factor, but I don't think it is a very strong one. The major reason for that is that HD-DVD looks just like any other optical disc. Betamax or 8-track tapes look different, so they get the ooh and ahh factor.
  • For HD-DVD, there will be a Betamax factor, but I don't think it is a very strong one. The major reason for that is that HD-DVD looks just like any other optical disc. Betamax or 8-track tapes look different, so they get the ooh and ahh factor.
    Yeah, well... HD-DVD boxes are red. ;)
  • edited March 2008
    I have a friend that has a laser disk player, he has the Indiana Jones movies, Star Wars, and a few anime disks. Last I knew all of them where big time collectors items.

I bought one of the $98 HD-DVD players at Wal-Mart. I didn't buy any movies at the time as they were to expensive. I will say that it is hands down the best upscaling DVD player I have ever seen. I have about 11 HD-DVD's - The 5 I got free and the others I bought 1/2 price on Amazon.

I don't regret buying the HD-DVD player. I hope someone hacks the firmware to play DIVX, that would be a nice feature. The thing has at least 512 MB of ram, a network port, a USB port and I heard it had a Pentium 4 for the HD processing. Someone has got to be hacking on it. It might turn out to be a nice streaming media player if someone puts some time into it.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • All the retailers are selling their HD-DVD players as "Hi-Def Upscaling DVD players". Funny thing is that the death of HD-DVD may just result in HD-DVD having a far larger installed base than Blu-ray.
  • I have about two hundred audio cassettes lying around.

Anybody want some irony in the mail?
  • Anybody want some irony in the mail?
    I've already got plenty of bronzy.
  • Believe it or not, a cassette player is all my old car has ('99 Cavalier).
  • I was going to buy an HD player just for the upscaling but I found an upscaling DVD player for only $40. So it was minimum $100 vs. $40... Yeah, I'm cheap like that!
  • I found this thing the other day when I was looking for my DJ like head phones. It was rectangular and it to little holes in it and it was larger on the bottom than it was on the top. It was black and it was weird...what is it?
    And next to it there was a box that was larger that it and there was a hole that was the same size as the black box and it had two pegs in it. I wonder what it was I was able make it work and horrible sounding, low quality music came out of it.
    I remember that! When I was in 6th grade our geography books had laser disks that went with them. I guess it was supposed to be "high tech" back when they came out.
    I remember that! When I was in 6th grade our geography books had laser disks that went with them. I guess it was supposed to be "high tech" back when they came out.
    I watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in Elementary school. What a weird world it would be if Laser Discs had stuck around!